The Student Room Group

how to play music in my car?

i have a modern car an iphone, and a wire to connect the two. whats the easiest way to get decent quality music? Do i need to download each song individually and transfer it to itunes then on my phone to be able to play it in the car? Or can i make playlists/ is there an easier way using spotify or something?

I'm happy to pay for a subscription if needs be, im just rubbish at technology and want an easy way to listen to the bands i like, in the car (as i often have to do long 6hr + drives and am bored of my cds)

thanks !
Reply 1
What car?

and based on your information, it's essentially using your car as the headphones / speakers

Do you not have songs on there already ?
Reply 2
Spotify is good. Worth the £10 per month.
Reply 3
Get Spotify (the best £10 spent in any month of the last few years for me!), and get an iPod compatible/bluetooth head unit.

You get the bonus of massively improving your sound and being able to charge your device at the same time. Or, if you go down the bluetooth route, no cables in the way of anything and you can leave your phone in your glovebox.

Decent iPod compatible head units are only around £60-90 now and make it much easier (and legal...) to use your iPod/phone whilst driving.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I just set my radio switch buttons to R1, Capital, Heart etc... that play good songs.

Though I usually plug my phone in via AUX to my car and play playlists and generated radios from my phone through Spotify (which is half price if you have a student discount card of any sort).

However, I've only started doing this since I got on my unlimited data plan :smile:
Reply 5
I listen to the radio 90% of the time because I'm usually on deliveries where I'm in the car 15 minutes at a time max, usually 5 or 10 minutes. It's too much effort to keep on hitting play each time I start the engine, and on long trips I like having the company of the DJs talking. With other people in the car I just let them be in charge of my iPod with lots of music *ahem* borrowed from the internet.
Reply 6
You shouldn't need to transfer them to itunes or anything, just connect your phone to your computer by USB cable and drag-and-drop songs you've downloaded/own into wherever the audio files are in your phone.

When you connect it with the aux cable in your car, there should be a "radio/aux" button somewhere - Press that and it'll play whatever you select on your phone screen when you turn the radio on. :smile:

Spotify is decent, but it's £10 a month and you'd need an unlimited data plan on your phone, or it'd probably end up costing a ton extra... If there's any songs you don't have and want to listen to, using the aux cable you can always just find a song on youtube to play it through your car using a little of your mobile data rather than having a massive subscription.
Original post by Nuffles
I listen to the radio 90% of the time because I'm usually on deliveries where I'm in the car 15 minutes at a time max, usually 5 or 10 minutes. It's too much effort to keep on hitting play each time I start the engine, and on long trips I like having the company of the DJs talking. With other people in the car I just let them be in charge of my iPod with lots of music *ahem* borrowed from the internet.

If You See Nuffles Driving His Delivery Whip, Blacked Out Box, Smell Coming Out, Look Like A Dominos Cheese And That, He Don't Kick Ball, Does He Look Like A Baller? See Nuffles Driving His Delivery Whip, Who Told You He Smells Like Crap, See Nuffles Driving His Delivery Whip
Original post by Mickey O'Neil
look like a baller, P's n' dat... :cool:
Reply 8
Original post by Aivicore
You shouldn't need to transfer them to itunes or anything, just connect your phone to your computer by USB cable and drag-and-drop songs you've downloaded/own into wherever the audio files are in your phone.

When you connect it with the aux cable in your car, there should be a "radio/aux" button somewhere - Press that and it'll play whatever you select on your phone screen when you turn the radio on. :smile:

Spotify is decent, but it's £10 a month and you'd need an unlimited data plan on your phone, or it'd probably end up costing a ton extra... If there's any songs you don't have and want to listen to, using the aux cable you can always just find a song on youtube to play it through your car using a little of your mobile data rather than having a massive subscription.

Hi, thanks this was really helpful! Just got a bit confused about spotify. I've seen i can get it for £5/month (being a student) which seems quite good! How exactly would it work? I have an iphone 5 with 1gb of data/month and my car is fairly new (3 or 4 years from brand new) ford. Do i just subscribe to spotify then can make playlists and connect phone to car via aux and it will work? will it only work if i am driving through areas where i can get internet or can i make offline playlists? Also, will my music on spotify go in "my music" on my phone? Sorry if these are really obvious questions!
Reply 9
Original post by tpxvs
Hi, thanks this was really helpful! Just got a bit confused about spotify. I've seen i can get it for £5/month (being a student) which seems quite good! How exactly would it work? I have an iphone 5 with 1gb of data/month and my car is fairly new (3 or 4 years from brand new) ford. Do i just subscribe to spotify then can make playlists and connect phone to car via aux and it will work? will it only work if i am driving through areas where i can get internet or can i make offline playlists? Also, will my music on spotify go in "my music" on my phone? Sorry if these are really obvious questions!

Spotify will eat into that 1gb quite quickly

Do you not already have music on your iphone?
If you do it's just a case of plugging it in via USB and it should start auto playing all your songs. Playlist is optional

Although you can play offline if you have spotify premium. You have to make a playlist and then click make available offline and it will download it to your phone so it's not using your data up.

Quick Reply

Latest