The Student Room Group

How bad are energy drinks for you, really?

I know everyone likes to throw around the whole type 2 diabetes, caffeine stuff whenever energy drinks are mentioned, but in reality how bad for you are they?
I never normally drink them but i've been drinking a few of the small energy drinks with link 80mg caffeine when i need to get **** done in the evenings and know that i'm gonna have an energy dip and i've found them really effective.

Are they okay every one or two days?

Scroll to see replies

Ok in morderation, just like most things in life.

However, personally I prefer coffee, less calories and sugar:smile:
Reply 2
Seen as there is no definitive answer, it can't be that bad.
You're talking about 13 teaspoons of sugar per can. I don't like the taste of energy drinks myself, but try drinking just a glass of water with 13 teaspoons of sugar in, and see if it puts you off them.
I don't really think it's the caffeine that's the issue?
I was drinking a lot of RB. About 4-5 cans per day. I ended up with severe headaches, bad gas, and always pooping. I haven't had one for just over a year now, and I have no headaches, and normal gas and poop.

I don't exactly know how they affect people, but that is how it affected me.
Reply 5
I heard somewhere that they don't really give you a boost, they just combat the withdrawal and make you feel like there are.
Reply 6
Original post by Add!ction
I heard somewhere that they don't really give you a boost, they just combat the withdrawal and make you feel like there are.

where did you hear that? o.O i'm pretty sure the massive glucose and caffeine influx would be a boost, not just combating the withdrawal of not having it
Reply 7
Original post by lmorgan95
where did you hear that? o.O i'm pretty sure the massive glucose and caffeine influx would be a boost, not just combating the withdrawal of not having it

Might have been one of those shows like Supersize vs. Superskinny. That's what I'm inclined to think also, although I've never been 'buzzing' post consumption.
Reply 8
Might have been one of those shows like Supersize vs. Superskinny. That's what I'm inclined to think also, although I've never been 'buzzing' post consumption.

ohhh yeah when those people substitute energy drinks for food on those programs haha- it makes more sense in that context because i suppose (when doing them to the extreme) stimulants begin to have diminishing effects to the points when you're just doing it for a 'fix'.
I'd guess it's a lot different though for most people :tongue:
Reply 9
Like everything in life, they're fine in moderation.

A lot of coffee has more caffeine per ml than other energy drinks, but also vice versa: http://www.caffeineinformer.com/the-caffeine-database

It also clearly depends how much you drink. A small can of red bull has the same amount of caffeine as a cup of filter coffee twice its size, which is a fairly standard size for a small-regular coffee, so in that respect they're not much different.

When it comes to sugar, it would depend how you take your coffee and whether you drink sugar-free energy drinks.

Full sugar drinks of any sort are horrendous for daily intake, as Paxman enjoyably demonstrates here:

One can of Mountain Dew has about 75% of the recommended daily allowance of sugar for adult women, for example.

Energy drinks are no different, so they're fine once in a while, but I wouldn't have them every day.

Personally if I drink energy drinks I get sugar-free cheap branded ones. I'm not very caffeine-sensitive so don't often get them. I'd rather have a coffee most of them time tbf.
Reply 10
Original post by DarkWhite
Full sugar drinks of any sort are horrendous for daily intake, as Paxman enjoyably demonstrates here:

Meh, a can of coke has 36 grams of sugar as he points out. I usually get in 350-400grams of carbohydrates in a day. Provided the majority of those carbs are from a complex source with a lot of fibre, drinking a small amount of coke everyday (especially alongside a meal) really has no tangible effect on overall health. The coke guy seems to know what he's talking about more than paxman does

OP, they're fine in moderation, though if you do want the boost whilst avoiding the calories, I'd suggest getting caffeine pills
Reply 11

If you take caffeine regularly then you will get withdrawal and need caffeine to get back to a 'normal' state.
If you take caffeine occasionally, then you will get a boost in many ways from it.
It depends on how much you're drinking them. They're gonna be "bad" if you're drinking them constantly, considering the caffeine and sugar and everything, but they seem to be okay in moderation (like most stuff).
Since my body became intolerant to caffeine I haven't been able to drink them. I really miss the taste :frown:

I would drink caffeine-free Red Bull, I love the taste so much.

Same difference. I think it blocks the signal in the brain telling your body it's tired, or something like that. The result is that you feel like you've had a boost.
Reply 15
Original post by bertstare
Meh, a can of coke has 36 grams of sugar as he points out. I usually get in 350-400grams of carbohydrates in a day. Provided the majority of those carbs are from a complex source with a lot of fibre, drinking a small amount of coke everyday (especially alongside a meal) really has no tangible effect on overall health. The coke guy seems to know what he's talking about more than paxman does

OP, they're fine in moderation, though if you do want the boost whilst avoiding the calories, I'd suggest getting caffeine pills

I must admit, i was more surprised on how professional and reasonable the coke guy was throughout the interview than anything :tongue:
Reply 16

I don't know about anyone else but Red Bull gave me some energy boost :tongue: I've tried to work without energy drink and I was walking zombie moaning about everything and feeling very tired :mmm: With energy drink, at least till late afternoon I am full of energy :h:
Reply 17
Pretty bad for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Birkenhead
Same difference. I think it blocks the signal in the brain telling your body it's tired, or something like that. The result is that you feel like you've had a boost.

That's what caffeine does. Although coffee releases it over a longer period of time.

I have to say, Monster Rehab isn't fizzy and it tastes rather nice, I'm very fond of it. And I only have the diet energy drinks because they taste better, so I'm flooding my body with fake sugar instead of real sugar, yay!

The consequences of being a natural night-owl and living in a society obsessed with 9am starts. But I've had times before when I've had one coffee and been buzzing. It varies.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ForgetMe
I don't know about anyone else but Red Bull gave me some energy boost :tongue: I've tried to work without energy drink and I was walking zombie moaning about everything and feeling very tired :mmm: With energy drink, at least till late afternoon I am full of energy :h:

How much sleep do you get?

Quick Reply

Latest