The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE's my fault? Can I still apply for Russell Group Uni's?

In my secondary school, I wasn't given the best opportunities and I was only able to leave with about 6 GCSEs and BTECs adding up to 4.5 GCSEs. We chose our options in Year 8 and could only choose 2/3 subjects. During that time, our school only had a 25% pass rate so they started doing more BTEC's to bring that up.

These are the grades I managed to leave school with:

Maths: A*
English: A
Double Science: AA (*)
IFS Level 2 Certificate: A*
Geography: B (Completed a year early)
BTEC ICT: Double Dist*
BTEC Art and Design: Merit
BTEC Business: Merit

Now I'm at college and preparing to start applying to uni by the end of this year, I've noticed my options are limited because of this. Less people are putting as much effort into helping me because I have less GCSEs to the point where and I quote: "Russell Group unis won't even look at your application". Now I'm predicted AAAB in my AS-Levels and I'm doing everything I can to improve my potential application.

Is it my fault why my GCSE profile is weak? Should I have self-studied and tried to pay for external exams to boost my profile? Should I have spent an extra year doing more GCSEs?

I'm really confused especially since everyone else at my college have about 10+ GCSE's and I have 6? People have even told me GCSE count and quality could be a tipping factor for applying for jobs as well.

Be honest, even if the criticism is brutal, all answers and views would be really helpful :colondollar:

Leechayy

Scroll to see replies

You can still apply to Russel Group Unis and you do have a shot. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't apply to good universities...especially on TSR. Focus on your AS/A2s!

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Limitless!
You can still apply to Russel Group Unis and you do have a shot. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't apply to good universities...especially on TSR. Focus on your AS/A2s!

Good luck!

Really? But my GCSEs? :redface:
I'll give it a shot but the odds are so high and the opportunities are even higher!
How much are they taken into account then?
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Leechayy
Really? But my GCSEs? :redface:
I'll give it a shot but the odds are so high and the opportunities are even higher!
How much are they taken into account then?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes really, your GCSEs!

First of all, yes your GCSEs do matter but grades are not everything.
Secondly, your AS/A2 are weighted more ( Depending on the Uni, course, employer ...whatever)

As already stated, they will be taken into account differently depending on what course you are applying for. In fact, some places don't even look at them and look at AS grades instead and offer you a place based on that.

What are you looking to apply for?

I did some BTECs too by the way... I have an offer for medicine.

Don't let people stop you, you can do this :smile:
In my secondary school, I wasn't given the best opportunities and I was only able to leave with about 6 GCSEs and BTECs adding up to 4.5 GCSEs. We chose our options in Year 8 and could only choose 2/3 subjects. During that time, our school only had a 25% pass rate so they started doing more BTEC's to bring that up.

These are the grades I managed to leave school with:

Maths: A*
English: A
Double Science: AA (*)
IFS Level 2 Certificate: A*
Geography: B (Completed a year early)
BTEC ICT: Double Dist*
BTEC Art and Design: Merit
BTEC Business: Merit

Now I'm at college and preparing to start applying to uni by the end of this year, I've noticed my options are limited because of this. Less people are putting as much effort into helping me because I have less GCSEs to the point where and I quote: "Russell Group unis won't even look at your application". Now I'm predicted AAAB in my AS-Levels and I'm doing everything I can to improve my potential application.

Is it my fault why my GCSE profile is weak? Should I have self-studied and tried to pay for external exams to boost my profile? Should I have spent an extra year doing more GCSEs?

I'm really confused especially since everyone else at my college have about 10+ GCSE's and I have 6? People have even told me GCSE count and quality could be a tipping factor for applying for jobs as well.

Be honest, even if the criticism is brutal, all answers and views would be really helpful :colondollar:

Leechayy

Mate, your 6 GCSEs are really good A* Maths and A in English is excellent. As for GCSEs I don't believe most russell group uni's care about how many GCSEs, rather what grades you have. If you get AAAB at AS you could definitely have a chance at getting offers from RG unis.
Reply 5
Original post by Limitless!
Yes really, your GCSEs!

First of all, yes your GCSEs do matter but grades are not everything.
Secondly, your AS/A2 are weighted more ( Depending on the Uni, course, employer ...whatever)

As already stated, they will be taken into account differently depending on what course you are applying for. In fact, some places don't even look at them and look at AS grades instead and offer you a place based on that.

What are you looking to apply for?

I did some BTECs too by the way... I have an offer for medicine.

Don't let people stop you, you can do this :smile:

Probably Computer Science but idk where, places I originally wanted to go seem way too far out of my wavelength :colondollar:
I hope so thanks for your support :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Galileo Galilei
Mate, your 6 GCSEs are really good A* Maths and A in English is excellent. As for GCSEs I don't believe most russell group uni's care about how many GCSEs, rather what grades you have. If you get AAAB at AS you could definitely have a chance at getting offers from RG unis.

I'm gonna go crack on :wink:
Cheers :biggrin:
Now I'm at college and preparing to start applying to uni by the end of this year, I've noticed my options are limited because of this. Less people are putting as much effort into helping me because I have less GCSEs to the point where and I quote: "Russell Group unis won't even look at your application".

Utter nonsense. You have your 5 A*-C grades, and in light of your school's poor pass rate, your grades are very good.

If you achieve your AS predictions, RGs most definitely will look at you. Some may even give you a lower offer e.g.
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/ace/PS/a2l_Eligibility.html (two grades lower at Leeds)
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/ (scroll down to the bit about contextual offers at Bristol - offers are usually one grade lower if you meet certain criteria)

Do you have any idea what subject you might like to study?

TSR will help you, even if your college won't! :jumphug:
Reply 8
Majority of unis don't really focus on gcses anyways

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Origami Bullets
Utter nonsense. You have your 5 A*-C grades, and in light of your school's poor pass rate, your grades are very good.

If you achieve your AS predictions, RGs most definitely will look at you. Some may even give you a lower offer e.g.
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/ace/PS/a2l_Eligibility.html (two grades lower at Leeds)
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/ (scroll down to the bit about contextual offers at Bristol - offers are usually one grade lower if you meet certain criteria)

Do you have any idea what subject you might like to study?

TSR will help you, even if your college won't! :jumphug:

I know I want to study Computer Science :tongue:

TSR over the past two years, have been my guardian angel :ahee:
Dunno what I'd do without them :biggrin:
:jumphug: Thanks for the links!
I know I want to study Computer Science :tongue:

TSR over the past two years, have been my guardian angel :ahee:
Dunno what I'd do without them :biggrin:
:jumphug: Thanks for the links!

Computer Science isn't ubercompetitive, so I reckon you'll be absolutely fine :yep:

Have you started to have a look at the websites of different unis? www.whatuni.com allows you to search by A Level entry requirements, which is pretty useful as a starting point.
Reply 11
Original post by Origami Bullets
Computer Science isn't ubercompetitive, so I reckon you'll be absolutely fine :yep:

Have you started to have a look at the websites of different unis? www.whatuni.com allows you to search by A Level entry requirements, which is pretty useful as a starting point.

I'm gonna go on it now :tongue:
Ahh that's good :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I studied computer science at a RG uni and my GCSE grades were awful (I was sick during my final two years at school) - mostly D grades except for maths and English. So with a set of really good grades from a struggling school will look really good for you. A lot of struggling schools pushed students towards BTECs so the universities are going to be aware of your situation.

Computer science isn't too competitive and they'll be looking for good A levels in the correct subjects rather than punishing you for decisions you didn't get to make.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I only have 5 GCSEs and I go to a Russel Group university.

My school recommended that I do BTECs too.
Reply 14
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I studied computer science at a RG uni and my GCSE grades were awful (I was sick during my final two years at school) - mostly D grades except for maths and English. So with a set of really good grades from a struggling school will look really good for you. A lot of struggling schools pushed students towards BTECs so the universities are going to be aware of your situation.

Computer science isn't too competitive and they'll be looking for good A levels in the correct subjects rather than punishing you for decisions you didn't get to make.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh right so will I be able to fit all these "extenuating circumstances" on my application? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by rayquaza17
I only have 5 GCSEs and I go to a Russel Group university.

My school recommended that I do BTECs too.

Which uni did you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which uni did you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Newcastle.
Reply 17
Original post by rayquaza17
Newcastle.

Nice :awesome:
You still there or you graduated? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice :awesome:
You still there or you graduated? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still there - I'm just a fresher!
Unis do take into account which school you went to, and if the rest of your application is good you should have no problem. With regards to your grades, you should take full responsibility for what you got, but what you got isn't bad at all.

Quick Reply