The Student Room Group

Bonds

Hey guys,

I'm doing chemistry gcse aqa, and in unit 2 you have to refer to the type of bonds quite a lot. I was wondering, when do you use 'intermolecular forces', electrostatic forces', and 'forces of attraction'. I get so confused!

Forces of attraction is very general - best to be as specific as possible when answering :yep:

Electrostatic forces - between ions like Na+ and Cl- or between charged particles inside an atom (proton and electron)

intermolecular forces - these are in between 2 or more molecules, most relevant when talking about boiling and melting points of substances.
DON'T USE FORCES OF ATTRACTION.
Electrostatic attraction is in metals and ionic compounds.
Intermolecular forces are in graphite.
Reply 3
Original post by rm_27
Hey guys,

I'm doing chemistry gcse aqa, and in unit 2 you have to refer to the type of bonds quite a lot. I was wondering, when do you use 'intermolecular forces', electrostatic forces', and 'forces of attraction'. I get so confused!

Intermolecular forces are those which are between the molecule such as van der waals, dipole dipole and hydrogen bonding.

The bonding between atoms can be ionic, covalent or metallic.

Electrostatic forces of attraction occur when you have Na+ and Cl-

The greater the charge of the ions, the greater the electrostatic force of attraction therefore higher melting point.

Quick Reply

Latest