The Student Room Group

Bipolar - can I go to medical school?!

Hi, basically i have an offer for medicine - however the uni has sent an occupational health form for me to fill out (fitness to practice).
I have Bipolar - I was diagnosed 2 years ago after having a 'manic' episode and suffering from depression afterwards. on the form is asks if you have a mental disorder such as Bipolar which i will have to tick as 'yes' and also if I have been under the care of a pychiatrist which i will have to tick 'yes' to also.

following my episodes i have been stable and getting good grades for about 2 years and feel fully capable studying mendicine.

Will this mean my offer will now be withdrawn? im so scared and worried im going to lose my place and cannot study medicine anymore
Reply 1
Aslong as you're well and not a danger to yourself you won't get refused. I've been through occ health for mental health problems and they required a report from my psychiatrist and psychologist who will outline your condition(s) and recommend a decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I believe the form you have been asked to fill is purely precautional. They want to know whether you will need special assistance while at uni.

Don't worry about your offer. If this form meant anything on you getting an offer or not, don't you think they would have sent it earlier -before you were actually made the offer?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest