The Student Room Group

help about doctors note.

Hi.
I am having some issues, and falling behind in uni work due to anxiety and depression. I have spoken to my tutor who basically advised me to go to the doctors and get a doctors note for an extension (or in the worse case a deferral).
I went to the doctors and my doctor agreed to give me one, along with a recommendation for some anti-depression pills and a double appointment in two weeks time.
HOWEVER.
I dont know how long the doctors note is actually for and if I can use it for an extension on my dissertation (let alone a deferral)
and also, everyone I know who got a doctors note got one right away, whereas my doctor agreed to write me one but said I'd have to pick it up in a few days...
I'm really worried about this because everyone I've spoken to said that they got there's right away. What if the doctor changes her mind? :/
Reply 1
It should say on the doctors note how long it is valid for. When I had surgery and had to get a doctors note for work, it was valid for "2 weeks due to post op", whereas yours would be on the basis of whatever issue you're having.
If you're looking for an extension, your department need to see that you've been having issues right now and leading up to now. So it might not say "for 2 weeks" or whatever, because you're not asking for 2 weeks essay free, are you? You're just asking for the consideration of some more time. Your doctor will know what they're doing based on what you've asked for :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest