The Student Room Group

Worried about my application, what are your opinions?

Ok so this is quite a long story so I'll make it as short as I can. I completed GCSES with very good grades and wanted to go on do do maths , physics and another subject in A levels. Unfortunately due to small number of students and some rules made as a result, I was not able to take either of these subjects because I had no third subject to compliment it so i ended up picking social sciences and finished AS with grades of D E and U. My headmaster advised me to retake the year as I did not have much other option ( studied at an international college, the only one around the area). Me and my parents failing to see what else i could do decided to do this and I repeated the year taking 2 different subject , 1 remaining the same and got a B C and an E. However I learned about possible foundation years that would lead me to the degree opportunites i really desired. I enrolled in the IFP programme in reading and completed the year with 4 grade 1s out of 4 modules and got accepted into meteorology and climate (which is quite competitive in Reading). What i really wanted to go on and do was engineering but did not know that I could apply to other universites with a foundation year and Reading did not offer the courses i wanted. I did not enjoy meteorology much at all and even though i was not having problems academically decided to withdraw once i learnt about the possibility of applying elsewhere.

So ive sent in my application including my IGCSE and foundation results but was advised to and did leave my a level results out. I also did not mention them in my personal statement as a good portion of it was spent explaining why i withdrew from my current course and if i had included all of that most of the personal statement would be explaining rather than proving to them why I want to and can do the course.

Now some friends have told me this was unwise and that Uni's will see my old a level grades and wonder what went wrong. Is there any way I can fix this or let them know some other way? If not, what are your opinions on my chances of getting accepted?

Quick Reply

Latest