The Student Room Group

Is it ok to simply ignore the homeless? Should you report it to the police?

Or to another appropriate number? I've always wondered this. I don't like seeing people sleeping rough on the street, it doesn't seem humane. But when I walk past them, I don't know what to do. I feel especially bad if I encounter them sleeping in the streets at night.

We have services in place to help the homeless yet for some reason or other people choose to not use them and sleep on the streets. I don't believe this is right, plus they are endangering their own health sleeping outside not only due to the weather and hygiene reasons, but also sleeping outside in the open is not safe. I do not believe they should be allowed to.

Yet usually we just ignore them. Sometimes if they're begging, we give them a bit of money, but I do wonder if this really helps them or what they spend it on. A lot of stores will not serve these people due to their attire/hygiene and may believe it will bother other customers. Surely the priority should be getting a roof over their head.

Is there specifically a number I can contact if I do come across someone homeless? And if not (or even regardless), do you think it is right that society turns a blind eye to the homeless if you encounter them in the street?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LemonLizards
Or to another appropriate number? I've always wondered this. I don't like seeing people sleeping rough on the street, it doesn't seem humane. But when I walk past them, I don't know what to do. I feel especially bad if I encounter them sleeping in the streets at night.

We have services in place to help the homeless yet for some reason or other people choose to not use them and sleep on the streets. I don't believe this is right, plus they are endangering their own health sleeping outside not only due to the weather and hygiene reasons, but also sleeping outside in the open is not safe. I do not believe they should be allowed to.

Yet usually we just ignore them. Sometimes if they're begging, we give them a bit of money, but I do wonder if this really helps them or what they spend it on. A lot of stores will not serve these people due to their attire/hygiene and may believe it will bother other customers. Surely the priority should be getting a roof over their head.

Is there specifically a number I can contact if I do come across someone homeless? And if not (or even regardless), do you think it is right that society turns a blind eye to the homeless if you encounter them in the street?

This is a big issue in the UK, especially London.

The problem is that if you were to phone the police, they would just move the homeless person from that 'spot'... to which they would simply find another 'spot'. There is nothing the police can do if the person isn't causing any trouble. Even if they are causing trouble, the police usually put them in a cell for the night, then let them back on the street.

Some homeless people are homeless by choice. Some don't want to be found by family. Some are alcoholics / drug addicts who cannot hold a stable job, therefore cannot pay rent properly. My view is that if they wanted help, they would seek it themselves. There are plenty of shelters in London (yes some over crowded), but if they really wanted to change their lifestyle, they would.

I used to give money to the homeless. Then realised they were using that money to fund their habits. So I started buying sandwiches instead, and giving that to them. The majority of them are grateful even for this.
Reply 2
Original post by Knalchemist
This is a big issue in the UK, especially London.

The problem is that if you were to phone the police, they would just move the homeless person from that 'spot'... to which they would simply find another 'spot'. There is nothing the police can do if the person isn't causing any trouble. Even if they are causing trouble, the police usually put them in a cell for the night, then let them back on the street.

Some homeless people are homeless by choice. Some don't want to be found by family. Some are alcoholics / drug addicts who cannot hold a stable job, therefore cannot pay rent properly. My view is that if they wanted help, they would seek it themselves. There are plenty of shelters in London (yes some over crowded), but if they really wanted to change their lifestyle, they would.

I used to give money to the homeless. Then realised they were using that money to fund their habits. So I started buying sandwiches instead, and giving that to them. The majority of them are grateful even for this.

Someone responded! :biggrin:. Was so heartbroken when I wrote that post and didn't get a single reply :frown:.

I'm not so much in the mind that homeless people cause trouble. Most don't. And I do realise some do it by choice. But I don't think it should be allowed. I would rather they were forced to go to shelters or be placed in some sort of accommodation. It's very sad that they are on the streets, and I believe that pretty much all of them would prefer to be indoors than outside if not for the reason they were homeless in the first place (often alcohol or drugs). These people who are homeless do need help even if they seeking it themselves. And I feel as my fellow man, that we should help them.
Original post by LemonLizards
Someone responded! :biggrin:. Was so heartbroken when I wrote that post and didn't get a single reply :frown:.

I'm not so much in the mind that homeless people cause trouble. Most don't. And I do realise some do it by choice. But I don't think it should be allowed. I would rather they were forced to go to shelters or be placed in some sort of accommodation. It's very sad that they are on the streets, and I believe that pretty much all of them would prefer to be indoors than outside if not for the reason they were homeless in the first place (often alcohol or drugs). These people who are homeless do need help even if they seeking it themselves. And I feel as my fellow man, that we should help them.

I agree completely, that something should be put in place to keep people off the streets.

However, as I said, some are there by choice - they want to be on the streets so they aren't found. It's a very social lifestyle, and many of them stay in the same place for years, with others, they become like a family (which can be nice to see).
Reply 4
Some people prefer to be homeless, well not prefer but would rather be.
Others probably tried to get a place in a hostel but it was either full or they are the wrong sex (I can only speak for my area but the hostel/shelter options for males are significantly smaller than the choice females have. There are also vastly more people needing a bed or a room than the actual number of beds and rooms available. Once a place is full, its full, there are no "squeeze a couple more in".
If you want to see more people off the streets you'd need to create more accomodation, jobs, training, counselling (in some cases) for a start.
you can't really do anything about homeless people - they'll always exist,
because in life, there are those that will want to get on in life, and then there will be reckless people who don't

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending