The Student Room Group

Why do guys ask for your number on a night out and then never text?

So this has happened twice now where I've met a guy at a club, they've asked for my number (and also if I would go home with them but said no to that one) and I've give them my number, continued dancing and that with them and then got the taxi home to never be contacted again...
I am just curious as to why guys would bother asking for it in the first place if they wanted it to be a one night kind of thing? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So this has happened twice now where I've met a guy at a club, they've asked for my number (and also if I would go home with them but said no to that one) and I've give them my number, continued dancing and that with them and then got the taxi home to never be contacted again...
I am just curious as to why guys would bother asking for it in the first place if they wanted it to be a one night kind of thing? :s-smilie:

Because the kind of guys who ask girls for their number are pointless cowards.

Pointless cowards do not have the balls to actually text a girl.
Some guys go out and play the "how many girls' numbers can I get?" game. Doesn't mean anything to them.
Also, if both guys have asked you to go home with them, I think that's probably all they're interested in.
Reply 3
Because asking for your number shows an indication that they don't intend to throw you aside straight after sex. But you refused to go home with them so have no reason to maintain contact.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The kind of guys you meet on a night out are inevitably scumbags.
Original post by jenkinsear
The kind of guys you meet on a night out are inevitably scumbags.

Yes, every single male on a night out who you start talking to is a massive scumbag.
Original post by Rooster523
Yes, every single male on a night out who you start talking to is a massive scumbag.

Given that 95% just want to sleep with whoever they can get, yes it is fairly accurate. Decent guys don't tend to be going out on seedy nights out 'with the lads' hoping for a 1 night stand.
Cos when they sober up they're afraid that you only liked them because you were drunk or saw him in dimly lit room.

If I were you, I'd ask for their number too, and If you really liked them, try and contact them (if they don't contact first). Often the case is the guy doesn't want to seem a creep, taking advantage of the girl.

Could also be he was either far too drunk to really remember much or you, he's afraid that you might be different than he pictured if he was pretty drunk. Or might be a game. But if the person seems nice enough, it's probably for the reason I stated above. Most people are pretty nice at the end of the day.
Reply 8
Probably to impress their friends, but I have heard that guys play it as a game.
Reply 9
Given that 95% just want to sleep with whoever they can get, yes it is fairly accurate. Decent guys don't tend to be going out on seedy nights out 'with the lads' hoping for a 1 night stand.

Oh dear. there can't be many decent guys around then then.

Most guys go to nightclubs at least occasionally. You're basically saying that the vast majority of guys are scumbags...

because that's the way the cookie crumbles

Again, wonderful sweeping generalisation. If you perpetuate a myth you will begin to believe its true.

And what on earth is a seedy night out?!
Original post by cole-slaw
Oh dear. there can't be many decent guys around then then.

Oh there are, they just don't go clubbing :wink:
Reply 14
Original post by m93100
Probably to impress their friends, but I have heard that guys play it as a game.

What a dumb game. :tongue:
Reply 15

You obviously haven't met me yet! :colone: I always text a girl after getting her number. :biggrin:
Reply 16
I've had a few people try to give me numbers on a night out on a slip of paper or whatever. Very flattering :redface: BUT

1. I'll lose it, never remember it. I'm terrible when drunk.
2. Female friends you're out with will help you to lose it, saying 'that type of girl' doesn't deserve you.
3. I don't really decide I want to know somebody based on looks alone. And when drunk even my judgement of good looking is impaired!
Oh there are, they just don't go clubbing :wink:

That's ridiculous. I met my boyfriend at a club, and no he's not a scumbag.

Stop generalising.
Reply 18

To assess whether they have a chance with you.
Reply 19
Original post by cole-slaw
Why would you think otherwise?

Because it's quite ridiculous. I don't know many people, other than freshers, who really go clubbing that often now. We all go to bars, we all have/had parties, all did the pubs and the crawls and socials. But not clubbing - to many people it's just a bit daft. Doesn't mean you must be religious or what. Dancing is great fun... clubbing isn't, imo. I think it may seem that the majority do it because those are the ones that are shown.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending