The Student Room Group

What does getting a tattoo feel like?

A rather noob sounding question I'm afraid!

Booked in to my local studio a week today to get a small tatt on the side of my finger. This will be my first so don't know what it feels like. I'm ok with needles so that's a plus.

Just any tips and your experiences of getting tatts you are willing to share would be great :smile:

*edit * getting it done on my wrist instead now. Still getting the same design though :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is what I'm getting done except with a red heart for the nose. Its in memory of my cat I lost recently to cancer. As most of you know, I'm a cat lady :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yasmin25

Just any tips and your experiences of getting tatts you are willing to share would be great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know some jobs would frown upon having a tattoo on something as visible as your finger. Are you sure you don't want it done on a different part of your body?
Reply 3
Original post by Autistic Merit
I know some jobs would frown upon having a tattoo on something as visible as your finger. Are you sure you don't want it done on a different part of your body?

I'm sure. Do you actually have a tattoo? I'm only really wanting to know what it feels like getting done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry I don't have an answer but I'm interested in this :smile: I'm thinking of getting a tattoo on my forearm or back of my shoulder if I'm still 100% sure in a couple years.

This might help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE0qGpW44Bo <-- Sounds like it will be pretty painful because fingers are usually bony and don't have much padding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLplRmKTBGg <-- This girl rated her finger tattoos as 8/10 or 9/10 but said it goes quickly.
Reply 5
Thanks. I shall check the links out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Debating where to get my tattoo. My engagement ring would rub off it and affect the healing on my finger no doubt so dunno where else to get it lol. Still gonna get the same wee cat design though :smile:
Placement wise the most common placement for a tattoo like that seems, to me at least, to be the outside of your first finger, so you can hold it up to look like a 'tache / whiskers, whatever (I don't get it, but hey ho.)

Being tattooed depends heavily on who is tattooing you bit generally feels like you are being scratched with a warm pin, it's odd, more than painful.

Anyway, if you go with placement in the pic it shouldn't be too bad. People like to make out that getting a tattoo really hurts, most of the time it really doesn't.
Reply 8
Yeah my first choice was to get it on my finger but the fact that my engagement ring would rub off while healing puts me off. Can't get it on the same finger on the other side due to cracked skin and my other fingers aren't long enough lol.

I'm debating between getting it on my wrist, top side of my thigh or my chest but dunno yet. Got 6 days to decide for sure so better get my thinking cap on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
This is what I'm getting done except with a red heart for the nose. Its in memory of my cat I lost recently to cancer. As most of you know, I'm a cat lady :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, it depends on the body part really. I have a tattoo on the side of my neck and it actually didnt hurt at all. It felt more like a tickle. My only issue was that it felt weird when i turned my head, sort of like a sunburn. But apart from that it was ok, you don't have to worry about it!

P.S. I'm sorry about your cat...
Reply 10
It feels like regret
To be honest, I'd be worried about the longevity of a tattoo on any of your fingers - the constant movement and wear it would get is likely to mess with the healing and its longer-term appearance.

Generally, getting a tattoo feels like a hot, deep scratch - a bit like a cat scratch in slow motion. Uncomfortable but manageable.
It's a burning sensation like dragging a pin across you're skin almost but it's not so bad - I got mine on my ankle which is meant to be one of the sorest places apparently but I only thought "oh sh*t" when it was practically on the bone the rest wasn't that painful, I found it sorer the for the first 24 hours after.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Persipan
To be honest, I'd be worried about the longevity of a tattoo on any of your fingers - the constant movement and wear it would get is likely to mess with the healing and its longer-term appearance.

Generally, getting a tattoo feels like a hot, deep scratch - a bit like a cat scratch in slow motion. Uncomfortable but manageable.

Yeah I've chosen to get it on my wrist instead :smile: still going to get the same design though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got a tattoo on my ribs which hurt like hell, felt like someone was gently scraping the surface of my skin with a knife. Also got a tattoo on my ankle which didn't hurt so much. As others have said it really depends on placement, if its on the bone it will hurt alot. The finger probably wont hurt too much and it will be over quite quick, but take a paracetamol before if you're worried. Good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by Catherine_H
I've got a tattoo on my ribs which hurt like hell, felt like someone was gently scraping the surface of my skin with a knife. Also got a tattoo on my ankle which didn't hurt so much. As others have said it really depends on placement, if its on the bone it will hurt alot. The finger probably wont hurt too much and it will be over quite quick, but take a paracetamol before if you're worried. Good luck!

Hey I've decided to get it on my wrist instead of my finger, still getting the same design though :smile: I read that wrists and ankles can be the 2 most painful sites for a tattoo but you saying your ankle one didn't hurt too much gave me faith :tongue:
I'm more excited than nervous though no doubt that will change on the day! Only 3 days to go now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I've decided to get it on my wrist instead of my finger, still getting the same design though :smile: I read that wrists and ankles can be the 2 most painful sites for a tattoo but you saying your ankle one didn't hurt too much gave me faith :tongue:
I'm more excited than nervous though no doubt that will change on the day! Only 3 days to go now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think the wrist will hurt much to be honest, but everyones pain tolerance is different :smile: Try not to worry too much about it! x
Reply 17
Tattoo is an art while getting tattooed it is an quite very natural thing by which people are very crazy about tattoo.
Reply 18
I have one on my hip, going over my hip bones which are really 'bony' haha. It hurt so much but it is manageable, even for me and I have a low pain threshold generally. It's something you get used to, and without sounding too kinky even come to enjoy after a few minutes haha. What you have is absolutely tiny, it will take about one minute haha so I really wouldn't worry about the pain, it will be like a few hard scratches with a hot pin, with all the nerves tensed.
I have one on my wrist. It's like having a needle dragged through your skin. It's a bit painful, but not unbearable, and you can ask them to stop for a minute if you need a few seconds away from the feeling.

Quick Reply

Latest