The Student Room Group

What do you think of GP surgeries opening all hours?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/apr/13/gps-surgeries-open-all-hours-50m-pound-reform

I have recently read this article and I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this. Do you think it's justified to spend 50mill on this or do you think there is somewhere better the NHS could spend this money on?
Reply 1
I think it's about ****ing time they started opening so I don't have to have a half day to see a doctor. Some people who use the NHS actually have to fund it you know. It's all those that currently contribute zero to the NHS who get the best access to it because they don't even work!
Original post by Huskaris
I think it's about ****ing time they started opening so I don't have to have a half day to see a doctor. Some people who use the NHS actually have to fund it you know. It's all those that currently contribute zero to the NHS who get the best access to it because they don't even work!

cough foreign students free NHS cough
Reply 3

PRSOM. Although I can't complain, I only work part time.

This
Reply 5
Deffo think its a good idea. It would reduce admissions to A&E, people may currently be put off going to GP (cant get time of work etc) prolonging and possible making worse health problems. Possibly may increase uptake in screening programes as well
On the whole a good idea. But my experience is that gps are not easy to talk to. They do not explain what is going on, what can be done etc but to quick to dish out tablets and prescriptions which isn't always the answer. If this helps with them spending quality time with patients then it is a step in the right direction.
Reply 7
Original post by Kutie Karen
On the whole a good idea. But my experience is that gps are not easy to talk to. They do not explain what is going on, what can be done etc but to quick to dish out tablets and prescriptions which isn't always the answer. If this helps with them spending quality time with patients then it is a step in the right direction.

I think I agree with you here. This is the reason I personally don't visit the GP much myself. All I want is for them to have a good conversation about what is wrong with me and best possible treatments, instead of them just prescribing some random drugs to me.
Reply 8

Hmm yeah I agree with you to some extend, but at the end of the day I think everyone is offered the same quality of treatment on the NHS. Whether they are working or not doesn't really affect it so it's not like those who are not working are receiving the best access.
Reply 9
Original post by lorobolorolo
Hmm yeah I agree with you to some extend, but at the end of the day I think everyone is offered the same quality of treatment on the NHS. Whether they are working or not doesn't really affect it so it's not like those who are not working are receiving the best access.

The same quality of treatment yes. But woe betide you if you fall ill during the working week. And come to think of it, outside the working week too, because the doctor will not see you now.
All hours will help lessen the load of minor A&E visits, preventing the looooooong endlesss wait
Reply 11
The same quality of treatment yes. But woe betide you if you fall ill during the working week. And come to think of it, outside the working week too, because the doctor will not see you now.

I don't know what GP you go to, but most of them try to give you some appointment during the week. So if u do actually get ill then what do you end up doing?
Reply 12
Original post by lorobolorolo
I don't know what GP you go to, but most of them try to give you some appointment during the week. So if u do actually get ill then what do you end up doing?

Working.
I think there should be more opening hour slots for routine apps widely available for the week not months ahead. As you may need to see the doc and many surgeries have waiting times of 3-4 weeks sometimes and this can be too long for a routine checkup. Say for a follow up - your bug or issue may of cleared up or you've ended up seeking out other places of care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I sometimes have to have a few days off school to see my GP about something trivial, like a medial review or something. You have to ring up in the morning (phone lines open at 9), and sit there ringing and ringing until you get through, only to be told that there aren't any appointments left for that day, and no, you can't book appointments in advance unless a doctor does it for you?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dusky Mauve
I sometimes have to have a few days off school to see my GP about something trivial, like a medial review or something. You have to ring up in the morning (phone lines open at 9), and sit there ringing and ringing until you get through, only to be told that there aren't any appointments left for that day, and no, you can't book appointments in advance unless a doctor does it for you?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless it's an emergency and then it's first come first serve :frown: otherwise I have to ring after 2.30 for afternoon clinic :frown:( for me I can't be up early. I got cut off once when I called for an app, that said I go to the clinic to see them in person instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending