The Student Room Group

Should I get a tuition loan?

I was doing my student finance application and checking with my parents what I was applying for and they told me not to apply for tuition because they'll cover it. I'm Welsh so I only pay the old ~£3k fees but even then, I didn't expect them to pay. My parents earn too much for grants/bursaries so I'd assumed I was getting a maintenance loan and tuition loan but apparently not.
The thing is, I'm not on great terms with my parents and I'm already planning on telling them I'm agnostic once I leave for uni which might or might not ruin the relationship completely so I don't want to feel in debt to them in any way whatsoever. I was under the impression that we weren't doing great with money so this is a shock to me. I was prepared to take the loan but is it stupid to reject free money?

Should I just let them pay? Even if there's a risk the relationship might break down? Or should I insist on taking the loan and deal with it myself?
It is the best loan you will ever have. You won't ever get another one with such good and reasonable terms. Fast forward 3/4 years when your degree is over and you will most likely want to either rent a property or maybe even get a mortgage. If your parents are prepared to give you some money it would be much, much better saved for then. If they're prepared to pay for the whole of your course over the 3 years, that's £9,000, which is enough for a few month's rent on a flat and to furnish it, and it would also be a good start to getting a deposit for a mortgage (and might even be the full amount depending on where you live).

Parents don't tend to understand the student loans system, but I got all of my loans and just saved the money, and was very glad that I did it!
Reply 2
If it was me, i would take out a tuition loan and ask that the money they were going to pay help go towards living costs since you will lose out on maintenance grants etc.
Original post by flyyoufools
I was doing my student finance application and checking with my parents what I was applying for and they told me not to apply for tuition because they'll cover it. I'm Welsh so I only pay the old ~£3k fees but even then, I didn't expect them to pay. My parents earn too much for grants/bursaries so I'd assumed I was getting a maintenance loan and tuition loan but apparently not.
The thing is, I'm not on great terms with my parents and I'm already planning on telling them I'm agnostic once I leave for uni which might or might not ruin the relationship completely so I don't want to feel in debt to them in any way whatsoever. I was under the impression that we weren't doing great with money so this is a shock to me. I was prepared to take the loan but is it stupid to reject free money?

Should I just let them pay? Even if there's a risk the relationship might break down? Or should I insist on taking the loan and deal with it myself?

So I'm assuming they are very religious?If you choose to get the loans then you'll be completely independent,whereas if they pay they might (although it's unlikely) hold it over you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending