The Student Room Group

how to be great at your job?

so guys, after months and months of searching for a job, i have now got a job. My problem is that i am worried that i going to flop at it. Usually, i keep a job for like 2or 3 months and that's because i am always getting threated to get the sack or getting complaints about lack of productivity, working too slow etc. I am tired of always being that guy and i want this job to be a fresh start. I wanna be that guy who is always on top of everything (not the guy up the manager's ass, all the time) but the guy who does his work good and never gets complaints form the manager...Some of you guys who work here, prob know a few guys who fit this description. So any tips, guys? Where i am going to be working is a retail/ restaurant/catering place..so, i have got to be on the ball, constantly. Plus i am really really really **** at maths. Was always in the 2nd or 3rd to last group for maths back in high school I did one job for a month and i worked at the tills..and it was a disaster (the tills weren't electronic hah)...but yeah, i am really dreading working on the tills..i am scared i am gonna mess up..i literally can't count or calculate haha

Thanks
Reply 1
anyone??
Reply 2
I understand why you'd be worried about using the tills if you're not good at maths as I was the exact same when I started volunteering at a charity shop to gain work experience for the first time. The only thing you will have to double check and count is the amount of money you're given by a customer and then the till does the rest by telling you how much change you need to give back.

Regarding being great at your job, just do as you're told by the manager and don't make any mistakes. It's understandable you might be a little slow or make a few mistakes at first but you learn from them. When working with customers, remember good customer service and be polite at all times.
Reply 3
Original post by Nfergs
I understand why you'd be worried about using the tills if you're not good at maths as I was the exact same when I started volunteering at a charity shop to gain work experience for the first time. The only thing you will have to double check and count is the amount of money you're given by a customer and then the till does the rest by telling you how much change you need to give back.

Regarding being great at your job, just do as you're told by the manager and don't make any mistakes. It's understandable you might be a little slow or make a few mistakes at first but you learn from them. When working with customers, remember good customer service and be polite at all times.

hey, thanks for the reply. Yeah, i am really dreading till work but i guess, it has to be done. Yeah, although they said it will be the trianing period, i still don't want to take it too easy because at my last job, i took it too easy/laid back back during the training (like got used to that whole - don't worry about making mistake vibe) and once the trianing was over, i was still in that laidback mode. #

Another problem that i have had in all of my jobs is that i have always been told that i work too slow. When i was told this at my last job, i tried to be as fast as i can but however this led me to making even more mistakes as i was just rushing from task to task. Also,i have noticed that when i work, my mind gets distracted. Like i start to go off in imaginary world etc and the work/doing the tasks at the same time, which would lead to me working slow. I am the kind of guy who is literally thinking (about random stuff) or imagining things all the time, on the bus, while out, all the time etc.
Er... would say get a job where you are not working on the tills. Think they do a lot of the donkey work now but you may have a few buttons to press so really concentrate on the routine of using the till when they train you, if still feeling out of your depth after training ask if you can go in sometime in your spare time to practice a bit more, beforehand is possible but after you've started doing shifts if not, many people do this so chances are they will be ok with it. Obviously only do it if you are real not on top of it as you don't want to look an idiot if it is just the odd thing or so you are not sure of. Would'nt worry too much about retail/restaurant jobs as most are a poor work environment for all basic grade employees. Supervisor's/Managers can often be t*at's as they want to move up the chain or are getting it in the ear from those above, area managers who need good results to show there superiors. Area Managers can often give Manager's a hard time and Managers shop floor staff a hard time. Worst is when Managers give you a hard time when you are already working your *rse off as they don't mind trying to screw the life out of the shop floor staff if it means they promotion to next grade. If your lucky you will get nice/reasonable managers, but long term look for work in other areas even if it is not that glamourous a lot of other mundane stuff has better working conditions than retail/restaurant. Best in the mean time to just agree with whatever your manager says as long as it is not too ridiculous and do it as far as you can, if you mess up or they complain just agree and carry on, you'll be low down on there hit list of people to get rid of that way, probably. Trying too hard to please them could be a mistake as they could take the p*ss and get you working all hours for nothing or working ridiculously hard so you don't want to be a mug either. That's my thoughts anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending