The Student Room Group

Was she flirting with me?

Last weekend my sister invited about 8 of her friends around our place to celebrate her birthday. They decided to watch a movie, and I ended up watching it with them. There was however one seat less than there were people, so one person ended up having to sit on the floor. But everytime somebody got up to get some food or drink or to go to the toilet, their seat would get nicked while they were away. Eventually it was my turn to sit on the floor, which I did, waiting for my opportunity to steal somebody else's seat as everyone else had done.

However when I did so, and the girl whose chair I'd taken came back, rather than having her turn sitting on the floor, she squeezed herself on to the seat next to me. After that she kept tickling me in an apparent attempt to get me to move. When that didn't work she put her legs across mine so she was basically sat on my lap, which prompted some of my sister's other friends to jokingly exclaim "get a room you two!". Anyway, there she stayed for the whole of the rest of the film, sat on my lap, in what was one of the most surreal movie watching experiences I ever had. I should point out that she was basically a stranger to me, I'd only seen her on a couple of other occassions, and then only briefly. So this seemed quite a strange thing to do to me. So I'd like to know whether people think she was flirting with me or whether she simply didn't want to sit on the floor?

tl;dr My sister's friend sat on my lap for the duration of a film at a house party, do you think she was likely flirting with me or not?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I would definitely say so, for all of those things are something you would do with someone you are comfortable with , or wish to be more comfortable with.
I would say if she WASN'T flirting the situation would have gone a many number of other ways, but she chose to sit on your lap with extra reason for her to make contact with you (e.g. tickling)

I'm no expert , but I hope that helped
Reply 2
Maybe, it does sounds like it.

She may of course just be like that. Play along next time and see how it goes.
Whisper in her ear "There's no rain forecasted, but you're gonna be getting wet tonight."

You'll be able whether she's into you or not by her reaction.
Reply 4
It sounds like she was definitely however that could be a part of her personality, maybe try bringing her up in a conversation with your sister to see what she says about her ( make sure it’s subtle you don’t want your sister telling her about it) :smile:
Reply 5
Dude. She's only 11. She doesn't know what flirting is.
Reply 6
Ngl happens a lot so I dunno. Guys always sit on me when I nick their seats hahah!
But worth a try nevertheless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Sounds like flirting, but I wouldn't look into it that much tbh.
Reply 8
Original post by Gibber96
Dude. She's only 11. She doesn't know what flirting is.

Pfft.. she's 16, same as me. :colonhash:
Reply 9
Original post by Ziggy Sawdust
Last weekend my sister invited about 8 of her friends around our place to celebrate her birthday. They decided to watch a movie, and I ended up watching it with them. There was however one seat less than there were people, so one person ended up having to sit on the floor. But everytime somebody got up to get some food or drink or to go to the toilet, their seat would get nicked while they were away. Eventually it was my turn to sit on the floor, which I did, waiting for my opportunity to steal somebody else's seat as everyone else had done.

However when I did so, and the girl whose chair I'd taken came back, rather than having her turn sitting on the floor, she squeezed herself on to the seat next to me. After that she kept tickling me in an apparent attempt to get me to move. When that didn't work she put her legs across mine so she was basically sat on my lap, which prompted some of my sister's other friends to jokingly exclaim "get a room you two!". Anyway, there she stayed for the whole of the rest of the film, sat on my lap, in what was one of the most surreal movie watching experiences I ever had. I should point out that she was basically a stranger to me, I'd only seen her on a couple of other occassions, and then only briefly. So this seemed quite a strange thing to do to me. So I'd like to know whether people think she was flirting with me or whether she simply didn't want to sit on the floor?

tl;dr My sister's friend sat on my lap for the duration of a film at a house party, do you think she was likely flirting with me or not?

Do you seriously even need to ask this?

:facepalm2:
Original post by cole-slaw
Do you seriously even need to ask this?

:facepalm2:

Well I'm not the most socially adept, so yeah I guess so. But, to be fair, I'm getting pretty mixed responses in this thread, with people coming to different conclusions, so it can't be all that obvious. :tongue:
Reply 11
Pfft.. she's 16, same as me. :colonhash:

Okay stud :wink:
Reply 12
Well I'm not the most socially adept, so yeah I guess so. But, to be fair, I'm getting pretty mixed responses in this thread, with people coming to different conclusions, so it can't be all that obvious. :tongue:

It's not obvious to us because we weren't there. It should be more obvious to you having been there than us sitting reading a paragraph on it - that's why you're getting mixed responses :tongue:

Why not just test the waters and flirt back?
Original post by james1211
It's not obvious to us because we weren't there. It should be more obvious to you having been there than us sitting reading a paragraph on it - that's why you're getting mixed responses :tongue:

Well I thought I described it in pretty good detail, but how am I supposed to know whether she was flirting or is just the naturally playful type/didn't want to sit on the floor? And tbh it took enormous concentration just to prevent myself getting a boner, so I spent most of my time thinking unsexy thoughts. :colondollar:

Original post by james1211
Why not just test the waters and flirt back?

I considered it, but because I was so unsure I decided against it. If I had done and it turned out badly it could've been extremely awkward for the rest of the night or might even have spoiled the entire party.
(edited 10 years ago)
That does sound like flirting to me :yep:
Reply 15
Original post by The_Dragonborn
Whisper in her ear "There's no rain forecasted, but you're gonna be getting wet tonight."

You'll be able whether she's into you or not by her reaction.

Definitely have to use this one day.
Original post by pzoDe
Definitely have to use this one day.

Don't forget to credit me. I haven't been able to find it on the internet, so I'm assuming I've actually made up my own chat-up line.
Reply 17
I considered it, but because I was so unsure I decided against it. If I had done and it turned out badly it could've been extremely awkward for the rest of the night or might even have spoiled the entire party.

Nah, it wouldn't have turned out awkward at all. Maybe you'll have felt awkward but that's just lack of confidence. If you suspect someone's flirting you always reciprocate if you're interested. Why would anyone find it awkward?
Reply 18
Original post by The_Dragonborn
Don't forget to credit me. I haven't been able to find it on the internet, so I'm assuming I've actually made up my own chat-up line.

"So where did you find that one? :wink:"

"Oh, Dovahkiin gave it to me"
Reply 19

She was definitely flirting with you.

My advice is give her the D.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending