The Student Room Group

maths for engineering?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LemonLizards
If it isn't possible to do A level Maths, at least you have AS level and Physics. I would ring up and ask the unis.

Chemical Engineering might be a good bet as Chemistry A level is needed, and really Chemical Engineers IMO do more Physics than Maths. And yet Physics isn't a requirement. So they might let it slide. In fact with Physics and Chemistry you'll probably be better equipped for most of the modules than a person who's just done Maths and Chemistry anyway.

You do have a Maths AS level at A, which should show you're mathematically capable. Doesn't matter it was a few years ago, still counts when it's down on the application. And when you start uni, they'll go over Maths A level anyway in the first year most likely.

I'm doing

Single Maths, Further Maths , Physics and Geology. Is that enough for Petroleum Engineering?
Original post by JAIYEKO
I'm doing

Single Maths, Further Maths , Physics and Geology. Is that enough for Petroleum Engineering?

Not too knowledgeable about Petroleum (I mean you could work in Petroleum with a chemical engineering degree, I think that's generally more common with the higher universities. I mean I looked a the requirements for Manchester and they're higher for chem eng than Petroleum).

Should be fine. Some might want Chemistry but not all do.
Reply 22
Original post by LemonLizards
Not too knowledgeable about Petroleum (I mean you could work in Petroleum with a chemical engineering degree, I think that's generally more common with the higher universities. I mean I looked a the requirements for Manchester and they're higher for chem eng than Petroleum).

Should be fine. Some might want Chemistry but not all do.

If i do f.maths (and not single), would they prefer it to single maths
Original post by JAIYEKO
If i do f.maths (and not single), would they prefer it to single maths

Maybe, but as long as you've filled the requirements you'll be fine. Other stuff, your personal statement, interview will matter more.

http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/?section=universities&page=eng_entry

I don't think it's that important really. Though you do study bits of further maths, especially in the maths modules in Chemical Engineering.
Reply 24
Original post by JAIYEKO
I'm doing

for which uni you aim?
Reply 25
Original post by studos
for which uni you aim?

Petroleum engineering probably Aberdeen or Manchester.

If my grades are good enough (A*'s) I might change to general engineering in Oxbridge.

What about you mate and when do you wish to apply
Reply 26
Original post by TheLionHearted
No way... Is further maths thaaaat essential?

It's definitely not thaaaat essential. You can get accepted without it quite easily if you have other relevant subjects. But a significant number of engineering applicants have studied further maths to some degree.
Reply 27
Original post by Engineer2015
Hold your horses Mr no engineering, I only did an AS in maths and (but three As in Physics,chem,bio) I got a first in my second year in mech eng BEng.

Nice one man. But, excluding foundation years etc, it's unlikely nowadays you'd be accepted on to an engineering degree without a full a-level in maths.
Reply 28
Original post by JAIYEKO
Petroleum engineering probably Aberdeen or Manchester.

If my grades are good enough (A*'s) I might change to general engineering in Oxbridge.

What about you mate and when do you wish to apply

I am considering Petroleum Engineering at Salford!
Reply 29
Original post by studos
I am considering Petroleum Engineering at Salford!

Yeah there entrance requirement aren't too harsh at Salford. I'll be going to Manchester. When do you wish to apply??
Reply 30
Original post by JAIYEKO
Yeah there entrance requirement aren't too harsh at Salford. I'll be going to Manchester. When do you wish to apply??

this year!

but I am extremely concerned about the limited abilities of a Petroleum Engineer

I will only be able to work for oil companies, which arent more than 5-10 afaik

what if no oil company employ me?
Reply 31
Original post by studos
this year!

but I am extremely concerned about the limited abilities of a Petroleum Engineer

What do u mean?
Original post by studos
this year!

If that's a concern why not do Chem Eng? You can still do petroleum engineering and keep your options open for the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
chem engs have imho less prospects for a petroleum engineering career
why would a company employ a chem eng and train him, while they can employ a petroleum eng right away?
Original post by studos
why would a company employ a chem eng and train him, while they can employ a petroleum eng right away?

Do you want to be a petroleum engineer or do you just want to work as an engineer in the petroleum industry?
Reply 35
a petroleum engineer
That is quite risky, probably better to do a traditional engineering discipline for at least undergrad.
Original post by studos

Most wouldn't require much training, plus they'd be able to give you tasks a petroleum only engineer couldn't do. So employability wouldn't be differ so much. These big oil companies you're referring to want experienced engineers, so it's rather unlikely (not impossible) to walk into a petrol job as an undergrad.

Universities like Heriot Watt offer chem eng with diplomas in oil and gas tech, pharm chem etc. so that may be worth looking into?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I graduate from Petroleum Engineering at University of Manchester this year.

I'm starting a job with Shell as a Petroleum Engineer from July.

If anybody has any questions fire away.
Reply 39
Original post by HugoDuchovny
I graduate from Petroleum Engineering at University of Manchester this year.

I'm starting a job with Shell as a Petroleum Engineer from July.

If anybody has any questions fire away.

1) Meng or Beng?
2) Is the starting salary good
3) was the course hard

Quick Reply

Latest