The Student Room Group

Bouncers/doormen- are they like this all over the UK?

Hello

I dont go out much to clubs or bars.

On Sat I went out for the first time in ages with a friend.

The bouncers in the city I live near are knobs.

They are mega strict, they always let girls in no bother (and flirt with them etc), but are strict on guys.

They demand to see ID, I dont know why they ask me for ID, im 24 but most people say I look older....do they actually think I could be under 18!!???

i mean I have worked in various retail stores where we had to ask for ID when selling certain items to people who look young, but theres no way I would ask for ID from someone as old looking as myself )

I got turned away from a few places

Ive always noticed that bouncers abroad, when Im on holidays arent like this. In fact, quite often abroad its promotion girls in the street trying to lure you into the club, rather than some arrogant tattooed skinhead at the door harrassing men in their mid 20s and beyond for ID.

are bouncers like this all over the UK or is it just the city I was in?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by bloomblaze
Hello

They are mega strict, they always let girls in no bother (and flirt with them etc), but are strict on guys.

They demand to see ID, I dont know why they ask me for ID, im 24 but most people say I look older....do they actually think I could be under 18!!???

i mean I have worked in various retail stores where we had to ask for ID when selling certain items to people who look young, but theres no way I would ask for ID from someone as old looking as myself )

Ive always noticed that bouncers abroad, when Im on holidays arent like this. In fact, quite often abroad its promotion girls in the street trying to lure you into the club, rather than some arrogant tattooed skinhead at the door harrassing men in their mid 20s and beyond for ID.

Some places the door staff can get sacked for not asking everyone who comes though the door for id. I've known 30+ year olds asked for id since it's easier to id everyone then miss one. So they are just doing their job, and you seem to be the problem not them...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by kumori
Some places the door staff can get sacked for not asking everyone who comes though the door for id. I've known 30+ year olds asked for id since it's easier to id everyone then miss one. So they are just doing their job, and you seem to be the problem not them...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ask everyone for ID, even if they look 30??
Reply 3
It's their own little power trip, they somehow reckon they'll get a quick shag by letting the girls in, oblivious that the girls use their skin to bypass the politics of ID.

Don't let it bother you, most doormen are standing on the threshold of a **** hole anyway.
Reply 4
Hello

It is a prerequisite to be a doorman that you are a power happy little Hitler prick with a history of casual violence.

Its self-selection unfortunately, no-one else would want to be a doorman, its a **** job.
Unfortunately a lot of them are knobs. There are a few who are genuinely nice people (mainly the older ones), but most of the young ones are just insecure bodybuilders who think they are tough because they go to an MMA gym. It`s better than it used to be - before there was the SIA licensing quite a few were just psychos who loved to start a good scrap.
Reply 6
In Manchester we usually go out 12-15 lads to 6 or 7 girls and they don't bat an eyelid. Same in Brighton

On my year abroad in Paris right now and even if there is one more guy than girl and we're all refused entry! They don't ID as harshly though as they do in England (except one time when there was a group of 8 of us and they just randomly singled me out... obviously on the night I forgot my ID)
Reply 7
Ask everyone for ID, even if they look 30??

Yea, I've known 29 year olds to get asked for id that I was out with. I don't see the problem they are just doing their job. I'm sure if you got sacked for not doing one thing where you work (if you do work) you would do it every single time. Now stop being a tampon and take your id.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending