The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh entry criteria?

Edinburgh state this as their entry criteria for the course I want to do:

"A Levels: AAA (to applicants who have achieved a strong set of GCSE A* grades)"

If I don't have lots of GCSE A* grades, does this mean that my offer will be higher grades or that I won't be likely to get an offer?

At GCSE I got 3A*s, 6As and 2Bs and at A Level I should hopefully be getting A*AA
Original post by OhhNo
Edinburgh state this as their entry criteria for the course I want to do:

"A Levels: AAA (to applicants who have achieved a strong set of GCSE A* grades)"

If I don't have lots of GCSE A* grades, does this mean that my offer will be higher grades or that I won't be likely to get an offer?

At GCSE I got 3A*s, 6As and 2Bs and at A Level I should hopefully be getting A*AA

Call them and ask.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I applied to edinburgh with ABBB at AS, and a mediocre set of GCSEs, with no special circumstances. I received a BBB offer for History, a subject with the same entry requirements as you specify.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
My son got a string of GCSEs that were several grades lower than yours. They were well deserved grades as he did hardly any work. His 6th form performance to date has been extremely good (same work ethic mind you) and he got an early maths offer which he has just recently accepted.

GCSE performance is such a terrible predictor of future performance and the vast majority of universities only pay a small amount of attention to it (except in very over-subscribed courses where the number of applicants have to be culled).

Some pupils put in little effort and do reasonably well; some work very hard and do not; some go to poor performing schools and others have fantastic resources at school and home. There are too many confounding factors at work and so universities do not attribute a tremendous amount of utility to performance at this level.

However, getting a top grade in the subject you want to study at university is usually very important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending