The Student Room Group

How did the universe come to exist?

I'm a complete beginner with philosophy so I'm sorry if this is a silly question. I'm just curious, are there any theories (I've just read a post about string theory) that talk about the universe being created and why and how etc

(And this is pretty different but are there any good beginner books for Existentialism?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I don't know how many beginner level books you'll find on existentialism, but I would recommend Jean Paul Sartre's Being and Nothingness if you're interested. Philosophical texts can be quite dry and lengthy though, so you might prefer to read condensed notes on sites like Spark Notes. Soren Kierkegaard is another philosopher you might like to read up about, particularly if you're interested in existentialism with a theological spin on it.

On the topic of how the universe came into existence, good question. :tongue:
Original post by snowystarks
I'm a complete beginner with philosophy so I'm sorry if this is a silly question. I'm just curious, are there any theories (I've just read a post about string theory) that talk about the universe being created and why and how etc

(And this is pretty different but are there any good beginner books for Existentialism?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, you seem like a friendly person so I'll give you a friendly reply :smile:

Asking why, assumes a purpose. As far as we can tell, there is no purpose behind the creation of the universe so until we find one, the why question really is a meaningless question. If you'd like to reword the question to "how" does the universe exist? Then there is much to talk about although still no absolute answer, just theories.

I'd recommend reading quantum loop theory which pretty much explains how the universe (everything) has always exists in one form or another. The big bang was the collapse of a previous space-time. If ours collapses, it will create a new big bang and someday, somewhere, someone might ask the same questions as we have.

There is a huge problem with some of the theories we have and that is that they end up with infinity. Infinity itself is very much a philosophical topic, aswell as mathematical but either there was absolutely nothing and then something, or there was always something.

You make up your mind which is easier to comprehend. Both are equally outrageous but one of them HAS to be true.... that is a scary thought.
it is perfectly possible (and in my opinion, the probable case) that the universe came into existence with absolutely no meaningful explanation whatsoever and its coming into existence is absolutely unexplainable and "accidental" (although that might not be the right word to use seeing as there was probably no agency for an accident). I don't care if that's an unhelpful answer - this universe is a random, meaningless and mostly empty place, it's not like it was created for some arbitrary "purpose" anyhow. it is mysterious and that's probably all we can understand - our minds demand order and there are probably simply some things in this reality that simply don't have answers, unless we resort to infinite-cause chains/uncaused causes which also cause logic to break down. "causes" can't be "created", and "comings into existence" (if they never existed prior to that "cause") couldn't have been "caused" so really it is an impossible puzzle...this universe is ****ed up :lol: that's my explanation

do I win the "philosopher of the year" prize for this one? :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KeepYourChinUp
either there was absolutely nothing and then something, or there was always something.

You make up your mind which is easier to comprehend. Both are equally outrageous but one of them HAS to be true.... that is a scary thought.

You're probably right, but just because our language suggests a black or white answer doesn't mean there is one. You might say that a man is either bald or he isn't, but our intuition goes far enough for us to understand that that doesn't map onto reality. This is surely compounded in the arena of theoretical physics, where not only does our language not necessarily map onto our understanding, but the reality might not be amenable to our comprehension either. My intuition doesn't extend far enough to evaluate whether a black-or-white view of something-vs-nothing actually obtains, so the question of whether the reality might be more complex is one I can only raise.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
From a scientific point of view, it still remains a mystery, let's see what actual evidence we find :smile: theories are only theories :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by numanali
theories are only theories :smile:

You don't seem to understand what a scientific theory is.

A theory in science is not a wild guess. A theory is something in science which has been tested over and over again, and repeatedly confirmed.

Examples of theories in science:

- Theory of Evolution

- Theory of General Relativity

- Atomic Theory

- Theory of Gravity

Would you say that they are just theories?
Original post by Politricks
You don't seem to understand what a scientific theory is.

A theory in science is not a wild guess. A theory is something in science which has been tested over and over again, and repeatedly confirmed.

Examples of theories in science:

- Theory of Evolution

- Theory of General Relativity

- Atomic Theory

- Theory of Gravity

Would you say that they are just theories?

Yeh people seem to think that science uses the word theory in the same context as I would use "I have a theory as to why dogs wag their tails"

Original post by numanali
From a scientific point of view, it still remains a mystery, let's see what actual evidence we find theories are only theories

Posted from TSR Mobile

A scientific theory is a conclusion based on numerous tests, observations, experiments and every single peice of evidence we have supports the theory. I guess Einsteins theories of general/special relativity are just theories also?

Let me test your understanding of scientific discovery. What is the difference between a law and a theory. We'll soon see how little you know about science. Pretty sad really.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
It's probably the most fascinating question that will ever be asked, but in many ways even beginning to look for an answer feels so far beyond what we could truly comprehend.
Reply 11
A universe is neither created nor destroyed it simply is.
Reply 12
Yeh people seem to think that science uses the word theory in the same context as I would use "I have a theory as to why dogs wag their tails"

Initially, long ago, it was more for balance than anything else, but now domesticated dogs wag their tails to communicate emotion, not necessarily happiness, and release that excitement through movement. That's proven theory as well.

:colondollar: Sorry, couldn't help myself..
Original post by awe
Initially, long ago, it was more for balance than anything else, but now domesticated dogs wag their tails to communicate emotion, not necessarily happiness, and release that excitement through movement. That's proven theory as well.

:colondollar: Sorry, couldn't help myself..

lol it was an example :P

The average man will use the word theory when they have an idea as to why or how something works. But sciences version of theory is observation based on tests, data ect.
Reply 14
lol it was an example :P

The average man will use the word theory when they have an idea as to why or how something works. But sciences version of theory is observation based on tests, data ect.

Haha I know I'm just procrastinating and tend to hone in on any mention of dogs. I certainly agree with your actual point! For example in dog training there is a very, very stupid 'theory' that dogs are pack animals, that the owner must be a 'master' and that dogs are dominant. It's a debunked, harmful theory, but everyone calls it a theory. Ok I'll stop now.
Who knows, I'm sure there are people who have opinions but as of yet there are no theories.

My opinion is that the best explanation and the closest to a theory we might get are mathematical explanations with a mathematical proof, rather than a hypothesis which has been tested and accepted as a theory.
Original post by physicsbook
Who knows, I'm sure there are people who have opinions but as of yet there are no theories.

My opinion is that the best explanation and the closest to a theory we might get are mathematical explanations with a mathematical proof, rather than a hypothesis which has been tested and accepted as a theory.

Sorry but that isn't possible with anything in real life. At all. :frown:
Reply 17
Congratulations, you have just stumbled on the greatest question in human history. :tongue:
We don't know thus jesus.
Original post by KongShou
Sorry but that isn't possible with anything in real life. At all. :frown:

That's exactly why I said we'd not get a theory in the sense that we are able to test something to establish it, but rather we'd figure out the maths which proves it.

I'm saying that I think it is likely that we will get the maths which explains the the beginning of the universe but that a testable hypothesis is something that will be unlikely.

Most things start with the maths and then get put into a testable hypothesis. What do you think theoretical physicists do? :L

Quick Reply

Latest