The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get an A* in Biology A-Level?

I'm just curious..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just got to do well at A2 and those synoptic essays.
Reply 2
Some 'natural' ability will be needed in addition to very hard work
Reply 3
It's weird, everyone I know works really hard for biology and are really intelligent but it seems like the A* grade is nearly impossible.
Original post by Top Queen
It's weird, everyone I know works really hard for biology and are really intelligent but it seems like the A* grade is nearly impossible.

How so?

It's definitely easier than Chemistry.
Reply 5
Original post by keromedic
How so?

It's definitely easier than Chemistry.

I disagree, I think Chemistry is easier. Less effort is required in trying to get a good grade.
I disagree, I think Chemistry is easier. Less effort is required in trying to get a good grade.

Oh Right.

In any case, I think that it's fairly easy to get A* in Biology (compared to other subjects).
Reply 7
Oh Right.

In any case, I think that it's fairly easy to get A* in Biology (compared to other subjects).

Its so hard, it's just luck, you could be so smart, do all the past papers and come out with a B.
Its so hard, it's just luck, you could be so smart, do all the past papers and come out with a B.

Do you really think so?

Have you tried learning the specification?
Reply 9
Do you really think so?

Have you tried learning the specification?

Yes, I have done every possible thing, as me something and I can guarantee I've done it. It's a really hard subject..
For me I missed the a* in it because of the empa. Only got a c in it compared to the proper exams which I was well above 90% ums on. I swear the empas are complete luck, the mark schemes for them are moronic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by RumpeIstiltskin
For me I missed the a* in it because of the empa. Only got a c in it compared to the proper exams which I was well above 90% ums on. I swear the empas are complete luck, the mark schemes for them are moronic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Argh, thats frustrating! I hope everything worked out for you, how did you revise? I do everything but never get above a B in A2, and I get a B when I do hours and hours and hours of work.
Yes, I have done every possible thing, as me something and I can guarantee I've done it. It's a really hard subject..

Have you tried identifying what you do wrongly?
Reply 13
Have you tried identifying what you do wrongly?

Multiple times, nobody knows what I'm doing wrong, my teachers are confused and puzzled by the situation.
The problem with biology is that you can know the content but not get the marks if you don't put the exact words on the mark schemes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by RumpeIstiltskin
The problem with biology is that you can know the content but not get the marks if you don't put the exact words on the mark schemes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly, there is no way around it..
If you keep doing the questions and studying the mark schemes to see what you miss you can know what they want if the question comes up again. The raw marks required for an a* are well below 90% so it's definitely possible to get one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I personally think Biology has the hardest application questions
Reply 18
Original post by spookz
I personally think Biology has the hardest application questions

Definitely!! It's too hard!
Reply 19
Definitely!! It's too hard!

I just think to myself, how does the examiner think of such cruel questions.

Quick Reply

Latest