The Student Room Group

Is it important to fit in at work?

Do you respect people that keep themselves to themselves?
Reply 1
Unfortunately for some, yes, it is important. But I still think you can be introverted and 'fit in' with your colleagues, or at very least have them like you. If you let them get to know you a bit and vice versa, if you show that you are willing to become part of the team socially as well as within work, it will improve overall feeling in the 'office' and you are more likely to be treated well in the case of any incidents or issues.
I respect people that keep to themselves to a point, but I think within an environment in which the norm is to at least have a chat with the colleagues now and then, 'keep to oneself' comes across as quite haughty and snobby rather than anything else. Sure, that's not intentional and thus unfair, however that is certainly what I've found a lot of people think. It's best to just give it a go, don't judge the colleagues just because they are social butterflies or you may not be, simply be friendly and offer some of yourself to the 'mix' of personalities at work.
It depends on what you are working as.
Reply 3
To some degree, I think it is.

I think everyone should be themselves, but basically just maintain a sort of amicable acquaintance with all colleagues except the ones you're interested in enough to become friends with outside of work.

At my last job, it felt really awkward when there were people who turned up without even saying hello to the rest of the team in the morning, or never ever contributed to a group conversation. I wouldn't say there was a lack of respect, per se, but certainly not the same camaraderie, and I don't think anyone would have been comfortable asking them for help or advice, because their apathy/silence felt sort of snobby, like they were too good for our conversations.
Reply 4
I think it is important. Where I work, you can't get by just working on your own as everything is a team effort. So I like to make sure I get along with everyone on the team.

But as I'm naturally an introvert, I don't tend to start conversations, I sometimes pipe in when I hear an interesting conversation taking place but I generally keep to myself, I am cautious about how friendly I get with my fellow colleagues.
Reply 5
Depends on the job, the organisation, and the individual.

I don't think you have to be willing to always go on a Friday night out, join in the cricket team, and tag along for the weekly pub quiz in order to 'fit in'.

It's important to remember that you're probably working as part of a team though. Teamwork relies on common ground and mutual discourse, so people should try and build relationships with the people that they work with. Whether that's just having a friendly chat every now and then or going to a social activity is up to the individuals though.

It's worth bearing in mind that socially people are often willing to compromise. You might opt to go to a pub quiz one night even if it's not your thing, and if you organised a bowling social people would likely come even if it's not their thing.

In my workplace last year, we had about 100 full-time employees but still managed to start a weekly 5-a-side, rounders game, pub quiz, 'stich and bitch' (knitting club), reading group and have really casual impromptu drinks in the sun, so there was sort of something for everyone :smile:
Reply 6
Is it important to fit in? No. Is it important to show that you're part of a team? Yes.

I am a very typical INFJ, quiet and reserved, not shy but I am happy in my own company and don't need many friends. However, I work in childcare where communication is vital. If something personal happens to me which could affect my emotions my colleagues do need to know so that they can support me and ensure that the quality of care we give children is not jeopardised and similarly that goes for them too. This is about the extent of how much I allow them to invade my privacy! :wink: They know that I won't go out with them on a Friday night for a couple of drinks, etc, so they don't ask me - not because they're rude but because they appreciate that I don't like it. But I'm always friendly, kind, amicable and professional and I get along very well with all my colleagues and can have a good giggle.

Marie
And what about if the people you were supposed to be fitting in with were the ones who bullied you by gossiping behind your back? Surely, then, you would just ignore them and get on with the job.

I am in customer service retail. I work for the customers, I cannot spend my day chatting to colleagues. I am a loner. Get over it. :rolleyes:

Do I really need to pretend I am different just to fit in with a few bullies who I don't actually like anyway?
Reply 8
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
And what about if the people you were supposed to be fitting in with were the ones who bullied you by gossiping behind your back?

I think this is a common behaviour in all working places :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest