The Student Room Group

Choosing between Bath and Bristol ?

Hi everyone !
I'm an international student who might go study in the UK next year. But since i'm a foreigner I have trouble choosing between unis I've received an offer from (Bath, Britsol, Durham, Lancaster and St Andrews). My subject is Management and both Bath and Bristol seem to be very good.
So if you have any experience with those universities or opinion about them, please share.
Besides, if you think another one from those which offered me a place is better, feel free to comment. Any point of view really would be much appreciated.
Thank you so much in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Don't have much knowledge when it comes to bath and Bristol but Lancaster and St. Andrews are one of the best in the UK. I think you'll like Lancaster :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by glam17
Hi everyone !
I'm an international student who might go study in the UK next year. But since i'm a foreigner I have trouble choosing between unis I've received an offer from (Bath, Britsol, Durham, Lancaster and St Andrews). My subject is Management and both Bath and Bristol seem to be very good.
So if you have any experience with those universities or opinion about them, please share.
Besides, if you think another one from those which offered me a place is better, feel free to comment. Any point of view really would be much appreciated.
Thank you so much in advance :smile:

If you are particularly interested in our enjoy sport, the sport at bath is apparently really good...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Bath is a small town, university on outskirts has a green campus and quite amazing sports facilities. Bristol a bigger town, university is central. Bath isn't far from Bristol anyway. Depending on where you are from you might be able to get flights into Bristol airport. http://www.bristolairport.co.uk/getting-to-the-airport.aspx You'd get the flyer to the city then train to Bath. if you chose that. Bus to Bath university from the station.

Looking at unistats http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Compare-Courses Bath has a better satisfaction rating and cheaper accommodation
Reply 4
similar rankings bath probably just edges it, bath is a campus uni or the edge of the city whereas bristol uni is spread around the city so depends which you prefer. bristol is a bigger city and the uni is slightly bigger. bath is the nicer city than bristol though. bath and bristol close to london as well.
Reply 5
Are there big differences in term of prestige? Which one is more recognized internationally?
Reply 6
They are all well recognised globally. And it depends what you mean by 'prestige' here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Prestige as in which one is the most impressive in employers eyes?
Reply 8
Well they all are - as an engineering student myself,Lancaster has one of the best Faculties, they follow the collegiate system and are in the top 5 for Engineering in the UK. St Andrews for example, has history behind it, as an old institute, so depends what you're after :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by numanali
Well they all are - as an engineering student myself,Lancaster has one of the best Faculties, they follow the collegiate system and are in the top 5 for Engineering in the UK. St Andrews for example, has history behind it, as an old institute, so depends what you're after :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, the thing is i don't really know what i'm after exactly mainly because I don't know what my options are… I am from France and our educational system is quite diferent from yours. Thats why i'm a little lost when it comes to compare unis. I simply don't know what i should compare as in what kind of stuff I should look up, you see ? :smile:
But thank you anyway for your answers they are really helpful, and I am 99% sure Lancaster will be my second choice btw :biggrin:

PS: Whats a collegiate system exactly ?
Reply 10
If you're from France one important point to note is that English universities will charge you 9,000 GBP a year for your degree, while Scottish universities offer it for free. Big point for St Andrews. Beautiful town by the see the way, great pubs and loads of old historic buildings. I live nearby.
Reply 11
Collegiate system is a system followed by Universities such as Cambridge, Oxford and Aberdeen :smile: for example Aberdeen has The Kings College - which is quite famous.

And well fees at English Universities are at £9k, but they are paid by student finance England - which you pay back once you earn around 24000 a year, and the repayments are interest free so are not much. Having said that, English Universities are better I believe - when it comes to the Faculties and Education Standards, but none the less, uni's like Aberdeen, St Andrews are a class in their own way - so it depends what you're after :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Another thing is accessibility, and travel, studying in England it won't be an issue, Scotland however is a different story, not many airports, expensive flights etc etc. So this is something you should look at - as you'll be traveling back and fro during Christmas etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by numanali
And well fees at English Universities are at £9k, but they are paid by student finance England - which you pay back once you earn around 24000 a year, and the repayments are interest free so are not much. Having said that, English Universities are better I believe - when it comes to the Faculties and Education Standards, but none the less, uni's like Aberdeen, St Andrews are a class in their own way - so it depends what you're after :smile:

1. Yes, you only have to pay it back later, but you still need to pay it back. So in the end you will pay 27,000 GBP for a degree in England (no matter when you pay it) and nothing for one in Scotland. Subtract from that some the cost of living for one additional year at a Scottish university.

2. This is wrong. From 2nd year on (which is equivalent to 1st year in England) the standards are pretty much the same for decent universities. There are pretty bad universities in Scotland (West Scotland or Highlands and Islands), but the same applies to England (London Met etc.)

3. I don't know where you got that from, but Aberdeen is not in a league of its own :wink: It's good, but nowhere near St Andrews or Edinburgh. It's more in a league with Dundee - both very good, but not world famous.
Reply 14
Haha yes well cost is an important factor although i don't think i should choose the university im going to spend at least 3 years in according to that. When i applied there i knew it was going to be expensive. But a good education is priceless right ? (Not reducing the excellence of St Andrews here)
Thanks a lot to you both for sharing anyway!
Reply 15
Original post by Sir Fox
1. Yes, you only have to pay it back later, but you still need to pay it back. So in the end you will pay 27,000 GBP for a degree in England (no matter when you pay it) and nothing for one in Scotland. Subtract from that some the cost of living for one additional year at a Scottish university.

2. This is wrong. From 2nd year on (which is equivalent to 1st year in England) the standards are pretty much the same for decent universities. There are pretty bad universities in Scotland (West Scotland or Highlands and Islands), but the same applies to England (London Met etc.)

3. I don't know where you got that from, but Aberdeen is not in a league of its own :wink: It's good, but nowhere near St Andrews or Edinburgh. It's more in a league with Dundee - both very good, but not world famous.

For Aberdeen, I was being 'Engineering' specific here - and their faculty is one of the best in Engineering (Petroleum etc). Having met the faculty myself (at multiple occasions), I do believe that their Engineering Faculty is one if the best in Scotland. Yes St Andrews and Edinburgh are brilliant , but they don't offer half the courses offered by Aberdeen (Engineering). Hence, it has one of the strongest Engineering faculties and other Schools within Aberdeen hold a very good repute too. Furthermore, their collegiate system is one the few, that UK Universities follow - so Aberdeen, is exactly what I said earlier -
When I said education standards - I've studied both in Scotland and England, the Education Standard is VERY different. I would personally go for England on this one, regardless of the fees.

Anyway, hope that helped - Best of Luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending