The Student Room Group

GCSE - Facts Game

Hello, okay to play the 'GCSE' Facts game all you do is write a simple fact about any of the core subjects be it - English, Maths or Science.

All you do is write a statement about one of the subjects and someone responds whether it's True or False and create a new statement.

For example:

User 1: Speed = Distance ÷ Time

User 2: True - Mr. Birling in an 'Inspector Calls' is not a capitalist.

User 3: False - In Maths, the mean is where you add all numbers and divide by how many there are.

And so on...

I feel this could help people just read through various topics and pick up some interesting facts which could help them. They don't need to be as simple as the ones in the example.

I'll start:
Weight = Mass × Gravitational Field Strength

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HarjKS
Hello, okay to play the 'GCSE' Facts game all you do is write a simple fact about any of the core subjects be it - English, Maths or Science.

All you do is write a statement about one of the subjects and someone responds whether it's True or False and create a new statement.

For example:

User 1: Speed = Distance ÷ Time

User 2: True - Mr. Birling in an 'Inspector Calls' is not a capitalist.

User 3: False - In Maths, the mean is where you add all numbers and divide by how many there are.

And so on...

I feel this could help people just read through various topics and pick up some interesting facts which could help them. They don't need to be as simple as the ones in the example.

I'll start:
Weight = Mass × Gravitational Field Strength

This is an awesome idea. :biggrin:
Cool idea!

W = mg is true (I think :tongue:)

1 N = 1 kg m/s

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hmm okay. Each of the Birlings in An Inspector Calls represents a different facet of selfishness.
Reply 4
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
Hmm okay. Each of the Birlings in An Inspector Calls represents a different facet of selfishness.

[Indent]Is that not subjective?[/Indent]
Reply 5

This is seen as true in the eyes of many. 'An Inspector Calls' play carries a Christian message, applying a deadly sin to each of the characters - Arthur is greed, Eric is lust, Sheila is envy, Sybil is vanity. Priestley does this to assign the family as villainous and to discourage their behaviour.

Okay, my 'fact':
Underneath her dangerous aura, Curley's Wife is really just a simple girl who's taken the wrong path with her life.
(edited 9 years ago)
(You're not meant to say whether it's a fact or not lol that's for another person to guess)

Mitochondria carry out protein synthesis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by violetvictorious
(You're not meant to say whether it's a fact or not lol that's for another person to guess)

Mitochondria carry out protein synthesis

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, that's ribosomes IIRC :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by majmuh24
Nah, that's ribosomes IIRC :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zen-Ali
Is that not subjective?

We were told it was a fact :tongue:
Today is Wednesday.
Reply 11
We were told it was a fact :tongue:

Strange. :afro:

313π\sqrt[3]{31} \approx \pi

Is the above true or not?
Reply 12
Ethanol is made through aerobic respiration of yeast
Original post by Manexopi
Ethanol is made through aerobic respiration of yeast

False, lactic acid is produced.
Soaps are made by boiling a concentrated alkali with oils and fats.
False, lactic acid is produced.
Soaps are made by boiling a concentrated alkali with oils and fats.

Yep, they should be IIRC :tongue:

Saturated fats have lower boiling points than unsaturated fats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by majmuh24
Yep, they should be IIRC :tongue:

Saturated fats have lower boiling points than unsaturated fats.

Posted from TSR Mobile

False, unsaturated fats have more double bonds this decreases boiling and melting points.
Original post by AlphaNick
The Haber Process occurs at 450 degrees C because it produces the best yield for ammonia. (true/false? + explain)

Yep, because it produces the optimum yield of ammonia. Any lower would decreases rate of reaction and higher would shift equilibrium to the reverse direction (N2+3H2 side).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry but you are incorrect. The Haber Process occurs at 450'c to increase the rate of reaction, not the yield which I stated. The optimum temperature for yield is lower than this.

Ah whoops, just me misreading the question again, lulz :tongue: Gotta watch out for those questions in exams, they always trip me up :redface:

A SR flip flop can be used to store information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Sorry but you are incorrect. The Haber Process occurs at 450'c to increase the rate of reaction, not to increase the yield which I stated. The optimum temperature for yield is lower than this. The yield isn't relevant since all materials are recycled anyway!

[Indent]Xylem tubes are made out of living cells.

Is the above true or false? :tongue:[/Indent]
false.

is the following equation correct: v=u + at

Quick Reply

Latest