The Student Room Group

UCAS Extra - What do you know about that university?

Hi!
So I received offers from University of Hertfordshire for Aerospace Tech with Management and from City University London for Aerospace Engineering. I think about declining my offers, because the course fees are too expensive and then I'd like to apply to another university in Scotland via UCAS Extra. (I'm an EU student, so SAAS should cover the tuition).

The thing is that there's only one university that offers Aircraft Engineering, which is the University of the Higlands and Islands - Perth College.
I have never ever heard anything about that one. Do they provide a high quality education? Also, their entry requirements are quite low (they only want to see a "C", so I guess I'll be guaranteed admission to that one if I apply).
What do you know about that university?
If it's not a good university, then I guess I'll simply look for another course.
Original post by samman282
Hi!
So I received offers from University of Hertfordshire for Aerospace Tech with Management and from City University London for Aerospace Engineering. I think about declining my offers, because the course fees are too expensive and then I'd like to apply to another university in Scotland via UCAS Extra. (I'm an EU student, so SAAS should cover the tuition).

The thing is that there's only one university that offers Aircraft Engineering, which is the University of the Higlands and Islands - Perth College.
I have never ever heard anything about that one. Do they provide a high quality education? Also, their entry requirements are quite low (they only want to see a "C", so I guess I'll be guaranteed admission to that one if I apply).
What do you know about that university?
If it's not a good university, then I guess I'll simply look for another course.

UHI really is a bottom ranked university, I'm afraid :sadnod:
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
UHI really is a bottom ranked university, I'm afraid :sadnod:

Too bad.
I looked for another course which I'm interested in: Engineering with Management at the Edinburgh Napier University. Is this a good one and comparable to the academic standards of Strathclyde or Glasgow?
Too bad.
I looked for another course which I'm interested in: Engineering with Management at the Edinburgh Napier University. Is this a good one and comparable to the academic standards of Strathclyde or Glasgow?

It's much less bad than UHI, but it's not as good as Strathclyde or Glasgow.
Reply 4
It's much less bad than UHI, but it's not as good as Strathclyde or Glasgow.

But is it at least better than Hertfordshire or City University? At least then it would be worth declining those offers :biggrin:.
Thank you :smile:
But is it at least better than Hertfordshire or City University? At least then it would be worth declining those offers :biggrin:.

City seems to be the best of all mentioned. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by naberbenbegum
City seems to be the best of all mentioned. :smile:

Thank you :smile:. But the fees are 9,000£/yr. My parents can't help me paying that fees and my home country would only pay 3,800£ towards tuition fees (once, not every year). So I would have to apply for Student Finance. With the interest rate it could be up to 40,000-54,000£ I have to pay back. This amount seems crazy to me, even more when I think that I could attend university here in Germany or in Scotland for almost no fees.
Do you think it's worth it?

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I'd like to make any definitive distinction between Napier and Hertfordshire - I'm not familiar with either of them to go into that level of detail.

City is a pretty good uni, but London is a very expensive place to live.

Are you aware that as an EU student, you don't actually have to pay any tuition fees upfront? You get a student loan from the UK government, and then when you have a job, you just pay back 9% of anything you earn over £21,000 per year? Most people will never repay their whole loan anyway, as any outstanding balance is wiped after 30 years.
Reply 8

Are you aware that as an EU student, you don't actually have to pay any tuition fees upfront? You get a student loan from the UK government, and then when you have a job, you just pay back 9% of anything you earn over £21,000 per year? Most people will never repay their whole loan anyway, as any outstanding balance is wiped after 30 years.

That's what I meant.
I put this information in the calculator from the Student Finance Company: http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/scheme/dgv/pws/repayment-calculator.html .

If I borrow 9,000£ each year x 3 this makes 27,000£ total. Then I put their average graduate starting salary, which is 25,000£/yr.

These are the results:
[h="2"]Estimated Results[/h]

First monthly repayment: Help
Monthly repayments will vary depending on your salary
£15

Repayment start date:
April 2018

Time to repay: Help
18yrs 1mths

Total amount borrowed: Help
£27,000

Total amount repaid: Help
£55,669

So I'd have to pay nearly 56,000£ back and this for a length of ca. 18 years, so I guess there's no outstanding balance to be wiped. Isn't that too much debt, even though I'd pay only 9% of my salary?

UHI only have a low rep because they are a new university and the campuses are all called college. Perth college is a really good university and they get a lot of international students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending