The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Any Londoners Moving to Leicester?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RollerBall
When you say 'I lived in London' what do you mean? I held offers from both BL and Leicester so spent a fair amount of time in each deciding (I had people in the year above at Leicester I visited).

Unless you lived in Leyton or something the cost of living is just higher in London. To claim otherwise is deluded.

Student cinema ticket circa 10 quid. Around 4 quid a pint average. Already decided travel is far more expensive in London (lol at complaining at 320 a year, I've spent more in a term on travel). I lived in a total dive and paid £110 a week. Now I live in a mediocre place for £120. I don't care for 'some people'. Some people pay £200+ a week in rent, most students do not.

I'm sorry, but the cost of living is just higher in London and that is a fact. You can still hate the place and it can still be expensive but it is not more expensive to live in than one of the most expensive cities in the world. I don't even live central (I've lived in E1, E3 and EC1M) but more east where it's cheapest (bar maybe south) and you're still talking out your arse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Visiting a city and living in a city are two different things. You've never lived here, you've never experienced it. You have't gone grocery shopping monthly or weekly, or went to your local corner store regularly and been literally ripped off. You're the one thats talking out of their arse. I'm from South East London, still London regardless, and in terms of cost, Leicester is more expensive than South East London.

Just because you've purchased a pint here or been to a friends house, does not by any right give you the opportunity to insult me.

You have never even lived here!
So all your comments are "I thinks" you don't know ****. Your opinion on Leicester is completely irrelevant.

Come back and tell me which is cheaper, when you've actually lived in both cities.

I had cinema tickets at £6.70 in vue cinemas in London, thats in the South East London and other parts of London where vue is situated. Here the Showcase Cinema charges £7.50 and the price goes up during peak hours.

Mediocre and terrible are two different things, mediocre means habitable, my accommodation is so bad that the university have proposed to knock the whole site down because its very outdated but due to costs they have not followed through with that.

You're all coming at me when all you got is "he said, she said" info from your friends. Its like a person thats visited NYC a few times but lives in London, trying to argue that NYC is cheaper than London. Like gtfo of my notifications. Take your "my friend" bull**** the **** out of here.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
Visiting a city and living in a city are two different things. You've never lived here, you've never experienced it. You have't gone grocery shopping monthly or weekly, or went to your local corner store regularly and been literally ripped off. You're the one thats talking out of their arse. I'm from South East London, still London regardless, and in terms of cost, Leicester is more expensive than South East London.

Just because you've purchased a pint here or been to a friends house, does not by any right give you the opportunity to insult me.

You have never even lived here!
So all your comments are "I thinks" you don't know ****. Your opinion on Leicester is completely irrelevant.

Come back and tell me which is cheaper, when you've actually lived in both cities.

I had cinema tickets at £6.70 in vue cinemas in London, thats in the South East London and other parts of London where vue is situated. Here the Showcase Cinema charges £7.50 and the price goes up during peak hours.

Mediocre and terrible are two different things, mediocre means habitable, my accommodation is so bad that the university have proposed to knock the whole site down because its very outdated but due to costs they have not followed through with that.

You're all coming at me when all you got is "he said, she said" info from your friends. Its like a person thats visited NYC a few times but lives in London, trying to argue that NYC is cheaper than London. Like gtfo of my notifications. Take your "my friend" bull**** the **** out of here.

You were literally ripped off? How can you still type?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
You were literally ripped off? How can you still type?

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol thanks for that. I just can't stand when people want to argue over a place that isn't even a permanent residence of theirs all based on "I thinks" and "my friend told me" bullcrap
lol thanks for that. I just can't stand when people want to argue over a place that isn't even a permanent residence of theirs all based on "I thinks" and "my friend told me" bullcrap

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=United+Kingdom&city1=Leicester&city2=London

London is statistically one of the most expensive cities to live in in the world. Leicester isn't even top five in the UK.

I didn't just visit, I did my research and I spoke to local residents. Evenif we put all our anecdotal evidence aside (I dislike using it anyway) and just look at the numbers, London IS simply more expensive than Leicester. Just because you cannot manage your money or see past your inherent bias does not make it anymore true. The fact you are even suggesting it is laughable.

I look forward to you reply filled with everything but statistical evidence. You are attempting to argue a binary point that you are simply incorrect about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

In my experience the SE is an expensive place to live. It's also important to remember that the accommodation provided by DMU is not necessarily representative of what else is available in the city.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Hey, I'm going De Montfort this September from London, was wondering if there were anymore londoners going too? :smile:"
Yeah i'm going to Confetti (the Nottingham campus) to do Film and TV technology
Reply 46
Original post by rowena.brett
"Hey, I'm going De Montfort this September from London, was wondering if there were anymore londoners going too? :smile:"
Yeah i'm going to Confetti (the Nottingham campus) to do Film and TV technology

Another Londoner going to DMU here! So excited :smile: Will be studying Contour Fashion. :biggrin:

Trying to decide on accommodation now, any advice, anyone???
Original post by tiamaria2
Another Londoner going to DMU here! So excited :smile: Will be studying Contour Fashion. :biggrin:

Trying to decide on accommodation now, any advice, anyone???

I'm with CODE accommodation there really nice studio flats :-)
Reply 48
I'm from London, im going to Demonfort this September and im studying music tech at confetti !
From London going to DMU to study Economics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending