The Student Room Group

Best 'Cramming' success story you know..

What is the best result you've heard someone achieve in their A-Level results with a month or under revision.

Personally, mine is my brother. He started his Maths revision 16 days before the exam and got an A* in the A-Level.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I heard about a girl in the year above who got an A* in Biology with five days revision.
Alot of people cram.
Reply 3
I gave up with literature AS and took a punt at chapter 7 of The Great Gatsby coming up. So I revised it the day before. And guess what!
Reply 4
once it was ten minutes before a GCSE exam so i picked up a maths book and quickly skimmed through it.
A*, near perfect score, missed out on a perfect score because i was late on revising. i still kick myself over that day
Started properly revising the day before for AS level History and English Literature. Got As.

I did the same for Biology but got a B, so now I'm having to resit a unit :colonhash:

Not cramming quite as badly this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by doctordee
I heard about a girl in the year above who got an A* in Biology with five days revision.

A-Level? That can't be possible :eek:
Reply 7
Original post by Changing Skies
Started properly revising the day before for AS level History and English Literature. Got As.

I did the same for Biology but got a B, so now I'm having to resit a unit :colonhash:

Not cramming quite as badly this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You revised the day before for AS Biology and got a B? :eek:
Original post by Top Queen
What is the best result you've heard someone achieve in their A-Level results with a month or under revision.

Personally, mine is my brother. He started his Maths revision 16 days before the exam and got an A* in the A-Level.

By revising, do you mean just going over what he has already studied and is comfortable with or actually learning from scratch? :eek:
I had a week to revise 8 big topics/political theories for my A-level politics exam. I left it late because I was also revising for my English Literature A-level and AS-level retake, so I was re-reading all the texts which was so time consuming! And I was so engrossed in Game of Thrones. I did not sleep more than 2 hours a day during that week, the night before the exam I did not sleep at all. The exam questions were like a gift from God, all the answers to the questions were fresh in my mind. I wrote down all my Mnemonics and flipped through my notes in my mind that I had memorised and supplemented my essays. Walked out with an A overall.

I would never, ever do it again though. I don't like cramming, I remember nothing afterwards. I never cram now at university.

EDIT: By revise I mean learn the content since I did not attend more than 4 lessons nearing the end of my A-levels.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by bottled
once it was ten minutes before a GCSE exam so i picked up a maths book and quickly skimmed through it.
A*, near perfect score, missed out on a perfect score because i was late on revising. i still kick myself over that day

No way! That's incredible!
Reply 11
Original post by L'Etudiant
By revising, do you mean just going over what he has already studied and is comfortable with or actually learning from scratch? :eek:

He had gone to lessons like everyone else, but did no revision during the time just his homework.
You revised the day before for AS Biology and got a B? :eek:

Somehow, yes :tongue: I seem to cope better under pressure, because when it gets to the day before, you know it's your last chance to revise :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
I had a week to revise 8 big topics/political theories for my A-level politics exam. I left it late because I was also revising for my English Literature A-level and AS-level retake, so I was re-reading all the texts which was so time consuming! And I was so engrossed in Game of Thrones. I did not sleep more than 2 hours a day during that week, the night before the exam I did not sleep at all. The exam questions were like a gift from God, all the answers to the questions were fresh in my mind. I wrote down all my Mnemonics and flipped through my notes in my mind that I had memorised and supplemented my essays. Walked out with an A overall.

I would never, ever do it again though. I don't like cramming, I remember nothing afterwards. I never cram now at university.

EDIT: By revise I mean learn the content since I did not attend more than 4 lessons nearing the end of my A-levels.

You did all your revision the week before???
Reply 14
Original post by Changing Skies
Somehow, yes :tongue: I seem to cope better under pressure, because when it gets to the day before, you know it's your last chance to revise :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My gosh! That is amazing, so you did no revision beforehand? :eek:
Reply 15
Only revised a day before my AS geography exam and managed to get an A :biggrin:
You did all your revision the week before???

Yes, I had so many exams that had many topics that needed to be covered in detail. I neglected Politics, but I worked my arse off for that A within that week. Every revision technique you can imagine, I tried all lol.
Reply 17
Original post by Jooooshy
I gave up with literature AS and took a punt at chapter 7 of The Great Gatsby coming up. So I revised it the day before. And guess what!

You did well?
Reply 18
You did well?

Chapter 7 came up and I got my A :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
Yes, I had so many exams that had many topics that needed to be covered in detail. I neglected Politics, but I worked my arse off for that A within that week. Every revision technique you can imagine, I tried all lol.

Ahah such as?
Well done!!!

Quick Reply

Latest