The Student Room Group

Befriending an International student.

I'm very curious to know if there are many of you who've become really good friends or started a relationship with an International Student. How did it go? Tell us how it started and how it's going! Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

One of my best friends was here from Malaysia, just went the same as a friendship with a home student.
My French exchange was absolutely lovely although I didn't appreciate having her at the time. We talked for a few months after that and it only stopped because we became busy; other than that she was very different to some of the other girls at her school and was friendly and chatty once I initiated conversation
Reply 3
Well, I've been studying abroad before and almost all my friends were international. Never really understood why people think they won't get along with international students. It pretty much feels the same. Plus you actually get to learn a lot about their culture and stuff... And it really feels nice to know that you will always have a place to stay if you ever visit all those countries.
Reply 4
I had a housemate who was an international student, he was chinese. He got kicked out from the accomodation because he caught a duck from the pond outside and cooked it for dinner.. I guess sometimes there are quite big cultural differences.

A real pity because he was a really nice guy! and the duck he made was absolutely delicious.
Reply 5
I'm actually curious how relationships with international students work out :tongue:
There are some cute internationals I know...
Why is this even a thread?
Reply 7
Original post by vee_wuvshugs

Why has there not been a thread on this before more like?
Reply 8
Original post by vee_wuvshugs

Why not? Seems like a thread where many can share their experiences. Some might be quite interesting..

I know someone in a relationship with an international student, she really loves this guy but it's going to have a sad end as the guy will be moving back home after finishin uni.
When I was on an exchange at a US high school, I had a lovely romantic relationship with a cute Southern cowboy - we bonded over fishing and hunting trips :colondollar: Too bad it wasn't possible to uphold due to the distance :frown: However, I still keep in touch with all my friends. We Skype all the time. I'm coming back this summer. They want to come and visit me. I recommend befriending foreigners! :wink:

Buuuut seriously, guys. People are people no matter where they come from. They're not from a different planet. You talk to them the same way you talk to your buddies, or a tad slower. It's really hurtful to be treated like a disease or a dimwitted person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by beast132
I had a housemate who was an international student, he was chinese. He got kicked out from the accomodation because he caught a duck from the pond outside and cooked it for dinner.. I guess sometimes there are quite big cultural differences.

A real pity because he was a really nice guy! and the duck he made was absolutely delicious.

This is absolutely hilarious! Your school should have pitied him! Lol!
Original post by marinaim
I'm actually curious how relationships with international students work out :tongue:
There are some cute internationals I know...

Work out quite well :tongue:. I'm half Indian, half brit and I'm dating an American girl.
Its just as it would be if I was dating an Indian girl or a British girl. There's a few more cultural differences, but it really doesn't matter in this day and age.

Most international students are just the same as any of us, just students...there's sadly some negative stereotypes about, but there's a ton of great folks. I have to say this cause my best mate is Russian and posts on here :K:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by elpistolero7
Work out quite well :tongue:. I'm half Indian, half brit and I'm dating an American girl.
Its just as it would be if I was dating an Indian girl or a British girl. There's a few more cultural differences, but it really doesn't matter in this day and age.

Most international students are just the same as any of us, just students...there's sadly some negative stereotypes about, but there's a ton of great folks. I have to say this cause my best mate is Russian and posts on here :K:

what kind of stereotypes?
Original post by Eques
what kind of stereotypes?

Well I look like I'm half white, half brown which I am :redface: and sometimes I've gotten "I'm surprised at how good your English is". I mean really? My case is a bit different, I've been educated in U.K/America primarily, but its really not a nice thing to hear.

Then there's stereotypes about how South/East Asian students don't socialize at all and are all after white women and other such garbage I have to deal with regularly.

Tons more, but those are a few examples.

There are of course a lot of people who don't do stereotype and are race blind completely, but there are a fair few people who are great girls/blokes for the most part but have these notions etched in their minds for some reason :rolleyes:.

I'm Russian lol, the main issue is not the stereotypes or whatever, I think this post and my wondering is more how it works out with the other person living in another country!
Reply 15
Well I look like I'm half white, half brown which I am :redface: and sometimes I've gotten "I'm surprised at how good your English is". I mean really? My case is a bit different, I've been educated in U.K/America primarily, but its really not a nice thing to hear.

Then there's stereotypes about how South/East Asian students don't socialize at all and are all after white women and other such garbage I have to deal with regularly.

Tons more, but those are a few examples.

There are of course a lot of people who don't do stereotype and are race blind completely, but there are a fair few people who are great girls/blokes for the most part but have these notions etched in their minds for some reason :rolleyes:.

Indeed!! And people actually stereotype about every nation!

Americans for example are "arrogant,stupid, clueless and obese".
Brits= bad hygiene, crooked teeth
Canadians= passive, boring, annoyingly polite
Asians=Straight A students, "losers"
Arabs= rich, white girls chasers
Germans= Boring, mechanical, "would secretly like to invade Europe"
Greeks (which I am)= lazy, obese, break plates after meals, corrupt

It's all bull**** if you ask me!
Original post by liberta

I agree :smile: See I've lived and visited many places, and though the environments and cultures may different at times, how people interact is basically the same. As long as you are a good person, no matter the nationality, getting along with someone from another country isn't all that difficult. I've lived in Ontario and Alberta within Canada, lived in Puerto Rico, visited Paris, Normandy, and Nice in France, and was born in New Jersey in the U.S. and now currently live in Florida.

AND in ALL of these places I met wonderful people. Truth is...again you are right: stereotypes are crap.

I've met comedic Asians, healthy Americans, exciting Canadians, very kind French, intelligent Spanish, and so on. The list is endless. Be yourself and making international friends will come naturally <3
Reply 17
Original post by Galileo20
I agree :smile: See I've lived and visited many places, and though the environments and cultures may different at times, how people interact is basically the same. As long as you are a good person, no matter the nationality, getting along with someone from another country isn't all that difficult. I've lived in Ontario and Alberta within Canada, lived in Puerto Rico, visited Paris, Normandy, and Nice in France, and was born in New Jersey in the U.S. and now currently live in Florida.

AND in ALL of these places I met wonderful people. Truth is...again you are right: stereotypes are crap.

I've met comedic Asians, healthy Americans, exciting Canadians, very kind French, intelligent Spanish, and so on. The list is endless. Be yourself and making international friends will come naturally <3

My point exactly!! :smile:
Yes.
Reply 19
Original post by liberta

Lost it here :rofl:

Does anyone actually say that stuff? :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest