The Student Room Group

Edinbugh or Glasgow University for Mechanical Engineering

I am struggling to decide between Edinburgh and Glasgow universities. My Glasgow offer is for mech eng with aeronautics, as I'm thinking the aeronautics could be quite interesting. Edinburgh is for just mech eng, but might do the 'with renewable energy' if I do go there, as there is unfortunately no aeronautics there. Glasgow uni has completely new labs which look great, but Edinburgh for me would be the best place to live.
Is there anyone in a similar situation or who could give an opinion on what they think about both universities for these courses?
Reply 1
Why not Strathclyde? It has the biggest and highest rated mechanical engineering department and has the most research departments and most industrial links so very good career prospects. It has both aeronautical and renewable energy departments and many more.
It is the most prominent UK uni in renewable energy- it has 4 doctoral training centre links.
The renewable energy at Edinburgh is actually a collaboration with Strathclyde's wind and wave department.
Try them all out. They are all great units but I think Strathclyde should be first choice for engineering. Good luck!
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply llamaduck. I do know that Strathclyde has a great reputation for engineering, but I have decided not to go there as the 'feel' of where it is just isn't for me.
I'm just struggling to find a balance between somewhere I would want to live for 5 years and the quality of the course. If only Glasgow's course was at Edinburgh, it would be perfect!
Are you at Strathclyde/going there?
Reply 3
Original post by Runner14
I am struggling to decide between Edinburgh and Glasgow universities. My Glasgow offer is for mech eng with aeronautics, as I'm thinking the aeronautics could be quite interesting. Edinburgh is for just mech eng, but might do the 'with renewable energy' if I do go there, as there is unfortunately no aeronautics there. Glasgow uni has completely new labs which look great, but Edinburgh for me would be the best place to live.
Is there anyone in a similar situation or who could give an opinion on what they think about both universities for these courses?

Usually the mechanical engineering courses that say "with something" at the end of the title are just courses with the pre-selected optional modules for you already.

As for which one to pick, I wouldn't place a lot of emphasis on the optional modules as it doesn't really matter which of those two you go to since you will be able to still work in both renewable/aeronautics industries with a mechanical engineering degree anyway. That being said go to whichever place you found a better atmosphere for you.
Reply 4
Thanks for your reply llamaduck. I do know that Strathclyde has a great reputation for engineering, but I have decided not to go there as the 'feel' of where it is just isn't for me.
I'm just struggling to find a balance between somewhere I would want to live for 5 years and the quality of the course. If only Glasgow's course was at Edinburgh, it would be perfect!

Yes I'm at Strathclyde doing Electrical Engineering but I know many mechanical students. There is actually an Electrical and Mechanical Engineering course that covers both disciplines too.
Edinburgh is a nicer city to live in and Strathclyde's campus is very plain- however a point to bear in mind is Strathclyde opening the new Technology and Innovation Centre (https://www.strath.ac.uk/tic/).
In all honesty both Edinburgh and Strathclyde are fantastic unis- Glasgow is too (but you said you don't want to live here).
You can't really go wrong.
The advantage of Strathclyde is that it is an engineering uni, it has a big department with lots of funding and is constantly expanding.
Edinburgh is a historic uni with an excellent reputation so getting a job from either won't be a problem.
Are you aiming to start uni in September 2014?
You should go to a few open days or just go to the departments and look around to help you make your mind up.

I had offers from Glasgow, Edinburgh and Strathclyde and never knew anything about Strathclyde (I'm from Glasgow and everyone wants to go to Glasgow uni) but when I went to the open day the size of the department, the funding and the opportunities made Strathclyde a no-brainer.

Honestly though Edinburgh is an excellent uni with lots of great oppurtunities too.
A mech eng degree will get you a good job anywhere so choose where you will be happy to live for the next 4/5 years.
I'm currently finishing my 4th year and although I don't particularly like Glasgow, I couldn't afford to stay anywhere else so I never had your options.
Good luck- you really can't make a bad decision:
It's a bit like choosing between a burger or a pizza- both will be delicious and there is no wrong choice, just what you prefer.
Reply 5

You could live in the same place in Glasgow regardless of whether you go to Glasgow Uni or Strathclyde. They are about 15 minutes door-to-door on the subway.
Reply 6
Thanks for all the great responses guys.
Yeh, I'm starting uni this sep. llamaduck, and I have been to all the open days. I just wasn't sure if by going to Edinburgh because I like the feel of the city would compromise course opportunities. Glasgow uni is very nice too and its new labs are much better than Edinburgh's un-updated ones, so that's something that's also causing my indecision. Edinburgh feels a bit more 'open' compared to Glasgow, but I suppose I would get used to it if I went to Glasgow.
Reply 7
I also would maybe like to do some kind of aeronautic subjects, but I don't think Edinburgh offers these.
Hey, I was just wondering what your offers were for both edinburgh and glasgow?

Quick Reply

Latest