The Student Room Group

GMAT or GRE?

I am in the process of looking at masters degree options for programmes starting in 2015. I have noticed that a lot of the programmes either request a 'GMAT/GRE' result - or note that having one is beneficial - as such I will be taking either of the tests. Is anybody here knowledgeable about them? Which one is typically easier (if at all?) especially regarding quantitative questions? Thanks!
Reply 1
There is a forum over at Gmatclub.com with reviews from people who did both. Basically, the Gmat has a tougher Quant section and the new Critical Reasoning. Understandable given its focus on management sciences. If you are a poet, take GRE. Quant students (STEM, econ) do mostly GMAT. A major advantage for GMAT is the availability at Pearson test centres, you can retake the test every month. Gmat also requires more prep work and you can't take the exam cold.

Having said that, those who did business BA degrees and took both test score in most cases similar scores, so no variances. I like the Manhattan GMAT Test book with CD.

Have fun and good luck.
Reply 2
Thanks a lot TCannon. I have done a little bit more research and it seems that some graduate schools ask just for a GRE. I reckon I will get more bang for my buck doing that!
Reply 3
More BSchools have accepted the GRE in the past 5 years. If one is not sure, GRE are more widespread.
Reply 4
I'm having trouble locating a test centre for it in the UK. It says it is all done via 'prometric' test centres but I cannot locate them without going right through the application process. Have you (or anyone else) had any experience with these test centres?
Reply 5
Nope, that is the reason why I said that Gmat is more convenient with more centres and test dates.
Reply 6
As to which one you do, simply look at the programmes you want to apply for, and do whichever one is required. That is the simplest solution. Most economics programmes typically require GRE, whereas from what I've seen most management programmes typically require the GMAT.

In terms of test centres for the GRE, there is one in London, and I think in Edinburgh if I recall correctly? But just go on the website to check locations. Either way you are more than likely going to have to travel somewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending