The Student Room Group

maths for engineering?

hello!

I have extremely good level GCSE maths, but I haven't done any A-level maths. Will I be able to make it in an Engineering BEng course?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No you cannot, maths is essential.
Course not.

What A levels are you doing OP?
Reply 3
Original post by studos
hello!

I have extremely good level GCSE maths, but I haven't done any A-level maths. Will I be able to make it in an Engineering BEng course?

Thanks!

Nope I'm afraid not. Universities ask specifically for A-level maths, preferably with physics.

Most applicants get an A* at gcse maths anyway so that won't help you. Plus the topics covered in gcse aren't really relevant to the course. The jump from gsce to BEng maths will be gigantic, not something any university will overlook.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by studos
hello!

Thanks!

When are planning on going to uni? You can always pick up an extra a-level or two in time for next years applications.

As the previous people have said: no maths @ a-level = no engineering. This is slowly becoming no F.maths @ at least As level = no engineering.
Reply 5
won't they help me from the uni with maths?

what maths exactly are needed? I never found maths difficult, but I have never done diffential equations etc
Original post by studos
hello!

Thanks!

Try foundation years. They're designed exactly for this sort of situation.
Reply 7
can you recommend me a book or books that include all the necessary a-level maths?
Original post by kingm
When are planning on going to uni? You can always pick up an extra a-level or two in time for next years applications.

As the previous people have said: no maths @ a-level = no engineering. This is slowly becoming no F.maths @ at least As level = no engineering.

Hold your horses Mr no engineering, I only did an AS in maths and (but three As in Physics,chem,bio) I got a first in my second year in mech eng BEng.
Reply 9
Original post by studos
won't they help me from the uni with maths?

what maths exactly are needed? I never found maths difficult, but I have never done diffential equations etc

Taking Manchester as an example they ask for Maths and Physics or M1 and M2 from maths to replace Physics.

Material varies with exam board. I did MEI..

C1-4 - integration and differentiation, methods including by parts, product rule, chain rule, quotient rule, substitutions etc. trig functions and integrations and diffs. Surds, indices etc. circles, stationary points, areas of curves.

M1-2 - linear momentum, 3D areas, tensions in strings, friction, vel-time graphs, collisions, restitution calculations, energy, newtons laws, vectors etc.

Can't recommend revision material unless I know what exam bored you're on. MEI has subject specific books that have all types of questions to and beyond the syllabus those are really useful if you're on that board.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingm

No way... Is further maths thaaaat essential?
Reply 11
What a levels did you do anyway?
Reply 12
Original post by JAIYEKO
What a levels did you do anyway?

I have AS-level in Maths and A-level in Physics and Chemistry
but many years ago, I certainly need refreshment
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by studos

So you did do maths a level?????
Reply 14
Original post by JAIYEKO
So you did do maths a level?????

not A-level, but AS-level and I don't remember much to be honest
Reply 15
Original post by studos
not A-level, but AS-level and I don't remember much to be honest

Ok and what did you get in your subjects?
Reply 16
Original post by JAIYEKO
Ok and what did you get in your subjects?

you mean grades? all A
Reply 17
Original post by TheLionHearted
No way... Is further maths thaaaat essential?
its not essential, a level maths will do
Original post by Engineer2015
Hold your horses Mr no engineering, I only did an AS in maths and (but three As in Physics,chem,bio) I got a first in my second year in mech eng BEng.

AS level Maths is a big jump from GCSE. You're at least introduced to the harder maths stuff.

Can perhaps see a guy with AS Maths being accepted in Engineering but GCSE no, which is what I assumed he only had given his post. I would really be surprised if unis accepted just GCSE maths. But it is still rare and many won't accept you.

Disagree with Further Maths. It might be preferred, but not needed. Plus don't think much of the maths really gets into the further maths level. Yes maybe the mechanics does especially for Mech Eng and Aerospace but they have to bear in mind a lot didn't necessarily do Mechanics modules. I mean afterall you don't need Physics to do Engineering as a requirement for many courses, but in Engineering you do a lot of physics, you just pick it up.

Even if you had just done GCSE maths, I see no reason why a person couldn't pick it up whilst doing Engineering. Afterall they recap and teach you the maths you need to know anyway. And the maths you use in calculations is something you can figure out with books if needed. It's not strictly so much Maths A level, as it's adapted anyway for Engineering purposes those equations. Unis only ask for it because they think it might be easier if you've done Maths A level, and it helps to select people who are mathematically able (which is their main worry).
Original post by studos

If it isn't possible to do A level Maths, at least you have AS level and Physics. I would ring up and ask the unis.

Chemical Engineering might be a good bet as Chemistry A level is needed, and really Chemical Engineers IMO do more Physics than Maths. And yet Physics isn't a requirement. So they might let it slide. In fact with Physics and Chemistry you'll probably be better equipped for most of the modules than a person who's just done Maths and Chemistry anyway.

You do have a Maths AS level at A, which should show you're mathematically capable. Doesn't matter it was a few years ago, still counts when it's down on the application. And when you start uni, they'll go over Maths A level anyway in the first year most likely.

Quick Reply

Latest