The Student Room Group

Stay at home mum

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by donutaud15
thanks for posting, I appreciate what you have said. As I've mentioned before I would have had a child a while back if we were financially stable so it's something we absolutely want. The career thing, well I have ideas but I'm so uncertain so tbh I don't really which sector I really want to be in. If things are still uncertain for me job wise in few years, I'm hoping to start my own business or do another qualification (whether it's a masters, pgce or something similar) to help me be more employable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like you have a plan for post child rearing so if it is something you both really want then go for it. I had my eldest when I was 22 and my youngest at 23 no regrets and if anything it has made me so much more focused and driven to get the career I want. Kids give you a whole New perspective on life xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
thanks for posting, I appreciate what you have said. As I've mentioned before I would have had a child a while back if we were financially stable so it's something we absolutely want. The career thing, well I have ideas but I'm so uncertain so tbh I don't really which sector I really want to be in. If things are still uncertain for me job wise in few years, I'm hoping to start my own business or do another qualification (whether it's a masters, pgce or something similar) to help me be more employable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello there ! I understand your concern and I absolutely know how difficult it is to get a job in this economy, I am not in your position myself but in my gap year after my 1st degree it took me a really long time and loads of rejections to get a job. Well in terms of advice wise, what i can suggest you to do is to use your media skills :smile: and become your own boss... You can tutor students in A levels or GCSE's in subjects like english or computers or something. There are loads of tutoring agencies you can go through or post an ad on gumtree in your area and see what other tutors are charging....Why not start a photography type business, all you need is a camera , take pics at graduations, b-day parties, weddings etc you can do this in the mean-time as a sort of career ''jump start'' that way you will still be employed without actually being employed. I do feel for you thoa, as I would want a family in the future but with the career i am going into in the future I am going to have to find someway to juggle that. I do wish you the best of luck xx
Reply 62
Original post by xmhairix
Sounds like you have a plan for post child rearing so if it is something you both really want then go for it. I had my eldest when I was 22 and my youngest at 23 no regrets and if anything it has made me so much more focused and driven to get the career I want. Kids give you a whole New perspective on life xx

I'm 22 now so hopefully I'll have a baby next year. We've always wanted a baby so it would be great. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by lilmissA
Hello there ! I understand your concern and I absolutely know how difficult it is to get a job in this economy, I am not in your position myself but in my gap year after my 1st degree it took me a really long time and loads of rejections to get a job. Well in terms of advice wise, what i can suggest you to do is to use your media skills :smile: and become your own boss... You can tutor students in A levels or GCSE's in subjects like english or computers or something. There are loads of tutoring agencies you can go through or post an ad on gumtree in your area and see what other tutors are charging....Why not start a photography type business, all you need is a camera , take pics at graduations, b-day parties, weddings etc you can do this in the mean-time as a sort of career ''jump start'' that way you will still be employed without actually being employed. I do feel for you thoa, as I would want a family in the future but with the career i am going into in the future I am going to have to find someway to juggle that. I do wish you the best of luck xx

The tutoring is a really good idea so thanks for that. I would likely sign up to tutoring agency soon as I could probably do that now. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
The tutoring is a really good idea so thanks for that. I would likely sign up to tutoring agency soon as I could probably do that now. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ace! All the best :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by lilmissA
Ace! All the best :smile:

thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Thanks for all the opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
I don't think you're taking into account that you might not get pregnant for quite a while. It takes a lot of people a good 6 months to a year to conceive. Then add on the 5 + years before your kid starts school.

If you're having problems getting a job now, what makes you think it's going to be easier when you've spend 6 years unemployed, have no more experience and are probably now tied down to having a 9-5 or even part time job.

Obviously it's your decision, but it does seem like a strange idea just because you've had little success getting a job so far. Maybe think about why this is and come up with some more practical solutions.
Reply 68
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I don't think you're taking into account that you might not get pregnant for quite a while. It takes a lot of people a good 6 months to a year to conceive. Then add on the 5 + years before your kid starts school.

If you're having problems getting a job now, what makes you think it's going to be easier when you've spend 6 years unemployed, have no more experience and are probably now tied down to having a 9-5 or even part time job.

Obviously it's your decision, but it does seem like a strange idea just because you've had little success getting a job so far. Maybe think about why this is and come up with some more practical solutions.

I do know that it could take a while before getting pregnant. If I don't fall pregnant straight away (six months or so) then I would consider starting a business and/or as someone here have suggested tutoring. The last six months of this year would be busy for my family anyway and since I haven't got a grad scheme to start in Sept, I've agreed to help my family in some things.

I realise that employment would be hard to come by after a gap but as I've said previously on here, I am planning to do a masters or pgce (depending on what I decide to do then) part time while I look after my child and I'm hoping it will help with employment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending