The Student Room Group

Feel so lost careers wise?

Just a quick note - I suffer from depression so I know that's probably why I feel so lost, along with today I thought I was getting an offer to join the police force (the dream job, I think?) but then got shot down because apparently you have to be 18 to do anything in todays blooming society! I'll try not to swear :P

I have C's across the board in terms of GCSE's, except B in IT and both Englishes. Currently unemployed studying AS Law, Politics and Philosophy (and History, but our teacher really cannot teach History, so I don't intend on passing that and, if I get onto A2, it's the three above I'll be taking on).
I'm getting C's and B's (occassional D) on mocks for the above, and it's likely I'll be coming on to A2. I don't want to go to University, I also have anxiety so my guilt goes into overddrive if I have any kind of debt or if I need to repay someone (such as I want to repay mum and her partner for my car, moped and insurance for both, around 3 grand all in all) and so I just wouldn't be able to focus, and all I want to do in life is play games, watch anime, go Japan and be physical (as much as I love games and anime, I can't just sit around all day, unlike my best mates...)
So, yeah, I'm just really, really lost, I have no skills per se except I'm physical to an extent (I'm no athlete, but I'm around 13st, just under 6 and a half foot, do basic karate as I dropped out of my class because of money issues and hit the gym as it's free at college) and I like law and philosophy, that's it, just, ugh, fml -_-

And a quick side note, in terms of work experience, I did compulsory work for school with my best mates dad on a construction site, I've done some landscape gardening with my mums partners mate and worked at poundstretcher - and I now despise retail because my boss was horrible...
(edited 10 years ago)
You have better grades than I did at that stage, albeit very similar. I was unhappy too, though not with clinical depression.
Do you take meds or have therapies? There are ways to improve it, and its not something to ignore (not to say that you do).

Unfortunately the job market in the UK is really poor at the moment, so maybe education could be the way to go if you don't want any old job.

You may think that education isn't for you as I didn't, but in retrospect it was a good choice.

I'm sure your debts can be settled with an agreement, lets say you get a weekend job - 3k isn't a massive amount.

We sound quite similar really - I loved gaming, south park (rather than anime :P), and physical stuff.

I hated schooling and wanted out as I hated gcses and my A/s levels, but instead carried on. I used the physical stuff I knew and did a Sports Science national diploma, as it was something I was very interested in I did well. This made me want to study other stuff I enjoyed such as psychology and now neuroscience.
The education puts you in a place where you're able to get into a job that you would be interested in doing, so I do feel its important.

There are similar courses which relate to your interests, such as the police service or law:

http://www.harrogate.ac.uk/courses/course/btec-level-3-extended-diploma-in-uniformed-public-services

https://www.walsallcollege.ac.uk/courses/law/btec-subsidiary-diploma-in-applied-law-level-3-followed-by-btec-level-3-diploma-in-business-law/

Something like that I feel would be good in supporting an application to the police when you're of age to apply. The Special Constabulary looks very interesting too - volunteer police with the same powers, which would also support an application.

I babbled a bit, but I hope it helped
Reply 2
Thank you for the reply, it is wierd how similar we are! Don't know what I'd do without the internet! Well, my college I'm at now I couldn't ask for anything else, so may take a sport course up actually, even though I just applied for A2, I don't know... As much as through my school years I didn't want to end up with any old job, Im just so impartial to life as long as I can get a job that will get me a flat, a bike, repay my mum and get me to Japan, and isn't retail, I'd do anything - but, when I search for jobs in the summer after my exams, I'll defo take a look at 'sporty' jobs - thanks again!
Original post by Waldy565
Thank you for the reply, it is wierd how similar we are! Don't know what I'd do without the internet! Well, my college I'm at now I couldn't ask for anything else, so may take a sport course up actually, even though I just applied for A2, I don't know... As much as through my school years I didn't want to end up with any old job, Im just so impartial to life as long as I can get a job that will get me a flat, a bike, repay my mum and get me to Japan, and isn't retail, I'd do anything - but, when I search for jobs in the summer after my exams, I'll defo take a look at 'sporty' jobs - thanks again!

How about doing a combined course with Japanese? You'll increase your chances significantly of working there if you know the language. Also try and find a course that does exchanges with Japan that will also help your chances of getting work there.
Reply 4
Well, there is the JET program, teaching English over there, but still requires a degree and I don't know whether I'm mentally possible to actually go Uni anyway, forget the massive debt...
Original post by Waldy565
Just a quick note - I suffer from depression so I know that's probably why I feel so lost, along with today I thought I was getting an offer to join the police force (the dream job, I think?) but then got shot down because apparently you have to be 18 to do anything in todays blooming society! I'll try not to swear :P

I have C's across the board in terms of GCSE's, except B in IT and both Englishes. Currently unemployed studying AS Law, Politics and Philosophy (and History, but our teacher really cannot teach History, so I don't intend on passing that and, if I get onto A2, it's the three above I'll be taking on).
I'm getting C's and B's (occassional D) on mocks for the above, and it's likely I'll be coming on to A2. I don't want to go to University, I also have anxiety so my guilt goes into overddrive if I have any kind of debt or if I need to repay someone (such as I want to repay mum and her partner for my car, moped and insurance for both, around 3 grand all in all) and so I just wouldn't be able to focus, and all I want to do in life is play games, watch anime, go Japan and be physical (as much as I love games and anime, I can't just sit around all day, unlike my best mates...)
So, yeah, I'm just really, really lost, I have no skills per se except I'm physical to an extent (I'm no athlete, but I'm around 13st, just under 6 and a half foot, do basic karate as I dropped out of my class because of money issues and hit the gym as it's free at college) and I like law and philosophy, that's it, just, ugh, fml -_-

And a quick side note, in terms of work experience, I did compulsory work for school with my best mates dad on a construction site, I've done some landscape gardening with my mums partners mate and worked at poundstretcher - and I now despise retail because my boss was horrible...

If police officer is your dream job, why not reapply when you're 18?

Also, have you ever considered joining the Armed Forces?
I wouldn't pigeonhole myself into a career in the Police Force, especially in this climate where they rarely recruit. I too wanted to become a Police Officer after finishing University but they weren't recruiting and only recently have they began recruitment.

Look into teaching (P.E teacher/primary?), what about I.T?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending