The Student Room Group

FP3 matrices

Hi,

I'm told T is a transformation represented by the matrix M.

The vector (210)\begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ -1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} is transformed by T to (510)\begin{pmatrix} -5 \\ -1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}, the vector (012)\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ -1 \\ 2 \end{pmatrix} is transformed to (190)\begin{pmatrix} -1 \\ 9 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} and the vector (α01)\begin{pmatrix} \alpha \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} is transformed to (α+152α+2)\begin{pmatrix} -\alpha +1 \\ 5 \\ 2\alpha +2 \end{pmatrix} where α(α1)\alpha (\alpha \not= -1) is a constant.

Find M.

I don't want an answer or even a hint to this problem yet, I just want to check whether it actually works. I've tried solving this in a few different ways and every time I end up with α=1\alpha = -1.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by so it goes

I don't want an answer or even a hint to this problem yet, I just want to check whether it actually works. I've tried solving this in a few different ways and every time I end up with α=1\alpha = -1.

Thank you :smile:

Yes, it works.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Yes, it works.

Thank you! :biggrin:

I'll give it another go before I read the spoiler :biggrin:
Original post by so it goes
Thank you! :biggrin:

I'll give it another go before I read the spoiler :biggrin:

The spoiler doesn't give anything away - but may clarify if you're thinking about it incorrrectly.
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
The spoiler doesn't give anything away - but may clarify if you're thinking about it incorrrectly.

Ahh okay, thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest