The Student Room Group

I want to open my own revision website for everybody

Hey guys,
I want to open a free revision website which has most of the gcse syllabus and past papers available. I sorted out my own domain which I'm gonna buy in the summer. I already know some HTML5 and usage of Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 (pretty basic). All i have to do is to learn how to incorporate CCS3 into html code for use as a template. Any advice or books you suggest? Anyone wanna join in?
Thanks guys

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Awww what you're doing is good! I'd love to help, if I can in anyway just private message me!
I would like to learn about designing websites too. I cannot recommend any books as I haven't looked into them yet but below are some websites recommended by friends who have used them.

1) CodeAcademy - Start here for basics (Free)
2) Treehouse - Basic - Advanced (1 month free trial)
3) CodeSchool - Basic - Advanced (Paid)

Good luck for your website!
I'd love to get in on this! I'm quite a visual person so I'm constantly drawing out concepts on my computer.
What subjects are you going to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by L'Etudiant
I would like to learn about designing websites too. I cannot recommend any books as I haven't looked into them yet but below are some websites recommended by friends who have used them.

1) CodeAcademy - Start here for basics (Free)
2) Treehouse - Basic - Advanced (1 month free trial)
3) CodeSchool - Basic - Advanced (Paid)

Good luck for your website!

Thanks man! Im gonna screenshot this so that I can start during summer. Any updates I will post on this thread. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by reemaisthinking
I'd love to get in on this! I'm quite a visual person so I'm constantly drawing out concepts on my computer.
What subjects are you going to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Triple science, English literature (note heavy subjects) as well as typing out notes which i had made for RE, French and ICT
Can't help with this but wish you all the best :wink: :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by bevaansh
Hey guys,
I want to open a free revision website which has most of the gcse syllabus and past papers available. I sorted out my own domain which I'm gonna buy in the summer. I already know some HTML5 and usage of Adobe Dreamweaver CS6 (pretty basic). All i have to do is to learn how to incorporate CCS3 into html code for use as a template. Any advice or books you suggest? Anyone wanna join in?
Thanks guys

That is so cool and lovely thanks.:smile:
Reply 8
Why not buy your domain now? .co.uk domains are dirt cheap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by NIMBAH

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because they have an expiration date so it depends if OP buys it for one year or two years etc or for infinity.

Plus what's the point of having a domain when you haven't designed a lot of the stuff and you aren't 100% sure of the domain name.
Reply 10
Original post by bevaansh
Hey guys,
Thanks guys

I'm willing to help you get this up and running, done it with a lot of sites before.

Drop me a PM if ya need me.
Reply 11
Original post by zed963
Because they have an expiration date so it depends if OP buys it for one year or two years etc or for infinity.

Plus what's the point of having a domain when you haven't designed a lot of the stuff and you aren't 100% sure of the domain name.

It's like £3 so it doesn't really matter, not to mention whoever hosts the domain well most likely allow the op to renew before the lease runs out.

Just in case someone else takes it ? Not likely but still.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always wanted to start doing YouTube videos for A Level Maths, Further Maths and Physics but figured that they would just get lost in the background noise of everyone else doing them. If you wanted to do videos and the like I'd be more than happy to film some. You could probably find a lot of people on TSR who are particularly good at their given subjects - you could get material for quite a wide variety of subjects at different levels.

The only thing I'd warn you is that you'd have to quality check everything to make sure there were no mistakes, because it'd be pretty damaging to your reputation as a website if you had erroneous stuff on there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by NIMBAH

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes I am :smile: My domain only costs £15
Reply 14
Original post by zed963

Ive actually decided on my domain and just about to buy it :smile:
Anyways, i got adobe muse and dreamweaver as well as text wrangler to help me
Reply 15
Original post by arcturus7
I always wanted to start doing YouTube videos for A Level Maths, Further Maths and Physics but figured that they would just get lost in the background noise of everyone else doing them. If you wanted to do videos and the like I'd be more than happy to film some. You could probably find a lot of people on TSR who are particularly good at their given subjects - you could get material for quite a wide variety of subjects at different levels.

The only thing I'd warn you is that you'd have to quality check everything to make sure there were no mistakes, because it'd be pretty damaging to your reputation as a website if you had erroneous stuff on their.

Thanks for your advice. Once i get things going, I'll be sure to pm you.
Reply 16
Original post by CodeJack
I'm willing to help you get this up and running, done it with a lot of sites before.

Drop me a PM if ya need me.

Thanks mate. Will pm you soon as I need any help. :smile:
Excellent idea. Will it be a business venture or something you are doing to help people out?
I've had this idea for a while, would love to help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I had a similar idea but I couldn't be bothered to design a website so I just hopped on wordpress instead. I have quite a bit of notes typed up for a few subjects and I'm more than happy to help if needed (probably in the summer after the exams though).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending