The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do anymore

I've been suffering from huge anxiety and depression all year unfortunately. It started out last summer for no reason at all and it just kept getting worse and worse each day. I constantly have panic attacks and feel the urge to cry 24/7 and I panic whenever I have to talk to someone because I feel like I bore everyone and that with or without me, I wouldn't make a difference to anyone's life and I stress out in any situation and I've been a huge mess all year.

I've been studying for my A Levels since February (our A Levels (in my country) combine both AS and A2 material into one exam and I have 6 A Levels in total) but I can't remember anything because of all the panic attacks and I've tried destressing etc. and all I wanted to do is go see a counsellor because my anxiety/depression is completely out of hand but my parents made a joke out of it and wouldn't let me see one at the hospital.

Because of my inability to remember anything I fell far behind on everything and it's 2 weeks and a half till my first exam and I keep taking ages to study something; I started at 10 am today and it's 10 pm and all I've finished is 8 pages (without wasting time) and now I can't stop crying again.

I have to take the UK A Levels next year because I want to study Medicine in London because they don't accept our version of A Levels and in all honesty I wish I could just stop, go see a therapist to help me out,so that I can show my parents that I am unable to do these exams (they are unaware of my anxiety issues and would just make a joke out of it because they don't believe mental problems really do exist and they think they're a fixation of my head - I'm not sure if they are or aren't really). I wish I could not take these exams, talk to a therapist and hopefully get some treatment, then take the UK A Levels next year instead and have a year to calm myself down and sort myself out, but my parents are insisting on me taking these exams because in reality they want me to study here and not the UK.

My parents are at least 50% of the reason why I'm anxious all the time; I came out around September to myself but I've been fearing anything that's going to happen next, given that they are hardcore Christians who hate anyone who is gay (and voted against gay marriage). They shout at me whenever I get my panic attacks which makes me get them even more.

I feel like I'm such a huge mess and I honestly don't know what to do :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
I advise that you speak to someone in your support services at your school/college. Even if your parents aren't supportive, I'm sure wherever you are studying have resources to help you out.

Have you seen your GP or a doctor about your anxiety and depression? From what I have read, it is having a huge impact on your day-to-day life, I would suggest you arrange a visit.

Also, if you are comfortable, speak with your parents - saying that shouting at you does not help, and what you need is their support.

If you decide to arrange a meeting with your GP or someone at your college, if you're worried you'll be too overwhelmed to talk, write down what you wish to talk about and use that as a back up.

These website give some good advice if you need anymore
http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/
http://www.mind.org.uk/

I wish you all the best. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by HBPrincess
I advise that you speak to someone in your support services at your school/college. Even if your parents aren't supportive, I'm sure wherever you are studying have resources to help you out.

Have you seen your GP or a doctor about your anxiety and depression? From what I have read, it is having a huge impact on your day-to-day life, I would suggest you arrange a visit.

Also, if you are comfortable, speak with your parents - saying that shouting at you does not help, and what you need is their support.

If you decide to arrange a meeting with your GP or someone at your college, if you're worried you'll be too overwhelmed to talk, write down what you wish to talk about and use that as a back up.

These website give some good advice if you need anymore
http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/
http://www.mind.org.uk/

I wish you all the best. :smile:

Thank you so much! This definitely helped a lot and helped me to calm me down so thank you :biggrin:
No worries :smile:
If you need any support - I'm happy to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest