The Student Room Group

Volkswagen Phaeton

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
At the end of the day it's only a VW, a 'VolksWagen', a 'people car'. Driving a Phaeton merely means you couldn't afford a Bentley Continental (or Flying Spur if you insist on a saloon).

VW says understated elegance
Original post by Camoxide

You'd fit well in the 80s/90s when having a German saloon was actually a status symbol.

Indeed except even in the 80s and 90s a VW Passat was no status symbol, it was mostly the BMWs and Mercedes that took the cake.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
At the end of the day it's only a VW, a 'VolksWagen', a 'people car'. Driving a Phaeton merely means you couldn't afford a Bentley Continental (or Flying Spur if you insist on a saloon).

Why would anyone want to spend double the money for a badge ? The Phaeton offers elegant and sophisticated transport for those savvy enough to realise that understated elegance is worth paying more for than a well known badge. That the Phaeton actually undercuts the Flying Spur in price merely makes the case for the Phaeton stronger still.
LOL it looks just like a Hyundai Sonata

anyway i think if you owned a real top of the line german not a entry level saloon,you would not be constantly reassuring yourself on how 'sophisticated' a VW is.
Original post by Mickey O'Neil
I bet you drive a hatchback, don't you?

Indeed I do, I avoid saloons like the plague. Though I'm not sure how your question follows on from what I'd said...
Original post by Rump Steak
Indeed I do, I avoid saloons like the plague. Though I'm not sure how your question follows on from what I'd said...

Can't parallel park properly? Need a smaller car to help you out?

Nothing like reverse parallel parking with one hand in a German saloon looking like a boss. :cool:

Why on earth would anyone go out of their way to avoid owning such an elegant creating. You must ask yourself, is life going as you wanted it to? Have you achieved everything that you wanted to have achieved by 2014 back in 2004 ? I suspect not, and even if it was, owning a Saloon will push life in the right direction for you. I know it did for me. The moment I brought a Saloon, people looked at me differently, and I found my life going places it had never gone before. Once you've had a Saloon you can never go back to a lesser car.
Original post by BritBoyWonder
LOL it looks just like a Hyundai Sonata

anyway i think if you owned a real top of the line german not a entry level saloon,you would not be constantly reassuring yourself on how 'sophisticated' a VW is.

The Hyundai may be a saloon, but you must realise that is not German.
Can't parallel park properly? Need a smaller car to help you out?

Nothing like reverse parallel parking with one hand in a German saloon looking like a boss. :cool:

:rofl: I assure you my parking skills are pretty decent. But it does mean I can fit into all those parking spaces your saloon can't.

Why on earth would I buy a saloon though? I don't need the extra space. A hatchback is cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, more practical, and I think they're far better looking.
:rofl: I assure you my parking skills are pretty decent. But it does mean I can fit into all those parking spaces your saloon can't.

Its okay. Im patient enough being a mature and sophisticated saloon driver to find a decent space. I dont road rage like hatchback chavs.

Why on earth would I buy a saloon though?

Elegance and sophistication.

I don't need the extra space.

You do. You just dont realise it yet. By the time you do realise you will have to fork out more money again to upgrade thus making your original purchase a deficit. Why not buy the best in teh first place?

A hatchback is cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, more practical, and I think they're far
better looking.

Says it all. Hatchbacks are cheap because they're cheap cars. Buy a saloon or if you struggle with a saloon, then an estate. There's just no reason whatsoever to drive a hatchback in the modern world.

Why on earth would I buy a saloon though? I don't need the extra space. A hatchback is cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, more practical, and I think they're far better looking.

Like I said a hatchback is a false economy. You simply will not be afforded the same opportunities in life, or treated with the same respect if your peers know that you drive a hatchback. Why live in shame about your ride, when you could be balling in a Saloon. Saloon drivers get the very best in life, ever wondered why Saloon drivers dress well, have good jobs, live in nice houses and have beautiful women ? Whereas the hatchback drivers are the bottom feeders of society, the vechile of choice for the poor, the unemployed and the dull minded. They shop in Primark, have menial jobs, live in council flats and have women riddled in STDs.
Its okay. Im patient enough being a mature and sophisticated saloon driver to find a decent space. I dont road rage like hatchback chavs.

Just because I don't like to spend hours finding a space doesn't mean I'm a raging chav :wink:

Elegance and sophistication.

Those aren't the first words which spring to my mind when I see a passat, but each to their own!

You do. You just dont realise it yet. By the time you do realise you will have to fork out more money again to upgrade thus making your original purchase a deficit. Why not buy the best in teh first place?

No I don't. If others want more legroom when I'm giving them lifts, their problem not mine :P I've got plenty enough space as it is...

Says it all. Hatchbacks are cheap because they're cheap cars. Buy a saloon or if you struggle with a saloon, then an estate. There's just no reason whatsoever to drive a hatchback in the modern world.

Nope, I said they were cheapER than saloons. Hatchbacks like the Golf R, Audi RS3, I wouldn't exactly call cheap...
Just because I don't like to spend hours finding a space doesn't mean I'm a raging chav :wink:

Sorry but if you drive a hatchback you're either a chav, a single mum, an OAP or claiming benefits. I've done the research.

Those aren't the first words which spring to my mind when I see a passat, but each to their own!

They should be.

No I don't. If others want more legroom when I'm giving them lifts, their problem not mine :P I've got plenty enough space as it is...

You're so in denial its unreal.

Nope, I said they were cheapER than saloons. Hatchbacks like the Golf R, Audi RS3, I wouldn't exactly call cheap...

Those cars are German whips. What do you expect? However, the saloon German whips are superior. Of this you cant deny :smile:
Original post by traintracks1995
Like I said a hatchback is a false economy. You simply will not be afforded the same opportunities in life, or treated with the same respect if your peers know that you drive a hatchback. Why live in shame about your ride, when you could be balling in a Saloon. Saloon drivers get the very best in life, ever wondered why Saloon drivers dress well, have good jobs, live in nice houses and have beautiful women ? Whereas the hatchback drivers are the bottom feeders of society, the vechile of choice for the poor, the unemployed and the dull minded. They shop in Primark, have menial jobs, live in council flats and have women riddled in STDs.

You very nearly had me convinced till I noticed this...
Sorry but if you drive a hatchback you're either a chav, a single mum, an OAP or claiming benefits. I've done the research.

What research?

Majority of students are hatchbacks owners who
A) have little income
B) first time drivers - high insurance which is bare able on hatchbacks
C) don't actually need a big car because they aren't so shallow minded that you need a saloon, or even a car for that matter, to be able 'pull' girls or to be 'baller' which 99.8% of the population really couldn't give 2 about.

Also
Chavs use peds primarily
Single mum uses a hatchback because they really don't need anything bigger and have a child to pay for
OAP really don't care what car, most I know drives 4x4 or Saloons (OLD MEN CARS, for the most part)
And benefits I doubt can afford a car/maintenance/petrol etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
I prefer the Passat. 3.0 liter :-o

The Hyundai may be a saloon, but you must realise that is not German.

To be fair my personal opinion,i think that the vw passat cc is the best saloon they have made.
x

You work for VW, right?

I do like the Phaeton, though. More than just a 'Passat on steroids'. It has a mini-fridge ffs.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
You work for VW, right?

I do like the Phaeton, though. More than just a 'Passat on steroids'. It has a mini-fridge ffs.

You know you've made it when your car has a fridge
You know you've made it when your car has a fridge

Vauxhall Signum has a fridge. just saying...
Original post by MrWhosane
Vauxhall Signum has a fridge. just saying...

Vauxhall is Opel

Opel is German

Swag

Quick Reply

Latest