The Student Room Group

Lifting noob gets strong

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pzoDe
Was doing deadlifts today (well, yesterday) and I normally do around 6/7 sets of 110kg for 10 reps. Started doing my first set and a friend of mine who works at the gym told me that I could easily have done more reps/weight. Told him I was a bit worried about doing my back in as I do get pretty sore after a big back sesh. He told me that it was fine as long as I kept the same form as I had been doing and he showed me a nifty stretching exercise to do with a foam roll after each, or every few, set(s). So instead today I did:

8x60kg (warmup)
10x90kg
10x110kg
10x110kg
9x125kg
9x125kg
8x125kg
9x110kg

Major increase from what I normally do and it was fine because my form was good and I stretched well, so my back doesn't feel it much at all.

Just whatever you do, don't arch your back forward, cos that will hurt like ****.

Nice strong lifts, i will attempt more higher weights but cautious not to arch my back.
Reply 21
16/4/14

Deadlifts: (92.5x5) 100x1 (PB)
OHP : 32.5kg (5x5) (PB)
Bent over row: 40kg (5x5)
DB floor press with pause: 15kg (3x9)
Straight bar curls: 20kg (3x8)
Facepulls: 7.5kg x lots

100kg deadlift was quite tough but reckon I could get 5 out of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why 5x5 DL?

ICF is 1x5..
Reply 23
Original post by Angry cucumber
Why 5x5 DL?

ICF is 1x5..

Maybe I worded it wrong haha.

I just did it (1x5)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Angry cucumber
Why 5x5 DL?

ICF is 1x5..

Original post by Reps4Jesus
Maybe I worded it wrong haha.

I just did it (1x5)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I thought he did 5x5 as well, it's just 92.5 x5 after closer inspection
Reply 25
Can't upload the deadlift video onto YouTube for some reason, the 'capture' app isn't workout :/

Watching the video my form seems fine, no arch or anything. Feel like I've pulled muscles in my middle back, or is that soreness expected when you haven't deadlifted heavy in a while? Sharp pain when I take deep breaths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't upload the deadlift video onto YouTube for some reason, the 'capture' app isn't workout :/

Watching the video my form seems fine, no arch or anything. Feel like I've pulled muscles in my middle back, or is that soreness expected when you haven't deadlifted heavy in a while? Sharp pain when I take deep breaths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sharp pain is always bad. Dull aches can be normal. I'd expect doms if you haven't deadlifted in a while
Reply 27
Here is the video. Apart from not keeping my head in line with my spine does this look ok?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tT78lIs27Js

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Here is the video. Apart from not keeping my head in line with my spine does this look ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looks solid (I'm a beginner though so not best placed to judge). Nice video positioning for identity protection lol
Reply 29
Original post by Tony Stark
Looks solid (I'm a beginner though so not best placed to judge). Nice video positioning for identity protection lol

Haha cheers man.

I don't actually mind anyone seeing my face tbh it was just the way I happened to angle it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Way too slow

Where's the power?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by tehforum
Way too slow

Where's the power?

I did it after my work set so it was pretty tough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
18/4/14
Squat rack STILL broken so couldn't squat again

Bench - 52.5kg (3x5) PB
Incline DB bench - 17.5kg (3x8)
Bent over rows - 45kg (5x5) PB
Shrugs - 70kg (3x8) PB
Skulls - EZ bar + 10kg (3x8)
Curls - 20kg x a lot

Went light on incline DB bench cos they're still making my shoulders click.
52.5kg bench was surprisingly easy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
No updates today as my gym is closed for Easter Monday unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by pzoDe
He told me that it was fine as long as I kept the same form as I had been doing and he showed me a nifty stretching exercise to do with a foam roll after each, or every few, set(s).

Hey mind telling me what the stretches are? Or how to do them?
I don't want to end up injuring my back, cause I've been doing some heavy lifts recently.
My form's good, at least that's my friends tell me when I tell them to look.
Reply 35
Original post by JtChan
I don't want to end up injuring my back, cause I've been doing some heavy lifts recently.

Train the core, and always tense when squatting and deadlifting.
Reply 36
Original post by JtChan

Place a foam roll on the ground. Lie down on top of this with your stomach facing upwards. Get someone to grab your ankles. Tense your core and outstretch your arms parallel to the floor. The person then needs to wheelbarrow you back and forth over the roll, working especially on sore points which you can point out to them. Do this for two minutes or so and your back will feel a lot less sore.

Ask a qualified member of staff in your gym to check if your form is good. They will know best - they are there to help.
Reply 37
22/4/14

Squats - 62.5kg (3x5)
Deadlifts - 95kg (1x5) PB
OHP - 35kg (5x5) PB
Rows (-10%) - 42.5kg (5x5)
Close grip dumbbell press - ??? These caused me a lot of front delt pain so had to stop
Curls - 20kg (3x8)
Rotator cuff exercises

Should I do rotator cuff strengthening/stretches before or after workout? I did some external rotations with the cable machines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
22/4/14

Squats - 62.5kg (3x5)
Deadlifts - 95kg (1x5) PB
OHP - 35kg (5x5) PB
Rows (-10%) - 42.5kg (5x5)
Close grip dumbbell press - ??? These caused me a lot of front delt pain so had to stop
Curls - 20kg (3x8)
Rotator cuff exercises

Should I do rotator cuff strengthening/stretches before or after workout? I did some external rotations with the cable machines.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This workout seems really weird. Seems like you're doing legs, then back, shoulders and then arms? Do you do full body workouts?
Original post by JtChan
This workout seems really weird. Seems like you're doing legs, then back, shoulders and then arms? Do you do full body workouts?

Yes, it's a full body.

Google ice cream fitness 5x5

Quick Reply

Latest