The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Can I still change my major?

Hello everyone! I've been accepted to Lancaster University for fine art and film. However, I have recently decided that I actually want to major in history. Unfortunately, I do not think history is one of the subjects that you can study as a minor in your first year. If I call them do think there is a chance I could change my major before term starts?
Original post by alinchen
Hello everyone! I've been accepted to Lancaster University for fine art and film. However, I have recently decided that I actually want to major in history. Unfortunately, I do not think history is one of the subjects that you can study as a minor in your first year. If I call them do think there is a chance I could change my major before term starts?

I think it'll be too late to change it officially since it's a different department, but giving it a try never hurts anyone! :smile:

HOWEVER, History is an optional module in your first year, the problem is that because of your BA Fine Art and Film degree, you won't have any time in your first year to take it due to your first year meeting the full 3 credits required from modules. If you were to ask for a change to one of Fine Art or Film, then it'd mean your module drops to two or one respectively - allowing you space to do History in your first year as an optional module and from there switching majors after first year.

Any more questions just feel free to ask me :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
If you get the required grades and A Levels for history and there's space on the history course then I think it should be OK. Admittedly, the last one is the most unlikely to happen. There's no harm in asking, though.
I know someone who changed the title of their degree half way through their fourth year, although that was in the same department and they had all of the requirements for their current degree from the previous one.

Quick Reply

Latest