The Student Room Group

After Gay Marriage, Shellfish next abomination to be legalised

[h="2"]Gay marriage; Shellfish next abomination to be legalised[/h]After the successful legalisation of gay marriage, which hasn’t resulted in any smiting, earthquakes or unusual cosmological signs, the Government is considering legalising the consumption of shellfish.
‘Leviticus is pretty clear on shellfish they’re an abomination’, admitted David Cameron yesterday. ‘But Leviticus says precisely the same about a man um…lying with a man… as it were. While we respect that that people hold strong views about what is sanctioned in the Old Testament, we think the time may be right to allow people to eat ‘whatever is in the seas and rivers that does not have fins and scales.’
‘I’d like to take this even further, and legalise the planting of two different crops in one field. Let’s face it, if bumming isn’t going to cause divine retribution, a little creative agriculture should be okay’.

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2014/04/10/gay-marriage-shellfish-next-abomination-to-be-legalised/

Scroll to see replies

I hate it when writers like this dont know the first thing about christian theology.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
I hate it when writers like this dont know the first thing abour christian theology.

Shellfish can be ethically eaten.
Original post by clh_hilary
Shellfish can be ethically eaten.

God made shellish a clean food 2000 years ago, when christ ended the old covenant...along with all other OT legislation. Christian condemnation of homosexuality is based on the NT.
As TMS said. Besides, trying to ban shellfish would definitely not work for sure.
God made shellish a clean food 2000 years ago, when christ ended the old covenant...along with all other OT legislation. Christian condemnation of homosexuality is based on the NT.

I don't care about what this god thinks considering how he is not timeless, shellfish can be ethically eaten, and homosexuality is not unethical by nature.
I don't care about what this god thinks considering how he is not timeless, shellfish can be ethically eaten, and homosexuality is not unethical by nature.

I agree, i am just pointing out that the entire artical you posted is based on a fauty argument.
I agree, i am just pointing out that the entire artical you posted is based on a fauty argument.

The article was satire, no need to take it seriously. :cool:

Regardless, how the best churches rationalise it does not matter. The bigoted members of the public do tend to quote that verse in the Old Testament.

That's a bit too strong, what he actually said was a vague "some of it is useful, some of it is a load of *******s, use your common sense".

I thought the only condemnation of homosexuality in the NT is in one of the Pauline epistles and can also be interpreted as a reference to ritual orgies in some cult that was popular at the time.
Original post by scrotgrot
That's a bit too strong, what he actually said was a vague "some of it is useful, some of it is a load of *******s, use your common sense".
Incorrect, there are over thirty clear verses setting aside the ot rules.

I thought the only condemnation of homosexuality in the NT is in one of the Pauline epistles and can also be interpreted as a reference to ritual orgies in some cult that was popular at the time.

Nope there are three clear cut verses in romans, corinthians and jude.

Regardless, how the best churches rationalise it does not matter. The bigoted members of the public do tend to quote that verse in the Old Testament.

They are wrong to do so.
Incorrect, there are over thirty clear verses setting aside the ot rules.

Would you mind citing them for me if you have time?
Original post by scrotgrot
Would you mind citing them for me if you have time?

I am on a tablet so its jusr not practical, you can find them in less than a minute with google.

anyone who quotes leviticus religious or not and follows that probably didn't read it properly.
it was written ONLY for jewish high priests. so the layman can do all the crap in the book
Original post by bottled
anyone who quotes leviticus religious or not and follows that probably didn't read it properly.
it was written ONLY for jewish high priests. so the layman can do all the crap in the book

And regardless, The Bible is just for christians to follow, not everybody else in the society. :tongue:

I thought they were all references to the OT though, no?
I thought they were all references to the OT though, no?

Afraid not.

For the record im a big homo fan, enjoy the D myself, however an argument simply cannot be made that christianity is gay friendly, no matter what weak convoluted arguments modern liberal Christians make.
Afraid not.

For the record im a big homo fan, enjoy the D myself, however an argument simply cannot be made that christianity is gay friendly, no matter what weak convoluted arguments modern liberal Christians make.

You also like the big D, ie Richard Dawkins? :eek: He has so many followers...

Oh I don't have that misconception. It's very clear, and therefore I do find gay christians pretty pathetic.

I'm just saying I was under the impression that all the homophobic mentions followed the Old Testament (ie either from them, or a result of the mentions from it).
And regardless, The Bible is just for christians to follow, not everybody else in the society. :tongue:

you misunderstand. Unless you're a temple priest, you shouldn't follow what they say in leviticus.

that aside the article is rather funny. from the title i thought it was like 'if u allow gay marriage you're gonna let people marry shellfish'
Original post by bottled
you misunderstand. Unless you're a temple priest, you shouldn't follow what they say in leviticus.

that aside the article is rather funny. from the title i thought it was like 'if u allow gay marriage you're gonna let people marry shellfish'

Oh no I understand what you meant. I'm just saying regardless, whatever rule christianity has on anything, they should only impact christians, not everybody else in a society. Assuming it's a society with freedom of religion that is.

Quick Reply