The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Anyone has any opinion on CLV Leeds (previously Opal 3)?

I am quite interested in CLV Leeds as it offers very similar features to Sky Plaza at a cheaper price. However, I heard that it has been through a couple management teams, and it has only VERY recently been transferred to the last management team CLV. That makes me a bit nervous even though I like the facilities and the room's features.

So if there is anyone staying there right now (or had previously stayed), what do you think about the current management? Do things seem to be running alright? How are the rooms' condition?

If you have stayed there previously when it was still Opal 3, it would be great to hear your experiences too. I didn't find much reviews on Opal 3, and being an international student, I won't be able to do a room viewing until I am moving in.

Thanks in advance for any opinion. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by kaitune
I am quite interested in CLV Leeds as it offers very similar features to Sky Plaza at a cheaper price. However, I heard that it has been through a couple management teams, and it has only VERY recently been transferred to the last management team CLV. That makes me a bit nervous even though I like the facilities and the room's features.

So if there is anyone staying there right now (or had previously stayed), what do you think about the current management? Do things seem to be running alright? How are the rooms' condition?

If you have stayed there previously when it was still Opal 3, it would be great to hear your experiences too. I didn't find much reviews on Opal 3, and being an international student, I won't be able to do a room viewing until I am moving in.

Thanks in advance for any opinion. :smile:

I've booked my room for CLV leeds in September! Although I haven't lived there so can't really give you much info about how it's run, I have been there a few times for viewings and things. Each time I've visited the staff are are very friendly. I pester Jodie the manager non stop with emails and she is always quick to get back to me - they've always been extremely helpful. Also CLV is a relatively large company with properties all over, so I have no doubts they know what they're doing.

Both of the rooms I have been to see have been clean and in good condition and the whole place seems to be well kept!

I hope this helps a little!! :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by kee!
I've booked my room for CLV leeds in September! Although I haven't lived there so can't really give you much info about how it's run, I have been there a few times for viewings and things. Each time I've visited the staff are are very friendly. I pester Jodie the manager non stop with emails and she is always quick to get back to me - they've always been extremely helpful. Also CLV is a relatively large company with properties all over, so I have no doubts they know what they're doing.

Both of the rooms I have been to see have been clean and in good condition and the whole place seems to be well kept!

I hope this helps a little!! :smile:

Thank you. That certainly helps. :smile:
Reply 3
Anyone interested in moving into CLV? I am moving out and want to find a tenant to takeover my room! Its 51 weeks contract, Bronze at level 6, 99 pound per week!
I have lived here for two years now, my first year here was fantastic. However after clv took over the premises I have had a terrible year. They lack basic management and combined young undergrads with postgraduates, which has lead to repeat domestic issues which has now caused a lock down on the flat, completely unjust and without warning. I am now unable to enjoy myself or even invite a friend over due to other flatmates disputes which I am not involved in. I would not recommend staying in clv to anyone.
Reply 5
In case anyone is checking out this thread for opinions as they are looking for a place to stay, I would like to give my 2 cents (/penny) since I actually have been here for nearly a year now.

First, I have to say that I stay in a studio, and my experience would be different from the guy commenting above me, so if you are thinking about staying with flatmates, his situation might be more accurate than mine.

So... Overall, my experience is alright. Not much problem really happen aside from having one party girl in the floor (but her room is fortunately far away from mine, so it isn't a big deal.) Since studios are grouped together, and I think that most studio tenants are postgrads, so the studio floors are generally quieter.

To give more details, here is a quick Pros & Cons.

Pro:
-Everything overall is kinda alright. No problem with water, heat, TV or internet connection since I have been here.
-If stuffs break down, the people do come in to fix them. My microwave died, and had been replaced quite quickly. My toilet got blocked a couple of times and they fixed it in reasonable timing.
-A couple of staffs are nice. My neighbour room likes to leave his windows opened while he isn't there (which results in VERY noisy wind sound since we live in high floor), and the night guards are always more than happy to help coming up and shut all the windows for me.
-The higher floors are quiet, which is nice.
-Great location to get to the city centre and train station.
-On discussions with my mates who live in the near-by Sky plaza, they feel that Clv is a bit safer. (My mates sometimes visit me at night, and the Clv night guards would force them to wait downstairs for me to pick them up. In comparison, whenever I visit my mates in Sky plaza at night, I never see any guard, and I always just walk up to their rooms with no problem and no key whatsoever.)
-The studios are pretty big, and they come with TV. (Some other places like Sky Plaza don't give you TV in studios unless you book a premium and very pricey one.)

Con:
-Some of the staffs are quite jerks. They would still do their jobs, but I sometimes have to have unnecessary arguments with them (ie, one time a staff forgot to process my package arrivals, so he wouldn't let me pick up my package even if it was literally sitting there in front of me. He ended up allowing me to take it after some arguments, which was annoying.)
-The internet system forces you to register your devices (max three), so if I have my mates around, they can't use the wifi, which is inconvenient for group meetings.
-The room could have been in a better condition when I moved in. The tenant before me didn't look after the room that well, and I wished CLV had fixed up stuffs that girl broke (ie the blocked toilet) before I have moved it.
-The gym is small, and a couple of the machines are broken. This sometimes causes queue during the peak time.
-When CLV says that they are doing something (ie renovating the laundry room), they don't always stick to the schedule. For example, the renovation of the laundry room should have been a relatively fast and hassle-free experience, but it ended up taking almost two weeks, forcing me to take my laundry to my mate's place.
Reply 6
I was put into clv when I didn't get my first choice for halls (central village). When reading the reviews of where I was going to be living for the next year my heart literally sank at how negative they were and honesty thought it was going to ruin my uni experience. However there are some good points about clv
1) location is literally a 10/10. Right near the city centre, which was ideal for nights out, also really near uni
2) free access to gym upstairs (it's tiny so don't expect much)
3) basically right next to morrisons and the merrion centre where you can literally get all your essentials
4) kitchen and flat size is relatively bigger in comparison to others in different halls
5) pretty social
6) felt really safe living there because there's always someone on duty in reception
7) stuff gets replaced and fixed quickly
8) showers are good
But however. Clv does have some bad points
1) wifi is utter ****. Sometimes you wouldn't get it for over and hour
2) I can only speak for myself, but my flat was in an utter state when I arrived eg- hadn't cleaned in kitchen, randomers clothes in wardrobes, Hoover was broken. The facilities are pretty basic but that's all you need really
3) you're not told when maintenance are coming and if they are.... It's a completely different day and week to what they said . You could be lying in bed asleep and a middle aged builder will walk into your room with out knocking
4) not very sound proof, so can hear music from other flats
5) there was once a fire and my whole floors alarm didn't go off
6) washing Machines are ****. One time my clothes were locked in there for 9 hours and reception said there was nothing they could do about. The machines are also very expensive to use
7) the people they put in different flats aren't evenly distributed. Eg- I was put with all girls, not an issue, but at the start I found it a bit odd that they didn't mix us up with other all boys flats. One of my friends was put in an all international flat who didn't come out of their rooms and she felt it ruined her first year uni experience
8) all the bedrooms in the flats are a bit small
9) our toaster once set fire randomly and clv blamed us even though none of us were using it, but they quickly replaced it

Despite the negatives, I'm really glad I was placed in clv. My friends who are in central village ended up hating it because it's so antisocial. I also made loads of friends and ended up having a bit of a love hate relationship with the place. It's in a great location and has so much potential If they got new staff and a massive refurb

Quick Reply

Latest