The Student Room Group

Write a short story to describe your worse case scenario exam day

It's 9:00am.

GCSE Chemistry.

I sit down.

The lenses in my eyes pulsate to accommodate themselves to the monochrome fine print of the exam. I scribble my name in the relative box, along with my candidate number and other miscellaneous details. I scan through the instructions "Use a ballpoint black pen...".

"You may start" the morose invigilator screeches, like an ultrasound bat.

I hear the army of zombie students simultaneously mutilate their papers, and I sense a weak gust of air penetrate my face from the gargantuan A4 movement.

I clamp the corner of the fresh crisp paper between my finger and thumb, and, trying to remain calm, I flip the initial page over, as it flutters gently to a peaceful sleep on my small yet sturdy desk.

The veins in my eyes throb with anguish as I read the first question. All of a sudden, I feel... light headed. My eye lids flicker in symbiosis with my adrenaline influenced heartbeat.

They plead my brain to let them close, but it refuses them this basic right.

I continue the paper, but I feel the secreted water upon my corneas surface, blurring my vision, and invigorating my dry, Sahara like eyes.

My eye lids shut.

The next thing I know, the exam is over, and you've filled in two questions.

Don't pull all nighters before an exam kids.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Green-Xenon

Second this :tongue: . Apparently, one person came out of an exam thinking they'd done really well after skipping two night's sleep, and all they'd done is write their name over and over again as the answers :facepalm:

Sleep is very important! :yep:
I awoke at 10am.

The exam started an hour ago. School is 45 minutes away. The latest I can start the exam is 10:30.

Balls.

Go back to bed. Fail.

This is what mock exams are for though! :yep:
Reply 3
I think the mocks at our school... weren't legit XD We just did most in class with not too much control. I don't know if you guys did them like a real exam? In a hall or what? :')
Reply 4
Spelling my name wrong (and forgetting it) on an English exam... Oh, I've already done that..
I walk into the sports hall (our exam room), take the pens out of my bag. Examiner says we can commence. Pens are blue (or worse, don't work), and the question that comes up, I haven't been taught..
I hear the army of zombie students simultaneously mutilate their papers, and I sense a weak gust of air penetrate my face from the gargantuan A4 movement.

:colondollar:
I think the mocks at our school... weren't legit XD We just did most in class with not too much control. I don't know if you guys did them like a real exam? In a hall or what? :')

We did ours in an exam hall. With invigilators and everything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
It's 4PM

****, overslept.

The end.
Forget my scientific calculator to a calculator exam, examiner says we only have standard calculators. Happened in my mock exam, ended up doing badly, for the real exam im going to check I have my calculator.
Reply 9
S1 May 2013

Spoiler

that was my worst exam ever, all my other maths exams were 90+ :sigh:

don't think it can get much worse than that, revising constantly for an exam feeling confident and then missing out on the A grade by 1ums, despicable
Reply 10
Worst case? Ooh, I think I can do that.

9:00. I wake up. Exam is in half an hour, building is ten minutes' walk away. Friend will already have made very strong coffee in the kitchen.

Open eyes. Around me: as far as my myopic eyes can see, there are humans, small bundles of wires leading into their necks from small devices attached to their backs. With growing fear, I run a hand down my neck, and down the fibres towards the little box which is strapped to me.

The pain begins. Unimaginable pain - literally too much for this language to even begin describing. It abates for a moment, during which the certain knowledge comes to me (transmitted through the wires) that all of humanity is in this state, and that every second a billion more humans are being created just so that they can be subjected to the maximum possible level of pain. Then this moment of clarity is wiped out by the agony.

Another millisecond passes.
True story

GCSE Biology 2 exam day (January, so no study leave). Sat down in form waiting for teacher to tell us to go. Noticed after about 10 minutes that I was the only additional science person there, and while it wasn't uncommon for me to be early to form group there was usua- CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP

Ran out of the class, down the hall and stairs, almost ran straight into the invigilator in my hurry, threw my bag down, grabbed a pen, luckily he was feeling nice and gave me a paper so I walked in and sat down. Needless to say, that specific exam was my lowest GCSE grade. Combination of being late, worrying, being slightly exhausted, and the constant thought that I almost missed the exam ruined it.
Reply 12
It's 9:00am.

GCSE Chemistry.

I sit down.

The lenses in my eyes pulsate to accommodate themselves to the monochrome fine print of the exam. I scribble my name in the relative box, along with my candidate number and other miscellaneous details. I scan through the instructions "Use a ballpoint black pen...".

"You may start" the morose invigilator screeches, like an ultrasound bat.

I clamp the corner of the fresh crisp paper between my finger and thumb, and, trying to remain calm, I flip the initial page over, as it flutters gently to a peaceful sleep on my small yet sturdy desk.

The veins in my eyes throb with anguish as I read the first question. All of a sudden, I feel... light headed. My eye lids flicker in symbiosis with my adrenaline influenced heartbeat.

They plead my brain to let them close, but it refuses them this basic right.

I continue the paper, but I feel the secreted water upon my corneas surface, blurring my vision, and invigorating my dry, Sahara like eyes.

My eye lids shut.

The next thing I know, the exam is over, and you've filled in two questions.

When I was sitting in between two girls: One who knew she had failed and could not stop crying; The other who was coughing relentlessly (She used to do it all the time in lectures and it used to drive everyone mad). Then there was this one where I had misunderstood the question and written a load of dross that was not even relevant -- and did not realise that until I left the exam. Also there was the one when I was still in school, where some chavvy girl decided to throw book over the invigilators who had screamed earlier at her to stop writing!!

And there was this one during friend's General Studies exams where he put the following on the paper :

'THIS **** IS CRAP. I HATE GENERAL STUDIES'

And then he went on to do three pages of Physics revision. He was later disqualified from the future General Studies exams, but somehow got into Dentistry. Obviously, it did not bother him too much!
Reply 13
*Sits down in exam room*

*Taliban enter and halt proceedings with a large explosion killing everyone inside*
Reply 14
Feeling ill out of nerves or needing the loo. I revise a lot and I do well in class but my exams don't show this. So any case of not knowing the answer/ running out of time/ other people being noisy/being ill/hungry/tired. Any of these.

Worst case : 2 A2 exams on the same day each 2 hrs (one psychology and one philosophy) This year . Great.
Reply 15
Original post by whydoidothis?
Forget my scientific calculator to a calculator exam, examiner says we only have standard calculators. Happened in my mock exam, ended up doing badly, for the real exam im going to check I have my calculator.

I did this! Forgot my scientific calculator to my S1 exam two years ago and they gave me a normal one, the formulae took ages to do by hand and I ended up not finishing :colondollar:
Worst case scenario:

Sit down. Open history paper:
'****, this was the one section I didn't revise'.
Me= screwed.
Reply 17
My English Language mock from December last year - never again

> Stay up until 2am the previous night revising as I'm terrible at Language
> Wake up at 5am, sick, parents say "see how you go, try the exam"
> 8am, just leaving for school, sick again
> Go into exam, first one there, tell invigilators about problems
> "Ok, sit down the front so you can get out quickly if you need to"
> Opens paper, works for 30mins or so
> Has to rush to toilet twice during exam
> Sent home, go to doctor following day, stress-related gastroenteritis b/c exams
> Go into school three days later, English teacher tells me that despite sickness, I should have done better
> First (and hopefully final) U grade.
Original post by Flauta
I did this! Forgot my scientific calculator to my S1 exam two years ago and they gave me a normal one, the formulae took ages to do by hand and I ended up not finishing :colondollar:

I know how you felt afterwards
Reply 19
Came out of my AS Physics happy but got a U grade.
Hope this never happens again.
Worst case scenario this year would be having to repeat all 3 uni exams in August and then failing those and then having to repeat in May when I should be finished in 2015 as I have hated my degree since I started in September 2012.

Quick Reply

Latest