The Student Room Group

D2 Dynamic Programming Edexcel

Hi.
I'm on the last question on Exercise 7C and I've basically completed the question but I don't understand why the smallest value is chosen in the last stage (Sunday). I thought it would be the largest seeing as you're trying to maximise the income. It's probably something simple I'm missing but any explanation would be great. I've attached my working and the question. Thank you. :smile:
Original post by NicCx

but I don't understand why the smallest value is chosen in the last stage (Sunday)

Perhaps I'm being thick, but which value are you refering to? Could you elaborate?
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
Perhaps I'm being thick, but which value are you refering to? Could you elaborate?

26 is the answer, but I would have chosen 27 as it's the largest value. Sorry!
Original post by NicCx
26 is the answer, but I would have chosen 27 as it's the largest value. Sorry!

I would certainly go with 27, from what you've posted (nicely laid out, by the way).

Either you've made an arithmetic slip (I'll check in a minute - currently looking at another thread as well), or the book is in error - and all books have some errors in.
Reply 4
I would certainly go with 27, from what you've posted (nicely laid out, by the way).

Either you've made an arithmetic slip (I'll check in a minute - currently looking at another thread as well), or the book is in error - and all books have some errors in.

Thank you. I checked it on solution bank and the working is the same as mine with 2 26's and a 27 in the last stage and that has also chosen 26. It wouldn't surprise me if the book is in the wrong though, it does have quite a lot of mistakes in. Most are corrected on solution bank however, so I'm not sure.
Original post by NicCx
Thank you. I checked it on solution bank and the working is the same as mine with 2 26's and a 27 in the last stage and that has also chosen 26. It wouldn't surprise me if the book is in the wrong though, it does have quite a lot of mistakes in. Most are corrected on solution bank however, so I'm not sure.

I get the same results for the table.

I'd put the book's and solution bank's answer down to an aberration.

Yours is the correct answer - 27.
Reply 6
I get the same results for the table.

I'd put the book's and solution bank's answer down to an aberration.

Yours is the correct answer - 27.

Great, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest