The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LosingDogs
I would love to go to the U.S, maybe charm some girls with the British accent as well :laugh: have you got anywhere particular in mind?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some relatively untapped Asian market somewhere, hopefully where I don't get killed on a beach by locallers. :moon:
Original post by Tom_Ford
Some relatively untapped Asian market somewhere, hopefully where I don't get killed on a beach by locallers. :moon:

Ah yeah good shout. I wouldn't consider an Asian country as I don't think I can abandon the western lifestyle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
People candidly talking about earning huge figures in city banks or funds etc. It's a pipe dream for most of them, sad to say. This type of money isn't a reality for most city workers as it is anyway, most are slaves for a really ****ty wage.

That's what I mean. Its really all about contacts unless you've got that leg up (year in industry) which even then isn't liable to bring success.

After watching countless family members go into the city, most of which don't deserve it, contacts are everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ****ing hell mate, now you piss me off. So you are the only one around here with family in the city (you do not even mention their rank lel)? I don't want to start listing my relatives in the city as I am not so crude. But Jesus, how in our face can you be? You are pretty condescending.
Oh ****ing hell mate, now you piss me off. So you are the only one around here with family in the city (you do not even mention their rank lel)? I don't want to start listing my relatives in the city as I am not so crude. But Jesus, how in our face can you be? You are pretty condescending.

I agree Tom. I don't understand this poor mentality from people who don't have the experience that others do, it's a way of boosting your own ego whilst putting others down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7324

Lol, u MAD?

Defo got multiple heads of desks in investment banks and directors of smaller firms dealing with mergers and acquisitions.

It's not for me anyway. Just a bit of a pipe dream to think someone who doesn't have contacts or something special will be on huge wages in the city. I can confirm there are many job openings in the places where some of my family work and I've yet to hear someone who isn't a friend or family occupy one of those posts.
I've also had family start on junior trading posts for decent firms and a few years down the line their wages have barely gone up, workload increase exponentially as they love taking advantage of juniors as if they're bitches.

Tbh just wanted to make you a lil mad idrc lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you wanna be rich, finance is the field for that. Those who dream about close to £100k outside those fields sorry (bar medics and law). Just the reality.

For engineering you most likely won't hit above £40k in this country. Maybe up to £60 IF you're top dog but you ain't getting more than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agree it doesn't pay nearly as much as finance however they're is always a high demand for engineers world wide. If you're chartered and do management then you can very easily get to 60k if not then higher. I don't plan on only finding jobs here but more so world wide. 40k is the average salary for an engineer though iirc (obvs not starting )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Agree it doesn't pay nearly as much as finance however they're is always a high demand for engineers world wide. If you're chartered and do management then you can very easily get to 60k if not then higher. I don't plan on only finding jobs here but more so world wide. 40k is the average salary for an engineer though iirc (obvs not starting )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah engineering worldwide is massive. If you plan to move out of UK and somewhere where the market is bigger you'll be on serious serious money. Very good and skilled degree though, I respect you for doing it. Just move to Malaysia and pocket $200k there if I were you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you wanna be rich, finance is the field for that. Those who dream about close to £100k outside those fields sorry (bar medics and law). Just the reality.

For engineering you most likely won't hit above £40k in this country. Maybe up to £60 IF you're top dog but you ain't getting more than that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brokering and consultancy. Anything with OTE commission that has a good basic salary can get you those figures. It is not unrealistic to get into these two industries with the requisite experience.

There are places you can get 100k, just that it is stigmatised or very stressful.
Reply 7328
Loads of industries pay 100k lol. You just have to be not ****.
Original post by jam277
Brokering and consultancy. Anything with OTE commission that has a good basic salary can get you those figures. It is not unrealistic to get into these two industries with the requisite experience.

There are places you can get 100k, just that it is stigmatised or very stressful.

I include those 2 fields within finance as fundamentally they are. Also commission isn't a stable income so wouldn't really classify that within the category.

Of course but they are few and far between. Finance is where the $$$ are everyone knows it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I include those 2 fields within finance as fundamentally they are. Also commission isn't a stable income so wouldn't really classify that within the category.

Of course but they are few and far between. Finance is where the $$$ are everyone knows it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Recruitment consultancy wouldn't count in finance though, more HR.

Mates becoming a broker. Got an internship.

Original post by samba
Loads of industries pay 100k lol. You just have to be not ****.

Essentially this.

It's not a pipe dream to believe you can get a 100k job. You have to say goodbye to any sort of life on the weekdays though. Better than being in a completely non stimulating job for sure though.

Can't handle being in a job with no edge, no money and no pressure to it. Jobs I like is the ones where you get a very good satisfaction from being good at it. Where you essentially win or lose in the job.
(edited 9 years ago)

Such a tune.
Has anyone listened to Run The Jewels 2 yet?

Hip Hop album of the year and it's free ffs.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/bands/Run-the-Jewels/46538/

4.2/5 on Sputnik.
No-one likes you Wilf, just leave lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make me.
Reply 7336

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tehe look who's talking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also ftr, you are the saddest poster on here. I don't make 20+ accounts. If I got permanently banned I would just leave.
You lot should **** off my thread. pipe the **** down and take this to PM.
Reply 7339
Original post by jam277
You lot should **** off my thread. pipe the **** down and take this to PM.

It's more fun to stoke the flame.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest