The Student Room Group

Tips to get A's?

Hey guys. As you can probably tell I'm aiming to get A's in all my GCSE's (hopefully).

But I would just like to ask if there are any tips anyone could pass on for me to help me achieve these goals?

Please and thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HarjKS
Hey guys. As you can probably tell I'm aiming to get A's in all my GCSE's (hopefully).

But I would just like to ask if there are any tips anyone could pass on for me to help me achieve these goals?

Please and thank you.

Firstly, start working now, and slowly build up your revision. Ensure that it is evenly spread right up until the exam as you do not want your knowledge to peak too early and for you to underperform in the real exam.

Plenty of rest, an obvious one here which I'm sure your teachers have probably said time and time again, but sleep is THE most valuable thing during exam periods, helping not only to regain energy (duh!) but also to reduce anxiety levels and increase your memory retention, so you're more likely to remember what you've revised after a good night's sleep! Healthy eating too, avoid all the rubbish like Red Bull.

For subjects where you have a set piece of literature to read for the exam, or a pre-release, make sure you re-read these (pre-releases are only ever a few pages long so read them multiple times, as for a novel/poetry anthology, one more time should suffice) and fully understand the concepts that they're exploring. For pre-releases, try and link it up to content you've studied across the two year GCSE course.

Ask millions and zillions and trillions of questions. It's what your teachers are there for, and ultimately, they want you to perform well this summer. Whilst you're revising, if any questions pop up in your head (relevant ones, of course), jot them down on a separate piece of paper so that you know what you want to ask when you return back to school.

Practice papers are the key to success too. Perhaps see if you subject teachers would be willing to mark additional exam practice papers from you?
Reply 2
Original post by moggington
Firstly, start working now, and slowly build up your revision. Ensure that it is evenly spread right up until the exam as you do not want your knowledge to peak too early and for you to underperform in the real exam.

Plenty of rest, an obvious one here which I'm sure your teachers have probably said time and time again, but sleep is THE most valuable thing during exam periods, helping not only to regain energy (duh!) but also to reduce anxiety levels and increase your memory retention, so you're more likely to remember what you've revised after a good night's sleep! Healthy eating too, avoid all the rubbish like Red Bull.

For subjects where you have a set piece of literature to read for the exam, or a pre-release, make sure you re-read these (pre-releases are only ever a few pages long so read them multiple times, as for a novel/poetry anthology, one more time should suffice) and fully understand the concepts that they're exploring. For pre-releases, try and link it up to content you've studied across the two year GCSE course.

Ask millions and zillions and trillions of questions. It's what your teachers are there for, and ultimately, they want you to perform well this summer. Whilst you're revising, if any questions pop up in your head (relevant ones, of course), jot them down on a separate piece of paper so that you know what you want to ask when you return back to school.

Practice papers are the key to success too. Perhaps see if you subject teachers would be willing to mark additional exam practice papers from you?

Thanks! You've been a big help! I'l try and take all your tips into mind. Wish me luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by HarjKS

Please and thank you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."
Reply 4
Reply 5
Realise that it's As, not A's.
Reply 6
Original post by alow
Realise that it's As, not A's.

Realise that you're not really helping... at all.
(edited 10 years ago)
Know your learning style? Auditory or visual etc...
I think personally it is VERY VERY important to get motivated first of all. Try to get inspired by simple little things (in life). Things that I do to get motivated:
1. Print out quotes: Life quotes, Student quotes, Funny quotes, Love quotes YOU NaME it and stick it on ur bedroom wall/toilet (make sure it doesn't get wet) make it ur wallpaper in iphone/laptop
2. Listen to relaxing music while working (by ur favourite artists- create a playlist for study)
3. Try thinking positively and believe in urself , if ur a girl (which Im not sure of sorry) compliment urself, look in the mirror (but don't get distracted n start taking selfies)
4. Think of why u need to get these A's or higher--- to make yourself and ur family proud of you, to show that you are better than your filthy enemies, to get into a specific uni....
5. EAT while you study (crisps, lollies, icecream... you can create a food playlist, again if ur a girl you might have weight concerns then I dunno eat salads or bananas)
6. Reward yourself for every page, chapter you study. But build it up slowly as u go..

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by missuniverse23
I think personally it is VERY VERY important to get motivated first of all. Try to get inspired by simple little things (in life). Things that I do to get motivated:
1. Print out quotes: Life quotes, Student quotes, Funny quotes, Love quotes YOU NaME it and stick it on ur bedroom wall/toilet (make sure it doesn't get wet) make it ur wallpaper in iphone/laptop
2. Listen to relaxing music while working (by ur favourite artists- create a playlist for study)
3. Try thinking positively and believe in urself , if ur a girl (which Im not sure of sorry) compliment urself, look in the mirror (but don't get distracted n start taking selfies)
4. Think of why u need to get these A's or higher--- to make yourself and ur family proud of you, to show that you are better than your filthy enemies, to get into a specific uni....
5. EAT while you study (crisps, lollies, icecream... you can create a food playlist, again if ur a girl you might have weight concerns then I dunno eat salads or bananas)
6. Reward yourself for every page, chapter you study. But build it up slowly as u go..

Good Luck :smile:

May I ask, why eat? Doesn't that normally just distract you? Well that's my case anyway
Original post by *Stefan*
Realise that you're not really helping... at all.

Without good grammar, how can you hope to do well in your exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Do as many past papers or questions as you can in timed conditions, and mark in detail to see exactly where you lost marks! Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Trihawk7
May I ask, why eat? Doesn't that normally just distract you? Well that's my case anyway

In my personal opinion, Brain food is quite important. It doesn't normally distract me like maybe noises around or the temperature of the room does. Food works like a memory booster. It really helps me think about a problem while crunching on a cookie or sipping green tea. As long as you don't have to continuously visit the fridge every 5 mins, it should be fine.
Reply 13
Original post by majmuh24
Without good grammar, how can you hope to do well in your exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many people refer to grades with ' next to the actual grade. This also applies to official certificates in some countries.

It has nothing to do with Grammar.

All the poster correcting this wanted was to make a smart comment, which he kind of failed in the end.
Reply 14
Original post by missuniverse23
In my personal opinion, Brain food is quite important. It doesn't normally distract me like maybe noises around or the temperature of the room does. Food works like a memory booster. It really helps me think about a problem while crunching on a cookie or sipping green tea. As long as you don't have to continuously visit the fridge every 5 mins, it should be fine.

Ahh right, I guess I'll have to try to eat cookies or something, nice excuse to eat! :biggrin:
For maths do plenty of past papers, if you learn something practice it by doing a couple of past questions. For the sciences get the specification in bullet points and tick them off, but it is applying the knowledge that counts too. For languages learn the vocab and some grammar. And just be really motivated and do the best you can so you don't have any regrets.
Original post by Trihawk7
Ahh right, I guess I'll have to try to eat cookies or something, nice excuse to eat! :biggrin:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/goboundless/12-snacks-that-prove-eating-while-studying-is-a-ma-9an5
Reply 18
Many people refer to grades with ' next to the actual grade. This also applies to official certificates in some countries.

All the poster correcting this wanted was to make a smart comment, which he kind of failed in the end.

#rekt

The original post also said "GCSE's" which is wrong in any case. Considering they give marks for SPaG in some exams, this could [however unlikely] be the difference between an A or a B. It is a bit pedantic and not particularly helpful though so yeah...

Quick Reply

Latest