The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

Should I do IGCSE or A level English language for BA Fine art?

Hi, I am 21 and currently doing a foundation diploma in art and design from home. I have been home-educated in the past. A foundation diploma is equivalent to 2 A levels but I need an English Language qualification, either a GCSE or A Level. I would do the IGCSE not regular GCSE. Which should I do? I have looked at the work for A Level and past papers for IGCSE and the IGCSE looks a little easier, but of course it would, it is a lower qualification. I do not know if I should do the A level, which is a higher qualification, but is potentially more work, and I would have to take both the AS and A2 exams during the exam season next year, or an IGCSE, which is potentially less work but a lower qualification, and although UWE have apparantly said an IGCSE would be acceptable, (I paraphrase, my mother spoke to them on the phone), I wonder if it would harm my chances of getting into UWE because it is a lesser qualification than an A level. My mother would help to teach either the IGCSE or A level work. Advice please.
Reply 1
Take IGCSE and then A level?
Is English your first language?

Also, when I say take IGCSE and then A level, just take IGCSE in say November and do A level in June depending on how much work you need to put in hence why I'm asking whether English is your first language.
(edited 10 years ago)
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by danconway
Take IGCSE and then A level?
Is English your first language?

Also, when I say take IGCSE and then A level, just take IGCSE in say November and do A level in June depending on how much work you need to put in hence why I'm asking whether English is your first language.

Yes English is my first language. To do both would take too long a time for me, I need to choose one or the other.
Reply 3
Original post by moon4
Yes English is my first language. To do both would take too long a time for me, I need to choose one or the other.

Well if English is your first language, you really don't need the stepping stone of IGCSE then. Go straight for A level but can I point out that VERY few people take English Language A level IGCSE is all you need. My school doesn't even offer English Language for A level. But have a look at the spec and past papers and make an informed choice.

Remember, you can do IGCSE in your sleep. A level actually requires study.
Reply 4
Well if English is your first language, you really don't need the stepping stone of IGCSE then. Go straight for A level but can I point out that VERY few people take English Language A level IGCSE is all you need. My school doesn't even offer English Language for A level. But have a look at the spec and past papers and make an informed choice.

Remember, you can do IGCSE in your sleep. A level actually requires study.

Do you know why your school doesn't offer it?
Reply 5
Original post by moon4
Do you know why your school doesn't offer it?

It's just not seen as important instead they do English Literature. Basically, IGCSE English Language is the highest qualification in Language we get and it's proof enough of competence in English no-one's ever been picked up by a university: in fact, it's very much normal only to have GCSE level English (because GCSE English is rigorous enough).
Reply 6
It's just not seen as important instead they do English Literature. Basically, IGCSE English Language is the highest qualification in Language we get and it's proof enough of competence in English no-one's ever been picked up by a university: in fact, it's very much normal only to have GCSE level English (because GCSE English is rigorous enough).

IGCSE/GCSE English or A level English in addition to a foundation diploma is what required to a BA in Fine art at UWE. I think A level English Language is required at most universities to do a BA in Fine art, so it is odd that your school wouldn't provide that A level. I am guessing that if anybody at your school wanted to do a BA in fine art, they would either have to try to get in to university with a GCSE in English language and foundation diploma in art or design or go a college or study at home to get the A level in English language.
Reply 7
Original post by moon4
Hi, I am 21 and currently doing a foundation diploma in art and design from home. I have been home-educated in the past. A foundation diploma is equivalent to 2 A levels but I need an English Language qualification, either a GCSE or A Level. I would do the IGCSE not regular GCSE. Which should I do? I have looked at the work for A Level and past papers for IGCSE and the IGCSE looks a little easier, but of course it would, it is a lower qualification. I do not know if I should do the A level, which is a higher qualification, but is potentially more work, and I would have to take both the AS and A2 exams during the exam season next year, or an IGCSE, which is potentially less work but a lower qualification, and although UWE have apparantly said an IGCSE would be acceptable, (I paraphrase, my mother spoke to them on the phone), I wonder if it would harm my chances of getting into UWE because it is a lesser qualification than an A level. My mother would help to teach either the IGCSE or A level work. Advice please.

IGCSE is significantly easier so you're perhaps better off doing that. Also they shouldn't view it as any lesser as not everyone has an A level in English Language. My current school is well known for art and they send students to various art institutions and as my school doesn't offer English Language (just Lit) many go without and most if not everyone gets their desired place.
On the uni website they specify that a C grade and above in GCSEs will suffice so you should be fine with IGCSE above a C. Hope that cleared things up for you! your best bet is talking to the university itself which is what you have done so I wouldn't fret over which one to pick but you must have a C grade in GCSE/IGCSE so you might as well do that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending