The Student Room Group

Gamer papa starved son to death

[h="2"]A father in South Korea is accused of allowing his young son to starve to death while he played online games, the latest tragedy that highlights the addictive nature of Internet gaming in the super-wired country[/h]A South Korean man has been arrested on suspicion of allowing his 2-year-old son to starve to death while he spent days playing online games at Internet cafés.
The 22-year-old, surnamed Chung, was arrested Monday after the badly decomposed body of a toddler was found in a trash bag near the southeastern city of Daegu, reports Agence France-Presse. The unemployed Chung took care of the child after his wife began working in a factory far from the city in late February.
Compulsive online gaming is already a huge worry for authorities in Seoul, where lawmakers are weighing up whether to classify the activity as potentially addictive as drugs, alcohol or gambling.
In 2009, a couple let their 3-month-old baby starve to death while they played a video game on raising a virtual child, in a case that horrified the entire nation.

http://time.com/63033/south-korea-gaming-toddler-death/
Reply 1
This isn't a problem that exists only in SE Asia, remember all the stories of Famrville Mums, playing Farmville 24/7 neglecting their kids.

I can't think of a game these days that doesn't rely on keeping you hooked and addicted by unlocking achievements, constantly completing little goals and moving on to the next. Regulations should be put in place on how many hours it takes for someone to achieve their ultimate goal within a game. Look at most single player games, for example Assassin's Creed, you follow the story through and at the end most people enjoyed the experience and await the next game, now in contrast to Call of Duty or World of Warcraft people can spend 10 hours a day on them because they're designed to keep people hooked.
What about the guy that suffocated his son, because he was interrupting him from his gaming sessions. I cannot understand how neglecting your own child for a video game is even a viable option.
Oh my CoD!
Reply 4
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Oh my CoD!

Must've been playing StarveCraft

:getmecoat:
Sad as they are, abuse, neglect and deaths due to drugs alcohol and down right pig ignorant parenting massively out numbers these cases, so much so that they frequently hardly make the news.
Just another antigaming tag for the tabloids to froth at the mouth about. The same tabloids that runads for alchol and gambling websites.
Original post by Creat0r
This isn't a problem that exists only in SE Asia, remember all the stories of Famrville Mums, playing Farmville 24/7 neglecting their kids.

I can't think of a game these days that doesn't rely on keeping you hooked and addicted by unlocking achievements, constantly completing little goals and moving on to the next. Regulations should be put in place on how many hours it takes for someone to achieve their ultimate goal within a game. Look at most single player games, for example Assassin's Creed, you follow the story through and at the end most people enjoyed the experience and await the next game, now in contrast to Call of Duty or World of Warcraft people can spend 10 hours a day on them because they're designed to keep people hooked.

Regulating games likes drugs because of the actions of a small minority. I've heard it all now.
Reply 7
Original post by Moosferatu
Regulating games likes drugs because of the actions of a small minority. I've heard it all now.

I also hear they're going to change the legislation on muscle building so that one must not take more than 5 hours to go from nothing to a six-pack, for if it took months/years to get the perfect body, some may become obsessed with the gym to the detriment of the rest of their live.

But yes, ban all multiplayer games or anything which has something more than immediate thrill...nice. Hell even those types of single player games usually have achievements which take a while to get, 100% scores on levels, finding tons of hidden items etc.
Reply 8
This isn't a technology problem, this is a maturity problem.

Some people find WALL-E depressing because they think the humans in it is what people will actually turn into in a few centuries.

Which illustrates the point perfectly. We already are like that. list all the attributes of the humans in WALL-E and it turns out we already do that. In short: overweight people who use vehicles for short travel, with little knowledge of history, who talk to each other with tech and never look up.
Original post by clh_hilary
[h="2"]A father in South Korea is accused of allowing his young son to starve to death while he played online games, the latest tragedy that highlights the addictive nature of Internet gaming in the super-wired country[/h]A South Korean man has been arrested on suspicion of allowing his 2-year-old son to starve to death while he spent days playing online games at Internet cafés.
The 22-year-old, surnamed Chung, was arrested Monday after the badly decomposed body of a toddler was found in a trash bag near the southeastern city of Daegu, reports Agence France-Presse. The unemployed Chung took care of the child after his wife began working in a factory far from the city in late February.
Compulsive online gaming is already a huge worry for authorities in Seoul, where lawmakers are weighing up whether to classify the activity as potentially addictive as drugs, alcohol or gambling.
In 2009, a couple let their 3-month-old baby starve to death while they played a video game on raising a virtual child, in a case that horrified the entire nation.

http://time.com/63033/south-korea-gaming-toddler-death/

Oh class man, lol :devil:
Reply 10
Original post by Creat0r

South Korea is not SE Asia though, it's just east.
Reply 11
Starcraft

He must have been playing Starcraft

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ESPORTIVA
Starcraft

He must have been playing Starcraft

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's all about LoL in South Korea nowadays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by clh_hilary
South Korea is not SE Asia though, it's just east.

I was going to say this; I think the 'South' makes people think that it's in the SEA region. It's called Northeast or East.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by yl95
I was going to say this; I think the 'South' makes people think that it's in the SEA region. It's called Northeast or East.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. South Korea is as 'south' as Spain is on a global scale. Or New York. I would consider only anything south of Yangzi River or from Taiwan on to be south Asia.
Reply 15
Original post by yl95
It's all about LoL in South Korea nowadays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically

It's all blizzards fault

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ESPORTIVA
Basically

It's all blizzards fault

Posted from TSR Mobile

All of my Korean male friends are obsessed with it and it's regularly the most searched keyword in the main search portals. :|

Posted from TSR Mobile
A south Korean man also hired an online hitman in world of war craft to kill his son repeatedly to make him rage quit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A south Korean man also hired an online hitman in world of war craft to kill his son repeatedly to make him rage quit. The son overpowered the hitman and 700 of sk currency was wasted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending