The Student Room Group

orthogonal matrix question

Unparseable latex formula:

A = \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}[br]6 & 0 & 2 \\[br]0 & -1 & 0 \\[br]2 & 0 & 3 \end{array} \right)\]

I've found the eigenvalues for this matrix (-1, 2 and 7). Now I have to find an orthogonal matrix P and a diagonal matrix D such that PTAP = D. I did find the bases for the eigenspaces and yet I'm still stuck.
Reply 1
Original post by shawn_o1

A = \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}[br]6 & 0 & 2 \\[br]0 & -1 & 0 \\[br]2 & 0 & 3 \end{array} \right)\]

I've found the eigenvalues for this matrix (-1, 2 and 7). Now I have to find an orthogonal matrix P and a diagonal matrix D such that PTAP = D. I did find the bases for the eigenspaces and yet I'm still stuck.

What are the eigenvectors corresponding to each eigenvalue? (that is, the span of the eigenspaces for each eigenvalue)
Reply 2
Original post by Smaug123
What are the eigenvectors corresponding to each eigenvalue? (that is, the span of the eigenspaces for each eigenvalue)

I worked them out as (0, 1, 0)T, (1, 0, -2)T and (2, 0, 1)T though I'm not sure I got the first one right.
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
I worked them out as (0, 1, 0)T, (1, 0, -2)T and (2, 0, 1)T though I'm not sure I got the first one right.

Your first one is certainly right - it's easy to calculate A.(0,1,0) = (0, -1, 0).

OK, if we call those eigenvectors e1,e2,e3e_1, e_2, e_3, we have A.e1=e1,A.e2=2e2,A.e3=7e3A.e_1 = -e_1, A.e_2 = 2 e_2, A.e_3 = 7e_3. Does that ring any change-of-basis bells?
Reply 4
oh, now I see where I went wrong, I tried to multiply A with

\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}[br]0 & 1 & 0 \\[br]1 & 0 & -2 \\[br]2 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right)\]

when that was actually the transpose. thanks

Quick Reply

Latest