The Student Room Group

What's your age and credit card limit(s)?

I'm 19 with 5 CCs

S123 £3,200
Capital One classic £500
Capital One Classic extra £1k
Lloyds student 1.25k
Barclaycard Initial £250

I plan to 'stooze' on the 123 card. Only ever spending what can afford!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a729
I'm 19 with 5 CCs

S123 £3,200
Capital One classic £500
Lloyds student 1.25k
Barclaycard Initial £250

5?! :eek: careful with that!

I had 4 last year (so I was 21)

aqua- £200
capital one-£600
luma-£250
vanquis-£600

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a729
I'm 19 with 5 CCs

S123 £3,200
Capital One classic £500
Lloyds student 1.25k
Barclaycard Initial £250

I struggle to see why you have the capital one classic, Barclaycard initial (unless you got one of their really good offers which they had going a while back) and a Lloyds student card

Currently I have the following cards:
Nationwide select (Visa) £2000 limit
Capital One Classic Extra (MasterCard) £500 limit

Though I'm tempted to close the cap one and reapply because new customers get favourable exchange rates internationally

And on average MasterCard tend to have ever so slightly better exchange rates than Visa do

People say to me:
Oh you're only getting 0.5% cash back. What's the point? I buy stuff for other people and pay on the following cards so I get a little commission from them :biggrin: (essentially)

With the nationwide account I also save around 3% in loading or exchange fees which is decent because I buy things sometimes on eBay in USD or CAD and two out of three of my parents telephone providers want payment in USD (Though one of those providers charges around 3.2% + $0.30 for non US customers unless you top up at least $25 (Still cheaper than others however)

Slight rant. I used to have a:

Lloyds platinum card with a 3K limit. I close this down after getting my other cards - the ones that make me money (My overall limit decreased to around £2750)

I got an aqua reward account which was amazing! But the offer has gone now and the cards are no longer a good deal IMO

I got a measly £250 on that. That card gave cash back of 3% on EVERY THING up to a maximum cash back of £100/year so I spent £3333.34 on it and then once I saw my cash back approach £100, I used it maybe once a month on cheap items to keep it running

RIP Aqua. They gave me the option of keeping my card and getting the new 0.5% cash back and I thought what's the point? Yeah I get perfect MasterCard foreign exchange fees but I also happen to gave a Nationwide card which gives me perfect Visa foreign exchange fees

And I also noticed that cap1 now have that as a feature as well

Basically my credit limit was £3000
Then went down to £2750
Now its down to £2500 (in total)

I don't have several credit cards but I do have several bank accounts. I think I'm on number 7/8 and I wish to open two more accounts - one with TSB and one with Lloyds. I also intend to upgrade my Halifax account to an ultimate reward account

With Halifax I was quite shocked that they only gave me a "basic account" so I've been pushing £187.50/week (£750/month) in to Halifax and I'll set up a direct debit to a savings company (and have my charity donation go through Halifax as well - currently going through Santander 123) to meet the requirements
I was considering making a Halifax student account but the reward account is ever so slightly better if Halifax only give me a £2000 OD (They'd have to give me more for me to use then for a student account which I doubt)

Ie: reward 123 = £60/year cashback (AFTER 20% tax) - with tax £72. And I can put that all in a Santander 123 account making £74.16/year in total

A student account would make me £60/year assuming that I get difference and I'd owe Halifax £2000

(I currently owe Co Op £2000) so I'll probably make a student account elsewhere :biggrin:

The Co Op one technically expires this year because I'm on placement :biggrin:

But yeah that's it really. I have more banks than credit cards to get all the perks - just abide by what they want as a minimum

I bank with Santander 123 mainly and I'd be sjre to keep a balance of at least £3000 and all my direct debits go through Santander (making me money back on water, electricity, mobile (x2) and broadband (soon to be x2)

I have my mums sim paid through my bank and from my mums account I have a standing order set up (my contract is also in her name)

When the contract expires I'll have my mums DD back in her account and I'll have mine in my own account

However I'll take the broadband direct debit instead because broadband is a constant charge (No fluctuations of cost) - and pay the cashback to my mum

And I also take their direct debit for electricity/gas (money sent to me by standing order) Though that won't get me any cashback because the providers Extra Energy (leccy) and Zog Energy (gas) are relatively new and Santander doesn't recognise them as a company but they save us far more than 2% so that doesn't matter so much

I'd rather we be with them and pay less than be with some other big name company, get the cashback and pay more than the 2% cashback difference

BTW I'm 21 and had my first card at around 19
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by donutaud15
5?! :eek: careful with that!

I had 4 last year (so I was 21)

aqua- £200
capital one-£600
luma-£250
vanquis-£600

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry I'll only be using the S123 & C1Xtra for cashback!

I only EVER send what I can afford!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by de_monies
I struggle to see why you have the capital one classic, Barclaycard initial (unless you got one of their really good offers which they had going a while back) and a Lloyds student card

Though I'm tempted to close the cap one and reapply because new customers get favourable exchange rates internationally

And on average MasterCard tend to have ever so slightly better exchange rates than Visa do

People say to me:
Oh you're only getting 0.5% cash back. What's the point? I buy stuff for other people and pay on the following cards so I get a little commission from them :biggrin: (essentially)

With the nationwide account I also save around 3% in loading or exchange fees which is decent because I buy things sometimes on eBay in USD or CAD and two out of three of my parents telephone providers want payment in USD (Though one of those providers charges around 3.2% + $0.30 for non US customers unless you top up at least $25 (Still cheaper than others however)

Lloyds platinum card with a 3K limit. I close this down after getting my other cards - the ones that make me money (My overall limit decreased to around £2750)

I got an aqua reward account which was amazing! But the offer has gone now and the cards are no longer a good deal IMO

I got a measly £250 on that. That card gave cash back of 3% on EVERY THING up to a maximum cash back of £100/year so I spent £3333.34 on it and then once I saw my cash back approach £100, I used it maybe once a month on cheap items to keep it running

RIP Aqua. They gave me the option of keeping my card and getting the new 0.5% cash back and I thought what's the point? Yeah I get perfect MasterCard foreign exchange fees but I also happen to gave a Nationwide card which gives me perfect Visa foreign exchange fees

Then went down to £2750

I don't have several credit cards but I do have several bank accounts. I think I'm on number 7/8 and I wish to open two more accounts - one with TSB and one with Lloyds. I also intend to upgrade my Halifax account to an ultimate reward account

With Halifax I was quite shocked that they only gave me a "basic account" so I've been pushing £187.50/week (£750/month) in to Halifax and I'll set up a direct debit to a savings company (and have my charity donation go through Halifax as well - currently going through Santander 123) to meet the requirements
I was considering making a Halifax student account but the reward account is ever so slightly better if Halifax only give me a £2000 OD (They'd have to give me more for me to use then for a student account which I doubt)

Ie: reward 123 = £60/year cashback (AFTER 20% tax) - with tax £72. And I can put that all in a Santander 123 account making £74.16/year in total

A student account would make me £60/year assuming that I get difference and I'd owe Halifax £2000

(I currently owe Co Op £2000) so I'll probably make a student account elsewhere :biggrin:

But yeah that's it really. I have more banks than credit cards to get all the perks - just abide by what they want as a minimum

I bank with Santander 123 mainly and I'd be sjre to keep a balance of at least £3000 and all my direct debits go through Santander (making me money back on water, electricity, mobile (x2) and broadband (soon to be x2)

I have my mums sim paid through my bank and from my mums account I have a standing order set up (my contract is also in her name)

When the contract expires I'll have my mums DD back in her account and I'll have mine in my own account

However I'll take the broadband direct debit instead because broadband is a constant charge (No fluctuations of cost) - and pay the cashback to my mum

And I also take their direct debit for electricity/gas (money sent to me by standing order) Though that won't get me any cashback because the providers Extra Energy (leccy) and Zog Energy (gas) are relatively new and Santander doesn't recognise them as a company but they save us far more than 2% so that doesn't matter so much

I'd rather we be with them and pay less than be with some other big name company, get the cashback and pay more than the 2% cashback difference

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just switched an account to TSB and so far like them. customer service seems better than Barclays amyway.

Original post by a729
Don't worry I'll only be using the S123 & C1Xtra for cashback!

I only EVER send what I can afford!

the Santander card seems good to be honest. would probably get that if at some point my credit rating gets better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 25, never had a credit card in my life! It would be a stupid idea because I'm still a student with no reliable income.
Reply 6

I'm keeping hold of my oldest card (student card) till I'm no longer eligible for it as it has the 2nd highest limit

I applied for Barclaycard (3 months 0%) and the Xtra on Monday

I've had the C1 classic complete since December which stops been 0% next month.

People say to me:

I remember Aqua- I couldn't get the card at the time but ahh well

I only use £'s and I'm not too keen on travelling abroad so exchange rates don't bother me!

Then went down to £2750

Halifax reward pays £6.25 a month if your not a tax payer or £75 a year!

I have 9 bank accounts- I plan to switch to First direct when they offer a £125 switching bonus again

I wanted to switch to Halifax for the £100 bonus but they only offered me the easycash account! So I'll just switch later in the year

Posted from TSR Mobile

If only all students were as financially savvy as us lol!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by a729
I'm 19 with 5 CCs

S123 £3,200
Capital One classic £500
Lloyds student 1.25k
Barclaycard Initial £250
What idiots give a 19 year old student that many credit cards?

I'm 25, I have two cards. Total limit is about £9k, although I never have any reason to use more than a tiny percentage of it.
Reply 8

I've just switched an account to TSB and so far like them. customer service seems better than Barclays amyway.

If you get the Classic + you get 5% AER on your balance up to £2k!

However you get £100 for switching to First Direct, Co-op or Halifax

the Santander card seems good to be honest. would probably get that if at some point my credit rating gets better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The best thing for me is the 3% cashback on TfL travel!
Also I'd recommend getting the S123 bank account as you get a refund of the 123 CC's £24 pa fee if you hold the 123 account too!
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't want a credit card tbh, don't like the idea of buying stuff and paying for it later. I'd rather just pay for it with money I already have using my debit card.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by MancStudent098

I'm 25, I have two cards. Total limit is about £9k, although I never have any reason to use more than a tiny percentage of it.

It's not about age but credit history
Reply 11
2 cards, age 23

Sainsburys £4.5k (raking it in on dem nectar points, 16 months interest free)
Barclaycard £2k (started at 600 but they keep giving me more)
All this sounds like a hell of a lot of work for an extra couple of hundred quid a year. Personally I never buy anything so there's no point doing this cashback dance.
Reply 13
Original post by scrotgrot
All this sounds like a hell of a lot of work for an extra couple of hundred quid a year. Personally I never buy anything so there's no point doing this cashback dance.

100 pennies make a pound. So it all adds up!

Especially if it's on things I'd have to spend money on anyway!
If you really never buy anything then you're in a unique position to many students!
Reply 14
Original post by Huskaris
2 cards, age 23

Sainsburys £4.5k (raking it in on dem nectar points, 16 months interest free)
Barclaycard £2k (started at 600 but they keep giving me more)

Is that Barclaycard initial?

Love the nectar points lol!
Original post by a729
If you get the Classic + you get 5% AER on your balance up to £2k!

However you get £100 for switching to First Direct, Co-op or Halifax

The best thing for me is the 3% cashback on TfL travel!
Also I'd recommend getting the S123 bank account as you get a refund of the 123 CC's £24 pa fee if you hold the 123 account too!

I've got the account (well technicall it's a joint one) and I like it, well worth the fee. 3% cashback on TFL? that's pretty good. do you know if it covers national rail too?
Reply 16
Original post by a729
Is that Barclaycard initial?

Love the nectar points lol!

Yeah it was. Got it when I was a student to build a credit rating, started at like £600, but then I requested an increase to £1k after like 6 months which was granted, and then about a year later they sent me a letter informing me they were doubling it.

Clearly using it to build a credit rating worked as Sainsburys offered me the 4.5k straight off the bat.

Its really good for nectar points and adds up to about a fiver a month, for buying what you would buy anyway.
Original post by scrotgrot

the cashback on the s123 account is for utilities.
Original post by MancStudent098

to be fair as long as the credit rating is good, it's fairly easy to get a credit card.
Reply 19
I've got the account (well technicall it's a joint one) and I like it, well worth the fee. 3% cashback on TFL? that's pretty good. do you know if it covers national rail too?

Yes I know, even Redspottedhanky.com too lol!

The interest and DD cashback more than pays the 123 account fee!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending