The Student Room Group

How to revise for History?

How did you guys revise for History? Specifically GCSE level. Past questions, memorise a timeline...?
remembering the dates is the most important thing. Everything else you can get away with just educated guesses.
Reply 2
b
u
m
p
i
t
y

b
u
m
p
Original post by KingKumar
How did you guys revise for History? Specifically GCSE level. Past questions, memorise a timeline...?

I would literally just write notes from my book over and over until I could remember them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need to revise medicine through time badly but its so much!
Reply 5
Original post by Revolutionizer
I need to revise medicine through time badly but its so much!

SAME!!!! For my mock I found it best to make a mind map for each time period with a bit on surgery and anatomy, a section on public health and some on disease and infection. Hope this helps. I've got Germany I revise too, I'm doing that at the moment.
Original post by KateEA
SAME!!!! For my mock I found it best to make a mind map for each time period with a bit on surgery and anatomy, a section on public health and some on disease and infection. Hope this helps. I've got Germany I revise too, I'm doing that at the moment.

Thanks I'll do just that. Had no idea what to do. I'm doing American West as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
(I didn't do Medicine, I did Crime and Punishment & Amr West)
You could:
~ do past papers
~ Write out your notes into posters/ mindmaps etc (and stick them up somewhere - I stuck them to my bedroom wall)
~ Revision Cards
~ You can also do problem and solutions. For Example: Problem = fencing (and why it was a problem). Solution - barbed wire in 1874.
~ I also got my teacher to email me the powerpoints that we used in class.
Reply 8
Original post by Oddities
(I didn't do Medicine, I did Crime and Punishment & Amr West)
You could:
~ do past papers
~ Write out your notes into posters/ mindmaps etc (and stick them up somewhere - I stuck them to my bedroom wall)
~ Revision Cards
~ You can also do problem and solutions. For Example: Problem = fencing (and why it was a problem). Solution - barbed wire in 1874.
~ I also got my teacher to email me the powerpoints that we used in class.

Thanks, these seem like good ideas. I've already tried some of them. I find that I like to revise a topic using mind maps and timelines etc then to do some practise questions on the topic to check what I've learnt
Reply 9
ooooh, i did Medicine for GCSE as well as the Nazis (in a year) . There isn't actually as much content as i thought there was. I didn't have a teacher for most of the year and decided to learn most of it myself, i learnt waaaay more than i needed to, and, as a result, got an A rather than my predicted A* (since i didn't know the stuff i needed to know for the exam in enough detail amongst all the irrelevant information i knew). I have a few things i did do for my exam that really helped, and things that i would do if i was doing the exam again:
1. LOOK AT EXAMINERS REPORT: these are really helpful, particularly for the source questions (which i was not sure of how to structure until i looked at the reports) they have exam examples/ideal answers.
2. Get a copy of the exam specification so you don't learn anything unnecessary for the exam.
3. PRACTISE PAPERS! most important thing, to get used to the exam and what they'll ask you...
Reply 10
If I remember when I did GCSE History B I bought the CGP revision guide and just memorized everything I had to know, learnt the technique and the general structure to answer the questions and I got 150/150 UMS on the day! The important thing is you recognise what the question is asking you and you apply the correct points.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending