The Student Room Group

Are we inherently meaner towards fat people?

First off, I mean no offense to anyone overweight. Anything but, infact. I'm a former super fat bloke, whose worked incredibly hard in the gym the last 4 years to get a good physique and this thread comes through the change I've experienced in the manner people interact with me because of that.

I've noticed a massive change in my life from back when I was overweight (and it was significant, mind). Dating's one thing. I understand people want to date others they're attracted to, so I have no issues there, but terms of friendships or even ordinary day to day behavior?

I've noticed fatter kids being shunned all the way from younger years in school through sixth form. They can't ever hang out with the "cooler" people, and are socially excluded more so than others.

Its depressing to me that girls who wouldn't even talk to me when I was fat have recently (2 of them) shown an interest in me romantically. I mean seriously? (not a woman hating line just incase anyone jumps on me, just an example :K:). I mean they wouldn't even speak to the fat kid...and now I'm "date-able"?

See, I realize we're all superficial to varying degrees, but are we, as a society on the whole that messed up that makes fat people uncomfortable and feel secluded ? I hope most people aren't the way I think they are in this regard, but my experiences and of those around me suggest otherwise.

In your experience do you think society judges fat people and forms massively generalized opinions about them ? Would you ever date someone overweight or would it affect you being friends with someone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably yes, it's an easily preventable state that shows quite a basic lack of self respect and willpower. And since people are generally judgmental it's not surprising that there is a negative stigma surrounding fat people, especially since obesity is something that indirectly affects more or less everyone
Reply 2
Original post by bertstare
Probably yes, it's an easily preventable state that shows quite a basic lack of self respect and willpower. And since people are generally judgmental it's not surprising that there is a negative stigma surrounding fat people, especially since obesity is something that indirectly affects more or less everyone

Care to elaborate?
Reply 3
Its more acceptable to make skinny jokes these days. When I was out suit shopping and told the girl who worked there my waist size, she replied with "we need to start feeding you" in an attempt to be funny. Imagine if she told a fat person "you need to eat less".
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
It's true, I think a lot of us do it unconsicously. Like a fat girl will be considered annoying, when a fit girl won't be.
Reply 5
Original post by Mankytoes
It's true, I think a lot of us do it unconsicously. Like a fat girl will be considered annoying, when a fit girl won't be.

Its just so ****ing sad that most of us are like this. :frown:
Human nature.
Reply 7
Original post by elpistolero7
Care to elaborate?

Well with the rates of obesity and obesity-related complications (which are practically endless) it's undoubtedly a toll on the taxpayer overall, not to mention parents with bad eating habits are likely to raise kids with equally bad eating habits meaning the problem never really gets solved
Reply 8
I think it's subconscious human behaviour. We all have to natural tendency to try and avoid something that's seen as or thought to be negative by the majority of society. It's really sad :frown:
Reply 9
Well with the rates of obesity and obesity-related complications (which are practically endless) it's undoubtedly a toll on the taxpayer overall, not to mention parents with bad eating habits are likely to raise kids with equally bad eating habits meaning the problem never really gets solved

Not everyone fat is obese or heading there for certain, though.

I realize its a burden on the taxpayer, but that's hardly the reason people treat fat people poorly is it?
Original post by ThrillSize
I think it's subconscious human behaviour. We all have to natural tendency to try and avoid something that's seen as or thought to be negative by the majority of society. It's really sad :frown:

Its how society has made us perceive it though right? Long ago, fat women were actually considered attractive in certain parts of the world. I'm sure they received a very different nature of day to day treatment than the average fat person would today, you know?
Reply 11
Not everyone fat is obese or heading there for certain, though.

I realize its a burden on the taxpayer, but that's hardly the reason people treat fat people poorly is it?

I doubt people are consciously thinking it, but seeing as something easily preventable is causing a widespread public health problem, it's not surprising people may have less respect for someone way overweight who isn't doing anything about it. I don't think it's much different to the way people stigmatise heavy smokers, alcoholics or drug users, perhaps one key difference being the physical appearance of obese people (which most of course find unattractive).
Reply 12
glad im not chubby anymore

this thread would've been a world of abuse 1.5years ago

Actually, when you consider the savings on pensions, obesity is probably a good thing economically overall. The health nuts who take a state pension for 35 years while taking all sorts of NHS pills is the real drain on society.
Original post by Robbie242
glad im not chubby anymore

this thread would've been a world of abuse 1.5years ago

Why?
Reply 15
Why?

was significantly overweight after staying at home nearly 24/7 playing world of warcraft

more like 1.75 years ago but close enough
Its how society has made us perceive it though right? Long ago, fat women were actually considered attractive in certain parts of the world. I'm sure they received a very different nature of day to day treatment than the average fat person would today, you know?

Yes that's exactly where the problem stems from and all the negative stereotypes come along with it. I think people's perceptions are too easily influenced these days and people go along with whatever seems to be "the norm".
Original post by Robbie242
was significantly overweight after staying at home nearly 24/7 playing world of warcraft

more like 1.75 years ago but close enough

I was asking about why there'd be abuse :confused:. Kudos on the weight loss though. Its not easy, trust me I know :biggrin:.
Reply 18
Original post by Mankytoes
Actually, when you consider the savings on pensions, obesity is probably a good thing economically overall. The health nuts who take a state pension for 35 years while taking all sorts of NHS pills is the real drain on society.

There isn't a massive difference in overall life expectancy between the obese and healthy people since most complications are fairly manageable with modern medicine (though I don't know the exact figures). Obese people can have bypass operations, long term diabetes treatment, joint replacements, blood pressure treatment, bariatric surgery etc etc and still live reasonably long. Massive drain on the economy
Reply 19
I was asking about why there'd be abuse :confused:. Kudos on the weight loss though. Its not easy, trust me I know :biggrin:.

Oh not your initial OP but replies that are and would be to come ''burden to society'' etc I can foresee it :tongue:

Haha thanks :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending