The Student Room Group

Are we inherently meaner towards fat people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by elpistolero7
As much as I like most of your posts, you're showing a clear lack of knowledge about body metabolisms, somato-types and genes with this statement.

You're naturally entitled to your opinion though.

Fine: endomorphism notwithstanding.
Original post by Profesh
Fine: endomorphism notwithstanding.

Fair play.
Original post by Revolutionizer
I find that overweight guys are actually generally funnier and popular while obese guys are shunned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting.

Care to elaborate?
Reply 43
It's not so much mean-ness. I consider myself a go-getter and so I really don't have anything in common with overweight people. Fat isn't just a physical thing, it's also a mentality. (excluding thyroid/elephantitis etc before the lefties jump down my throat)

I think parents escape the blame all too often though. The fattest teen in the world was sent to US fat camp and made some really fantastic progress but the second she came home. Her mom gave her fish and chips. She soon put back on all the weight then needed the side of the house demolished so she could be craned to hospital; costing the taxpayer £100k.

People really should see it for the parental abuse it is.
Original post by Jebedee
It's not so much mean-ness. I consider myself a go-getter and so I really don't have anything in common with overweight people. Fat isn't just a physical thing, it's also a mentality. (excluding thyroid/elephantitis etc before the lefties jump down my throat)

I think parents escape the blame all too often though. The fattest teen in the world was sent to US fat camp and made some really fantastic progress but the second she came home. Her mom gave her fish and chips. She soon put back on all the weight then needed the side of the house demolished so she could be craned to hospital; costing the taxpayer £100k.

People really should see it for the parental abuse it is.

Being overweight doesn't mean they won't have nothing in common with you, though does it? Like, sure they may be lazy in terms of physical activity (some, others as you say are unfortunate with medical issues/body metabolism etc), but they could have plenty of other stuff in common with you...

I agree with the parenting bit you've written completely though.
Reply 45
Being fat is like wearing a billboard that says you are lazy and don't take pride in your appearance, and you probably sweat a lot.
Reply 46
Being overweight doesn't mean they won't have nothing in common with you, though does it? Like, sure they may be lazy in terms of physical activity (some, others as you say are unfortunate with medical issues/body metabolism etc), but they could have plenty of other stuff in common with you...

I agree with the parenting bit you've written completely though.

If they're lazy with their body, chances are they don't have any drive to be good at anything else either. Obviously there's exceptions but on the most part I don't see why you'd be great at something but let your body go like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
it goes like this: fat < average-joe < athletic

If you're visibly athletic you just get respect automatically. average-joe not so much. Fat will get negative reactions mostly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Evolutionary reasons naturally. At a guess, I'd say that fat people are irresponsible and well, unhealthy and if you think about cavemen, why would you want a mate who couldn't hunt properly because he was overweight?

Why are fat people less physically attractive? If I'm looking for a mate, I want a healthy mate and fat people are unhealthy. Fast forward to the present day and that's basically in our DNA.

Why do women like men with muscles? Well those muscles were once handy for fighting off threats and protecting...

Large tits? Well it shows a woman was of child bearing age and was able to look after the children once they were born.

Dont get why people post threads like this as if these innate responses that almost everyone show are arbitrary social constructs. Everything is explained by what was useful/harmful back when we were cavemen.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by bertstare
There isn't a massive difference in overall life expectancy between the obese and healthy people since most complications are fairly manageable with modern medicine (though I don't know the exact figures). Obese people can have bypass operations, long term diabetes treatment, joint replacements, blood pressure treatment, bariatric surgery etc etc and still live reasonably long. Massive drain on the economy

Although they're "manageable" believe me they won't be living a comfortable old age when diabetes has robbed them of their sight, people who are elderly and obese are very difficult patients for GPs to manage. Obesity costs the NHS £5 billion (or so I've been told, it's becoming the norm to be overweight.

But fat shaming won't help, people need education, support and incentives to lose weight. Very few people like being bigger most people want to change but don't know how or can't. I think it needs to start in schools with young children and communicate with their parents about a healthier lifestyle, sadly obesity is going to define the NHS over the next few decades.
Reply 50
Also most people on this forum are relatively young, at a guess I'd say most are under 25, plenty of people pile on weight in their 30s and middle age. Maybe when a few more of us are fatter we might be a little kinder.
Reply 51
But loads of comedians (and Susan Boyle) weren't picked on because of their weight...
When I started high school I was very overweight, and remained so until the last year of uni, where I hit a normal weight for the first time in my life. Through school I was always bullied and, though I did have friends, they didn't treat me the same as they would treat others. They wouldn't include me in talks about boys or clothes or fashion, because they assumed I wouldn't be interested (I would have been, I was human, I did have feelings). This actually even happened at uni - people knocking on each other's doors asking whether a dress looked good or whatever, or asking them to do their hair for them, but never knocking on mine. Just because I might have looked like a beached whale doesn't mean I couldn't help other people or enjoy talking about things like that! Then, obviously, you'd get the people who would yell things out of car windows or across fields "you're fat".. yeah, thanks for that.

So I lost weight. The first thing I noticed was on my walk to uni, where more people let me cross the road the more weight I lost. It was shocking. When I was fat, I was often on the last minute because NOBODY would let me cross, whereas when I was slimmer people (particularly men I have to admit) stopped to let me cross the road. I couldn't believe it! And all of a sudden I was invited out shopping with my friends, with them thinking it was totally normal - and not really realising that they hadn't asked me all these years! I had A LOT of catching up to do from all of the years I'd missed!

But, you know what? Although I have found that a lot of people ARE nicer, there is quite a lot of the other way round as well. Girls who were previously nice who now assume you're some kind of threat, so no longer want you to be with them (a friend of mine told another that the reason she's stopped asking me out to the pub was because she used to like standing next to me because I made her look slim - whereas I'm much slimmer than her now). That hurt, because I'd absolutely loved her for the fact that she didn't discriminate like the others before!! I'm suddenly being dragged into bitchy conversations and situations, and some people talking behind my back saying "oh she's thinks she's so great, she loves herself" etc. If only they knew just how much being so overweight had affected me - I don't think I will ever "love" myself, and I'm still struggling to even "like" myself a lot of the time. Then there's one person who seems to want to turn everything into a competition between us.. who has the best clothes, the best car, who has the best boyfriend.. when before, we just chatted and everything was fine!

Being fat and ugly, though not ideal, can be quite enlightening, because people underestimate you. They're not on their guard, and they don't particularly like you, and because of that they can be much more natural. Losing weight allowed me insight into a completely different world. Yes, a lovely world of feeling more energetic, being fitter, a little more confident and being able to fit into better clothes - but also a world of bitchiness and cattiness, an inability to be friends with someone who might be thinner than you.. and believe it or not, it's exhausting.

People are probably meaner towards fat people, just coming out with it - but there are subtle prejudices all around us that you might not even see until you've stood on both sides of the fence.
Reply 53
I see no problem with any of that. If someone's too lazy to exercise, too lazy to do anything about their weight or their image or the state that they are in, they completely deserve to become isolated and shunned by society. Stuffing yourself with excess amounts of unhealthy food is a very bad way to live. People need to take care of themselves and their bodies if they want to earn respect from people. People always tend to avoid fat people, that's a universal fact. I feel really uncomfortable around fat people, certainly wouldn't want to talk to them. It's not because of a generalisation.
When people are actively obese I find it hard to look at them without feeling ill- taken at face value it shows a major lack of self control (I formerly suffered from anorexia so find this makes me feel particularly uncomfortable), not to mention that they look unhealthy to the extent where I sometimes wonder whether they're able to live a normal lifestyle. I tend to just avoid them unless I have to spend time with them, in which case I'd be perfectly pleasant when I did talk to them, but wouldn't try to prolong a conversation unless they had a wonderful personality which effectively cancelled out their obesity. Then I'd have the problem of wanting to spend time with them but really not wanting to look at them (or have them realizing I felt this way).

I'm fine with 'plump' people, and wouldn't have a problem dating someone a little overweight, but when it crosses a line I can't help but feel on edge (though I try really hard not to show it).
I feel sorry for them, but I would rather be around people within a normal range of weights (in both directions) for the sake of my sanity.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

Being fat and ugly, though not ideal, can be quite enlightening, because people underestimate you. They're not on their guard, and they don't particularly like you, and because of that they can be much more natural. Losing weight allowed me insight into a completely different world. Yes, a lovely world of feeling more energetic, being fitter, a little more confident and being able to fit into better clothes - but also a world of bitchiness and cattiness, an inability to be friends with someone who might be thinner than you.. and believe it or not, it's exhausting.

People are probably meaner towards fat people, just coming out with it - but there are subtle prejudices all around us that you might not even see until you've stood on both sides of the fence.

Great post.
Literally the only one that might make me think anything is the one in the US Flag bikini. And even then it would probably be "wow I wish I'd had the confidence to wear a bikini at her size instead of wasting 20 summers".

I wouldn't class the others as "fat".
First off, I mean no offense to anyone overweight. Anything but, infact. I'm a former super fat bloke, whose worked incredibly hard in the gym the last 4 years to get a good physique and this thread comes through the change I've experienced in the manner people interact with me because of that.

I've noticed a massive change in my life from back when I was overweight (and it was significant, mind). Dating's one thing. I understand people want to date others they're attracted to, so I have no issues there, but terms of friendships or even ordinary day to day behavior?

I've noticed fatter kids being shunned all the way from younger years in school through sixth form. They can't ever hang out with the "cooler" people, and are socially excluded more so than others.

Its depressing to me that girls who wouldn't even talk to me when I was fat have recently (2 of them) shown an interest in me romantically. I mean seriously? (not a woman hating line just incase anyone jumps on me, just an example :K:). I mean they wouldn't even speak to the fat kid...and now I'm "date-able"?

See, I realize we're all superficial to varying degrees, but are we, as a society on the whole that messed up that makes fat people uncomfortable and feel secluded ? I hope most people aren't the way I think they are in this regard, but my experiences and of those around me suggest otherwise.

In your experience do you think society judges fat people and forms massively generalized opinions about them ? Would you ever date someone overweight or would it affect you being friends with someone?

From what I've seen, people tend to group together with those they deem similar to themselves. Perfect example is the stereotypical American high school cliques - I'm sure it's not always so polarised, but I've certainly seen myself that the more attractive girls at uni naturally gravitate towards each other and form friendship groups, and I'm sure the same is true of guys. I'm pretty convinced that humans are "pack animals," but I'm drifting off-topic now.

Anyway, this grouping together means that others are seen as different/outsiders and thus dismissed, or even made fun of. Yeah, it's crap, but it seems to largely be the way of things.

I can relate to what you've said about the girls who are suddenly interested in you - when I was in school I had glasses, braces, and hadn't grown into myself yet. Once I'd hit my twenties (I'm 22 now) and was quite far-removed from my school days, I had guys from back then who had either never spoken to me or been downright mean getting in touch asking me out, and had much the same reaction to it as you.

Sorry, I'm just waffling on, really.
It's just human nature to look down on people who have traits that society deems as negative.
I was a little overweight at school. I was extremely nice, but overweight. The "cool" girls didn't want to be seen near me, neither did the guys.
When I lost a lot of weight and became slender, suddenly the guys who had been dismissive of me suddenly wanted to date me. The girls suddenly wanted me to hang out with them and I'd get invited to all their parties. I declined all of those offers.
Original post by Anonymous
It's just human nature to look down on people who have traits that society deems as negative.
I was a little overweight at school. I was extremely nice, but overweight. The "cool" girls didn't want to be seen near me, neither did the guys.
When I lost a lot of weight and became slender, suddenly the guys who had been dismissive of me suddenly wanted to date me. The girls suddenly wanted me to hang out with them and I'd get invited to all their parties. I declined all of those offers.

Good on you, people should accept others based on who they are as people, not on what they look like. If we were all slim and athletic such a boring world we would live in.

In fact for the OP to the girls and friends that now suddenly talk to you why don't you simply tell them to **** off, putting it bluntly. Don't date them, give them the same treatment they gave you, only then will they understand the errors they made in the past.

Ask them to their face what is so different about me now that you can be seen to speak to me in public.

Im not fat, could probably do with a few pounds of muscle but i really couldn't care less about my build. I think people really under-estimate just how difficult it can be to lose weight and then keep it off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending